Elddis 115

Mark  Fliss

Hi

We are relatively 'newbies' to the motorhome world but we have dreamt of the possibilities one might bring us for many a long year!

We have looked at quite a few and for a long time and (until we hired one in Scotland) we fancied a VW but found a T4 way too small for us and frankly not a great experience. We were cramped, cold & miserable most of the time and our poor dog was accidentally stood on on several occasions!

We have now gravitated to an Elddis 115, we like the size, layout and quality seems good? We have been offered a new one by a dealer in Hull at a fairly tempting price (or so we think). But feel we ought to go to Peterborough on Sunday week to see if we can do better.

Can anyone give us their thoughts and advice regarding our ideas?

Thanks

Mark n Fliss

Hi Mark & Fliss and welcome to the forum.

I think your idea is spot on but there is always the chance that you might see another van that you prefer!

As you have a known deal on offer on a van you like, which is a very popular UK style layout that has stood the test of time, that gives you a wonderfully strong bargaining tool to play one dealer against another.

When you can't get any more on price don't stop, keep smiling, don't say yes and ask for the essential things you will need like gas bottles, mains lead (should be with a new van but often not used), water hose, cruise control, reversing camera, crockery set, extra battery - in fact anything you can get for nowt!

Do be aware that motorhomes are not amongst mankind's most reliable creations and buying from a dealer close to home will be a godsend with the warranty if things don't go to plan and it proves troublesome.

Personally I would always ask for a damp check even on, some might say especially on, a new van!

I do seem to recall that Elddiss make - or used to make - special edition models based on their own range for several dealers which might give you more choice.

Too right Mark. Get yourself down to Peterborough if you can and have a look at what is on offer. You can get some higher spec/better designed vans for second hand money which may better suit you and new alternatives to the Elddis [115 looks good value].

Think about what you want to do with your motorhome. Not all can get down narrow roads or over the Alps in winter. Some are better for 'wild camping' and some are happier on camp sites. If you can post a few ideas before you go to Peterborough of how you want to use a motorhome, how many are going to use it, how big is the dog and does it bite when stood on, and whether you have any special needs, you give us the chance of making alternative suggestions. We like that!

Things we think of are, can we park the thing at home or in a storage yard, what loading margin is there and is it enough?

If you get the chance at Peterborough, wander into the areas where there is overnight parking, look at the vans there, and don't be shy of asking questions of people you see. Motorhomers love answering questions and being helpful. A few of the experienced MM posters will be parked up somewhere. I'll be in with the Motorhome Facts lot.

Hi guys

Thanks for your prompt replies.

To flesh it out a bit, there's just the two of us & Rubyfox our small Border Collie - who fortunately doesn't bite! I think initially our plan will be long weekends in the UK and as a tight Yorkshireman 'wild camping' for free appeals to me a lot. But, we are thinking more long term European trips in the future. A new van attracts us, I think simply just for the feeling we're the only ones who have used it - but again I'd get over myself if the price was right. Do you have any idea about initial depreciation on new ones? We particularly like the Elddis 115 with the kitchen at the rear and bed in the centre etc which would give Ruby a lot of space too. \we also like the compact size if I'm fair, I'd say we don't just want a surf bus but on the same token don't want a full house on wheels - we see the 115 as a good compromise. Yes I also agree a local dealer might be a good thing if we have any problems, they are offering us some toys too inc, parking camera, 3m awning, TV & bike rack. They also mentioned this SOLiD build feature which does sound quite good to me - what do you think?

Please feel free to fire away with any more questions and opinions as it helps us a lot.

Cheers M&F

Historically in recent years Elddis have been seen as more of a 'budget' brand which can mean cutting production costs and using less expensive materials but it also means they are very popular and good vfm.

All vans depreciate but I don't think Elddis are amongst the worst but if you want an idea look at secondhand prices of 1 to 3 year old vans in relation to new prices.

That said a new van will always lose value quickly before steadying but sometimes due to dealers needs to meet quotas and targets a good enough deal can be stuck to offset some of that early loss and offset against that depreciation should be a three year warranty for peace of mind if you need it.

Look particularly at pre-registered or last years models where the differences to this years model are mainly cosmetic but at reduced cost and when it is three years old nobody will know it was reduced price so it will be the same value as any other van of it's registration year and mileage.

All just personal opinions of course!

