Garmin 760 LMT-D in Aldi

Bulletguy

Worth noting that the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D is still on offer in Aldi at £200.....£100 less than the cheapest store prices such as Halfords etc.Just shows how much net profit is being made on these things!!

However the 760 does not give FULL Europe coverage.

Steve928 - 2015-04-11 3:14 PM

Just checked the versions on sale at Halfords, Amazon and Maplin and they DO include full European mapping (45 countries) so presumably that accounts for some of the price difference to Aldi's offering.

Afraid it doesn't Steve. Believe me if it had i would have bought one by now!

If you read the 'spec' closely you will see it says "UK, ROI & Europe"

Garmin currently do 23 different models with FULL Europe......and the 760 LMT-D is not one of them. The best way to find which models have it is to go to Garmins website here; https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-p1.html and scroll down the side bar menu till you see "Full Europe Maps"

Fair enough.

Halfords for example give this link on the 760lmt product page to show which countries are covered and the doc it loads says Full Europe, but I really haven't looked into it further than that.

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/Garmin_Map_Coverage_Full_Europe.pdf

Maplin says Full Europe too

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/garmin-760lmt-d-caravan-and-motorhome-7-inch-gps-with-lifetime-european-maps-n19de

But I'm only clicking on links. Happy to accept that you're correct re what's actually in the box.

I think you’ll find that Garmin’s “Camper 760LMT-D” device does have ‘Full Europe” mapping, despite the Garmin website’s filtering system suggesting that it might not.

Adverts for the device mention coverage of over 40 countries and this in-depth review

http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_camper760_en.html

says (three times) that it covers “all of Europe”.

If you want to be sure, ask Garmin product support

https://support.garmin.com/support/sw/escalateForm

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-12 8:57 AM

I think you’ll find that Garmin’s “Camper 760LMT-D” device does have ‘Full Europe” mapping, despite the Garmin website’s filtering system suggesting that it might not.

Adverts for the device mention coverage of over 40 countries and this in-depth review

http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_camper760_en.html

says (three times) that it covers “all of Europe”.

If you want to be sure, ask Garmin product support

BIB is precisely how i know Derek though i didn't email them......i phoned them some weeks back now.

I'd been looking for a Garmin and after searching on Halfords, PC World, Currys and Amazon i noticed that some were just described as coming with mapping for "Europe" where others were described as FULL Europe.....so i spoke with a guy at Garmin who confirmed the definition i'd suspected.

The 760 LMT-D is among the range which does not come with FULL Europe. Garmin guy confirmed that.

I can understand how people get confused as TT have a different way of describing their mapping as 'Western Europe', 'Central Europe' and 'Europe' with the latter giving the widest coverage.....unlike Garmin.

Guest JudgeMental

There have been updating issues with this version. Long thread on MHfun forum, worth reading the last page....

Can't get link to transfer on my phone...

well i bought one and it has full europe mapping! even iceland and it was from aldi, only used it for 2 weeks now and still exploring it, seems good to me! one anomaly is it keeps saying narrow road or sharp bend and its not there!! then when there is a sharp turn it doesn't say owt!! but as i say not looked into it yet

jonathan

JudgeMental - 2015-04-12 7:18 PM

There have been updating issues with this version. Long thread on MHfun forum, worth reading the last page....

Can't get link to transfer on my phone...

This is probably the MHFun discussion you had in mind

http://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/aldi-with-garmin.104602/

It seems likely that the updating problems mentioned in the MHFun thread stemmed from the Garmin Express updating procedure rather than relating specifically to the Camper 760LMT-D device.

I use a Mac not a PC and, although I needed to update my Mac’s elderly operating system to allow me to run Garmin Express, once that had been done registering and bringing up to date the maps on my recently-acquired Garmin nuvi 2559LM sat-nav was easy and went without a hitch.

