detachable steering wheel

anthony

First it depends on your vehicle. Provided it is possible (see below), I can recommend Wyvern Accessories in Shepton Mallet. tel:01749 880 703 who supply the 'Snap-Off' steering wheels. I had one for 7 years on our last motorhome and it was excellet: - enabled much easier swivelling of driver's seat - a superb security device with a barrel lock that, once in place, prevented the wheel from being fitted and would have taken ages for a thief to drill out - the benefit of a somewhat smaller wheel, making it much easier to steer and control the vehicle without it feeling like a lorry. HOWEVER, modern vehicles with an air bag in the steering boss require the air bag to be disabled. This is possible on some vehicles provided your insurance company agrees (it counts as a vehicle modification), but not on others. The Renault Master cannot be modified, for example. Call Wyvern and they'll tell you. They are also at most motorhome shows.

Clive, The reason people want them is to make swivelling the driver's seat easier. However they are also a brilliant theft deterrent, EVEN if left in the van. This is because a small, metal barrel lock is fitted into the steering wheel which aligns with a hole in the steering boss. When locked, you cannot inadvertently remove the wheel whilst in motion. ALSO, when the wheel is removed, the lock is put back in place and prevents the wheel being put back onto the boss. The only solution is to drill out the hardened steel lock, which would take some considerable time. Of course, they can still nick your van by lifting the front wheels onto a dolly frame!

Hi Clive I have a removable wheel fitted to a 2004 Boxer, and previously to a 2000 Boxer, the fitting boss supplied by Wyvern Accessories. I leave the wheel in the van when removed, but with the lock inserted. The fact that the wheel is missing is a good deterrent to thieves, but the benefit of being able to completely swivel the drivers is a major bonus. I would not like to be without it, although if we were to change to a van with an airbag in the wheel, it would be a big miss. Talk to Wyvern! Ken

Ah, Well you can learn something every day! I had this image of going to a restaurant for a meal out with a steering wheel in the wife,s handbag!! But if all the bits are left in the van and all you have with you is the key to the lock are there not simpler ways of achieving the required level of security? If however its because you want to rotate the drivers seat then perhaps a simple lockable hinge at the pivit point would allow all services to the wheel to be maintained whilst providing the clearance between the steering column and the rotated seat back when the wheel was folded. Some larger cars do have a wide range of adjustment of steering wheel rake and height and column length. If our base vehicles had this facility perhaps the rotating seat problem could be overcome? No doubt the debate will continue. C.

Archived