L'etape de tour 2015

Billggski

Anyone either taken part in this amateur cycle ride taking in a stage of the Tour de France, or supported someone doing it? I have assumed, seeing the motorhomes on the tour, that we can park up on one of the climbs. The campsites are all full of course, but can I find a space near the start/ finish as my son in law, who is doing the cycling (not me) will need to be dropped off and picked up near St Jean de Maurienne. We can't really arrive before the Saturday, and the race starts early on Sunday the 19th July.

Chambery is the nearest city and I wonder if we can just pitch up in a supermarket car park for the night?

I don't see why not, camping-cars are treated differently in France, as long as there isn't a sign saying no, and you don't cause an obstruction, you can generally do as you do in a car. As for sleeping in it, that is up to you. Just don't put your chairs etc out, or you will be deemed camping, which is a offence. Good luck !!!

Hi,

We followed the Le Tour from our homeland of Yorkshire, around France and to Paris last year. We really don't think you will have any problems parking or sleeping in your van, the French really do park ANYWHERE, usually in large numbers, when it comes to Le Tour and any large cycling event.

Our main tips are to arrive as early as possible to get the best pitches 'enough route' and be aware of the times roads are closed to traffic prior to the race/ride passing, especially in the mountains. Most of all is to 'go with the flow', it will be fine, your son in law will have a amazing ride in some stunning scenery.

Enjoy

Intransit

Archived