Advice on Selling

NoFX_Caz

I'm not sure you can class Rapido construction with those of the 'traditional' old school methods, used by so many builders - even until quite recently.

But as I suggested earlier, you may have some ingress to deal with...

It's a Rapido, not some budget Elddis or old Autohome, so hopefully won't be worthless!

I'm amazed that you have not seen the need to protect the damaged area though - however temporary.

Guest Peter James
globebuster - 2015-05-29 9:43 AM

I'm not sure you can class Rapido construction with those of the 'traditional' old school methods, used by so many builders - even until quite recently.

But as I suggested earlier, you may have some ingress to deal with...

It's a Rapido, not some budget Elddis or old Autohome, so hopefully won't be worthless!

I'm amazed that you have not seen the need to protect the damaged area though - however temporary.

If you do decide to do some interim repairs, please don't use Plumbers Mait 8-)

How is the construction of this (Rapido) van so different ?

PS: Incidentally. Plumbers Mait is what stops the contents of our toilet flooding through the bathroom floor when we flush it. When we trust it to do that why would we not trust it to keep the rain out of a motorhome ? All I can say is I used it to seal a roof mounted fan 6 years ago and there is no sign of any leakage. Unlike there is in some of the 'approved' sealants recommended on here, and even factory fitted by the vehicle manufacturers.

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2015-05-27 1:08 PM

Jeez....Stay away from dealers and there BS. LHD are very popular with many but not all. I and any on here i respect would not touch RHD with a barge pole....

Just advertise it all over the place at a good price....now the perfect time to sell

Eddie I have travelled the continent extensively and seen how parking (and camping) facilities for all vehicles are far better than Britain. So I can understand you becoming disillusioned with Britain. But you seem to be taking that to ridiculous lengths. Please realise that not everything British is rubbish - far from it.

Guest Peter James
globebuster - 2015-05-29 10:45 AM

I would have thought the difference in design and construction was obvious.....

Isn't that just Bluff and Bluster rather than answer the question?

It is not obvious to me why this vehicle wouldn't be so affected by water ingress. So I ask again in the hope you will treat us to some of your knowledge of the subject.

Guest Peter James
globebuster - 2015-05-29 10:45 AM

By all means carry on with the Plumbers Mait yourself, but please don't extol the virtues of this product as a suitable sealant with which to bond...

Isn't that what they call a 'Straw Man argument?

I have never said Plumbers Mait was suitable to bond anything.

(Only that I have used it successfully as a sealant)

Peter James - 2015-05-29 8:12 AM

But I don't think you can gauge the level of interest until the van is here and MOT tested - why would anyone wait for yours to arrive when there are plenty to choose from available now?

It is returning to the UK on Monday with the MOT on Friday, not a long wait and with one of us only being in the UK for just 2 weeks (I am staying longer but have business to take care of) we started looking for a potential buyer earlier rather than later.

Well it has been dry stored for the entirety of the winter, we put it away at the end of last summer and it has only been out and about for the last few weeks. It still has it's summer tyres on from last year and the winter tyres are inside. The real test now will be the drive back to the UK, hopefully the weather will be as nice as it has been for the past two weeks.

NoFX_Caz - 2015-05-29 1:05 PM

Well it has been dry stored for the entirety of the winter, we put it away at the end of last summer and it has only been out and about for the last few weeks....The real test now will be the drive back to the UK, hopefully the weather will be as nice as it has been for the past two weeks.

At the very least, I think I'd be running several layers of something like gaffa tape over it.

It'd be a shame to have kept it dry for all this time, only to spoil it all on the drive over......

Guest Peter James
NoFX_Caz - 2015-05-29 1:05 PM

Peter James - 2015-05-29 8:12 AM

But I don't think you can gauge the level of interest until the van is here and MOT tested - why would anyone wait for yours to arrive when there are plenty to choose from available now?

It is returning to the UK on Monday with the MOT on Friday, not a long wait and with one of us only being in the UK for just 2 weeks (I am staying longer but have business to take care of) we started looking for a potential buyer earlier rather than later.

Not a long wait now, but there are plenty of others for sale where the buyer doesn't have to wait at all. What could the buyer do whilst waiting for it to arrive? Its already raised suspicion its a scam and the van doesn't exist - although I don't share that suspicion because if it was a scam you wouldn't be showing the photos of those cracks. Thats enough to heighten the fear of water ingress damage - which is already high on a van of that age.

Guest Peter James

That suggests knowledge of those 3 manufacturers construction methods of that era. Sharing that knowledge could be very helpful

I wouldn't say my 'knowledge' would be exclusive to those 3 brands, it would be in identifying poor design and construction methods whatever the manufacturer, and the inherent potential for problems - not necessarily just water ingress.

I appreciate that sounds a rather sweeping statement, its not intended to be arrogant - but the simple construction of a motorhome is nothing compared to what I would normally get involved with.

JudgeMental - 2015-05-30 11:39 AM

OP if you join MHFun forum its much larger and has a free sales section..good value vans go quick. have you tried gumtree and preloved? both free..

It was on gumtree and as per your earlier advice it was put on eBay.

Thank you for the tip about MHFun, I have checked it out and there seems to be a lot of activity in their classifieds section so I will post something there today.

You have been a huge help.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this, especially Judge who has been beyond helpful.

I've had a few decent offers for the van now (through gumtree, ebay and the site Judge recommended), all naturally lower than we were asking but respectable offers given the damage and we are strongly considering them all and hoping to invite a few of the people to come take a look.

We have left things a day later than planned, I am setting off for the UK tomorrow passing through Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium and France before catching the ferry at Dunkirk to Dover. Going to enjoy the last couple of days with the van touring like it was supposed to, hopefully we will get it MOT'd on Friday and sold as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Archived