The Camper 760LMT-D appears to be a variant of the dezl 760LMT-D ’truck’ sat-nav that apparently has ‘Full Europe’ mapping (though Garmin’s advert does not make that 100% clear), so it should be a fair bet that the Camper device would also have Full Europe mapping.

Jonathan has confirmed that his Aldi-sourced Garmin Camper sat-nav has Full Europe mapping, but just in case there are variations in a 760LMT-D’s ‘European’ mapping I’ve e-mailed Garmin as follows:

"Garmin’s overview for the Camper 760LMT-D device states that it is "preloaded with detailed maps of Europe”. Could you confirm, please, whether the “detailed maps of Europe” statement indicates that the Camper 760LMT-D device has FULL Europe maps, or regional Europe maps?”

silverback - 2015-04-12 11:39 PM

well i bought one and it has full europe mapping! even iceland and it was from aldi, only used it for 2 weeks now and still exploring it, seems good to me! one anomaly is it keeps saying narrow road or sharp bend and its not there!! then when there is a sharp turn it doesn't say owt!! but as i say not looked into it yet

jonathan

The reason it has Iceland in is because it's part of Western Europe......which is the mapping the 760 LMT-D comes with as well as Central (if purchased in the UK). Garmin simply state this as "Europe" in their model specs. For example, it has no coverage of Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Greece,Turkey, Ukraine etc which is a great pity.

When i spoke with Garmin about the precise definition of their mapping coverage they sent me a file through which shows the countries covered by FULL Europe and those of Western/Central Europe but it's a PDF file and this forum won't let me upload it.

There is a huge difference between "FULL Europe" and models with "Europe".

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-13 1:57 PM

The Camper 760LMT-D appears to be a variant of the dezl 760LMT-D ’truck’ sat-nav that apparently has ‘Full Europe’ mapping (though Garmin’s advert does not make that 100% clear), so it should be a fair bet that the Camper device would also have Full Europe mapping.

The Dezl 760 is indeed the truck driver variant and does come with "Full Europe".....but it must be remembered this is not the Camper 760 which does not have "Full Europe" and that is the model on sale in Aldi.

For anyone thinking of buying the Dezl 760 there are quite a few unhappy truck drivers posting videos on YouTube. Here is one;

You can buy what we are referring to as 'Full Europe' for £75. City Navigator Europe products are here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/europe/c452-c454-c496-atFILTER_REGION_EUROPE_01-p1.html

Interestingly, apart from Northwest Eastern Europe they list only full Europe (£75) or individual countries.

Although I have lifetime full European map updates on my Nuvi2595LMT I often don't bother with Garmin's update procedure as there are plenty of reports of devices getting 'bricked' by it. I just download the unlocked maps from one of the free forum sites that Google can find for you.

Steve928 - 2015-04-14 9:49 AM

You can buy what we are referring to as 'Full Europe' for £75. City Navigator Europe products are here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/europe/c452-c454-c496-atFILTER_REGION_EUROPE_01-p1.html

Interestingly, apart from Northwest Eastern Europe they list only full Europe (£75) or individual countries.

This is correct. And to add that map to the Camper 760 sold in Aldi would make it a £275 gps. Why bother when a 2699 LMT-D already comes with that mapping for £180 (PC World or Currys). Only difference being the 2699 is a 6" screen.

Interesting comments you made about Garmin updates. I'd be tempted to contact them over that.

In response to my inquiry about this sat-nav device’s country coverage (see my previous posting of 13 April 2015 1:57 PM) Garmin Support have confirmed that the Camper 760LMT-D DOES indeed have ‘Full Europe’ mapping.

The Camper 760 sat-nav appeared to be a variant of the ‘truck’ 760, replaced the discontinued 560LMT Camper Deluxe device (that was advertised as having full European mapping) and expert reviews of the Camper 760 mentioned that full European mapping (45 countries) was included. So - as I suggested earlier - it would have been reasonable to expect that the Aldi-sold Camper 760LMT-D would also have Full Europe mapping.