The 115 should be good for weekends away but if you decide to go wild camping for longer periods, then you need to think about the shower unit, water tank capacity, battery power. I'd be less keen on the Elddis for long term Continental touring but that's a personal observation rather than a careful assessment of the van itself.

SOLiD was a much needed improvement for Elddis and should reduce the risk of damp penetration.

Having bought several new vans, I can understand the attraction of new. Depreciation is not as bad as cars but does vary by make and model. Elddis' will not keep their value as well as say premium German brands as you might expect. You'll lose at least 20% when you leave the dealers! As Tracker says, compare the prices of second hand ones.

If you want to take bikes, think about a garage model. They are longer but your bikes can be kept in the garage so the total length won't be that much different. You'd also get a permanent fixed bed above the garage which some people like.

The 115 layout is common in UK and some continental vans so there is plenty of choice. As you say, it is a good compromise. It works for many people.

Our 1st motorhome in 2007 was a 115 a nice comfortable layout . quality and price for an  entry level motorhome , the big mistake we made was to trade it up for a fixed bed Ace Airstream 680FB , but you learn by your mistakes . We toured France for 2 summers in the 115 mainly using Aires and found the utilities adequate for the 2 of us plenty of space in a compact coach built. Yes the shower could have been better , but you don't live in the shower.

Even with the improved SoLiD construction, these are still budget vans, running on a standard chassis rather than the Fiat camper variant.

From what I witnessed at the NEC, there are still short-comings in terms of structural finish.

What's the external storage like?

I would hate to have a van where the only access to your 'outside' items is 'inside' the van.

An decent external locker is a must - in my opinion.

Are tanks onboard, and decent capacity?

Me? - I'd go for a better quality, sub 3 year used van - and get more for your money.

Hi

Thanks for your reply - we seem to be learning more and changing thoughts hourly at the mo!

Good point I've just been looking at my mate's Fiat Ducato which seems real good and has a bit of space between shower & the back doors for those outside items you mention. We also liked the large opening side door and find that more appealing when the sun is out than a little door. He also thinks as a van conversion not coach built it handles better & doesn't feel rocky in the wind or passing lorries etc. Downside is that his cost about 52k which is way out of our league I'm afraid.

What vans would you suggest at sub 3 years that might fit the bill we're at about 30k & going to Peterborough next Sunday.

Thanks Mark

I think you need to decide if its Coachbuilt or PVC you want - and good stroll around Peterborough might help you make the right choice!

There are quite a few 'slim' coachbuilts around now, and you will invariably find a CB will have better insulation and greater internal space over a PVC of similar length.

Your mate has point about the driving experience - although if you buy a CB on a camper specific chassis with a low-profile body, there's not much [if anything] in it - but with the Elddis115 option that could well be the case.

Everybody has their own take on what the best camper is - but obviously it's down to personal choice.

I fought very hard against the fixed bed concept - but now I would never go back to old school bed-making.

Do be sure to try out the beds on any prospective purchase, because you'll be spending a lot of time there!

Good Luck with your search....

Mark & Fliss - 2015-04-12 4:46 PM

Hi

Thanks for replying - what are Aires?

Mark

If you Google 'Aire de camping car' lots of info will come up about this facility in France but the concept holds good for other countries in mainland Europe too and in Germany they are known as 'Stellplatz' with or without the word 'wohnmobil'.

Best to make no decisions about which van until you have had a real good look around at Peterborough and as one man's meat is another man's poison form your own ideas rather than listen too much to what others recommend.

Once you have a short list would be a good time to ask for views about their experiences from owners and ex owners and views in general from everyone else.

Hi Just part exchanged my Auto Sleeper Lancashire for a Elddis Sunseeker (dealer special autoquest 115) hope to pick it up in mid may.

Obviously we like it, similar layout to our current van, Elddis have increased the size of the water tanks now to around 90 litres, wouldn't have bought it if it was any smaller.

There are a few things I have reservations about 110 bhp engine for starters although the new van has a six speed box, drove alright, the blinds are not as good (let light in at the bottom) but the furniture seems better quality etc no doubt we will find out in due course.

Our last three new vans were auto sleeper the first two were o.k but we have had to put a lot right with the last one at great expense.

Pete

Hi Pete thanks for your reply.

I'm interested in your comments and will certainly watch out for what you refer to. What went so wrong with your last van?

Did you get a good deal on the new one - dare I ask how much you had to pay - understand if you'd rather not reveal. We're looking @ 31k inc toys!

Cheers

Mark

Archived