I don’t know if Garmin’s packaging is standardised, but the box that my 2559LM model came in carries on one end the legend “Western Europe 24” above a diagram showing which European countries the sat-nav covers.

Even if a Camper 760LMT-D’s box does not visually indicate its European mapping coverage, It should be fairly straightforward if (like Jonathan) one owns this device to confirm experimentally how much of Europe it can handle. My Garmin 2559LM can set up trips as far east as Austria, but no further (which is exactly what I would anticipate as it’s a Western Europe-only device) whereas a device with ‘Full Europe’ mapping ought to have a much longer eastern ‘reach’.

(I’ve thanked Garmin for the information and suggested that it would be helpful to potential buyers if - when the word “Europe” was used in their sat-nav adverts and specification - it was always prefixed with “Western” or “Full” depending on how much of Europe the device covered.)

I read the manual for the sat nav, and it says full Europe. I had no reason to doubt this, but decided not to buy one as I have an expensive snooper that is a pain, but I can live with.

I read the contributions from experts who hadn't read up on it or contacted Garmin as Derek did with increasing amusement, assuming as they did that the Aldi offering must be inferior.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-15 2:06 PM

In response to my inquiry about this sat-nav device’s country coverage (see my previous posting of 13 April 2015 1:57 PM) Garmin Support have confirmed that the Camper 760LMT-D DOES indeed have ‘Full Europe’ mapping.

(I’ve thanked Garmin for the information and suggested that it would be helpful to potential buyers if - when the word “Europe” was used in their sat-nav adverts and specification - it was always prefixed with “Western” or “Full” depending on how much of Europe the device covered.)

Indeed it would!! (bib)

After reading your posting i've just telephoned Garmin again to ask 1) why the Camper 760 LMT-D is not showing as FULL Europe on their website and 2) why on TWO separate occasions it was confirmed from Garmin themselves the Camper 760LMT-D does not have FULL Europe.

The guy i spoke with previously (Robert), who emailed the PDF file stated that it did not have FULL Europe.

The guy i've just spoken with, Ryan. now confirms all this is wrong and indeed it does have FULL Europe. He admits he finds it strange why the Camper 760 does not show as a FULL Europe model on their own website so i suspect that will now be changed......particularly as i told him that was a deciding factor for me against purchasing.

I also mentioned about the thread on this forum and he's since had a look at it whilst we were on the phone.

Billggski - 2015-04-15 4:36 PM

I read the manual for the sat nav, and it says full Europe. I had no reason to doubt this, but decided not to buy one as I have an expensive snooper that is a pain, but I can live with.

I read the contributions from experts who hadn't read up on it or contacted Garmin as Derek did with increasing amusement, assuming as they did that the Aldi offering must be inferior.

Never doubted the validity of the Aldi offer as it's a good price....£100 less than anywhere else, and a Camper 760 LMT-D is the same wherever it's purchased from.

The 'doubt' has been caused by conflicting reports from Garmin themselves as you will have seen from my posts. This has now been clarified and Garmin will certainly update their website to include the Camper 760 in their FULL Europe models.

A copy of the “Camper” device's manual can be found here

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/RV_760_OM_EN.pdf

and I can’t see anything that specifically identifies the mapping’s scope as being “Full Europe”.

The reason why the 760LMT-D does not appear on Garmin’s website as having “Full Europe” mapping is due to the way Garnin’s ‘filters’ are set up.

A device category (Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks, Caravans/Motorhome, Fleet, Discontinued) normally has several entries and may be subdivided by Range and/or Series. Depending on what’s in the category mapping coverage can be UK and Ireland, Regional Europe or Full Europe.

The exception is the Caravans/Motorhome category that contains just a single device - the Camper 760LMT-D - and there’s no requirement to provide a mapping filter because there’s no choice. The only current Garmin Caravans/Motorhome sat-nav device is the Camper 760LMT-D and a buyer has to accept whatever mapping Garmin has provided.

As Garmin’s website describes the device as having "Customised Camper routing for Europe”, it’s plain that its mapping is not restricted to the UK and Ireland. I suspect that most buyers would assume that the mapping is “Full Europe” (which it is) so won’t be disappointed when they buy the product.

In this particular instance Bulletguy needed to be certain that the Aldi-sold device had “Full Europe” mapping and was wrongly advised by Garmin. That incorrect advice was given proves that Garmin’s information about the Camper device’s mapping coverage is (at best) ambiguous.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-16 8:45 AM

A copy of the “Camper” device's manual can be found here

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/RV_760_OM_EN.pdf

and I can’t see anything that specifically identifies the mapping’s scope as being “Full Europe”.

Neither can i.......maybe Billggski can tell us on which page of the manual that is stated?

Derek Uzzell - 2015-04-16 8:45 AM

As Garmin’s website describes the device as having "Customised Camper routing for Europe”, it’s plain that its mapping is not restricted to the UK and Ireland. I suspect that most buyers would assume that the mapping is “Full Europe” (which it is) so won’t be disappointed when they buy the product.

In this particular instance Bulletguy needed to be certain that the Aldi-sold device had “Full Europe” mapping and was wrongly advised by Garmin. That incorrect advice was given proves that Garmin’s information about the Camper device’s mapping coverage is (at best) ambiguous.

That's just it though Derek. 'Assuming' wasn't ever going to be enough for me when about to shell out £200 i needed to be 100% certain of what i'm getting for my money. When Garmin told me not just once, but on TWO separate occasions it wasn't FULL Europe....i wrote it off and didn't buy as any gps without that is of no use to me. So you can imagine my surprise on reading what you received back from Garmin which was enough to get me to contact them again.

The chap i spoke with yesterday, Ryan, immediately said without hesitation "yes FULL Europe....".

Not only ambiguous, it left me wondering just how many potential sales of the Camper 760 have been lost by such incorrect information, though given how many units overall Garmin must have sold over the years, plus the fact the GPS market is now in decline, i doubt they are too bothered!

Update; Bought a Camper 760 from my local Aldi yesterday.....the last one in stock!

When buying an item, what do people want to look at.....the item, the manual.....or the box it comes in? Most people would want to see the item, some may want a quick browse of the manual if there is one, but nobody is interested in the damn box!! Yet regarding the 760 mapping this is precisely where that information is.....on the back!!

http://oi62.tinypic.com/fdaiwm.jpg

Of course the manual is 'online' and there is no mention in that of map coverage despite being fairly comprehensive. It doesn't even give any recomendation on size/class of micro sd card either! Apart from the unit the only items in the box are a 12v lead, Connector block, USB lead, screen sucker mount, screw fixing mount (if you want to screw into dashboard) and a few leaflets.

The guys at Garmin should have looked at the box! I couldn't as it wasn't on display.....but who asks to look at a box?!!!

In my earlier posting of 15 April 2015 2:06 PM, I mentioned the possibility that the coverage of the Garmin Camper device’s mapping might be displayed diagrammatically on its box.

I agree with you that there is no 100% certain indicator of this device’s mapping coverage other than the diagram on the box that you have provided a photo of. Based on the information that was otherwise available I would have assumed that the coverage was “Full Europe” (which is why I originally questioned your statement that it was not) and, if I had been planning to purchase this sat-nav and Full Europe mapping had been important to me, I would also have checked with Garmin.

You’ll note that, despite your being adamant that the Camper device did not have Full Europe mapping (having been told so by Garmin) I still chose to check with Garmin myself. This was because I believed that the sat-nav probably did have Full Europe mapping and I thought that what Garmin had told you was incorrect. If Garmin’s reply to my e-mail had been that the mapping was not Full Europe, I would have demanded that they recheck. But that’s because I suffer from terminal scepticism, a disease that fortunately does not afflict many people.

Archived