Almost a motor cyclist!

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

When in Portugal a few weeks ago we found ourselves staying for two weeks at a superb site at Praia da Luz. We cycled and took the bus a couple of times but were limited as to how far we could go without uprooting the 'van.

We noticed how many people zoomed off on scooters for the day and chatted to some of them who told us that it's a great way of exploring hill villages etc. and no parking problems when you get there.

So we came home, I ordered a scooter rack for the back of my 'van (fitted last week) and bought a Honda 125 cc scooter.

I took my Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) the day after my 70th birthday, it was me and three seventeen-year-olds! That included a two hour supervised ride when she told me afterwards that, unlike the kids, who'd never driven anything, my road craft was excellent. I have never ridden any kind of motorbike in my life by the way.

The CBT was a doddle compared to the next stage, which was the theory test. Loads of studying and practice at my computer answering questions and watching videos where you have to spot developing hazards as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I'm really pleased! I've just been to the local test centre and passed the theory test! It was pretty nerve-wracking and I was sure I must have failed. The questions weren't too bad as you can bone up on the Highway Code but they ask you things like "A child is unconscious after an accident, how quickly do you breath into its mouth, gently, rapidly, heavily, etc.'

I'm still not sure if I answered that correctly but I got 47 out of fifty and the failure rate is below 44 so I was OK.

The hazard perception videos are the hardest as it's tricky differentiating between a potential hazard and a developing one and if you click the mouse too many times you score zero for that clip.

Anyway, I passed and I'm dead chuffed! I'd already booked my practical test in the hope I'd pass the theory and the aim is to pass that just before our next trip so I can carry my wife on the back.

So, if anyone fancies a scooter and you haven't already got a scooter licence from years ago, take a tip from me, it's not easy any more to pass a scooter test if you want to carry a passenger.

After my CBT I can ride it on my own with L plates but for most of us we need to be able to carry our partners, so there's a lot of work involved. I'm having a about three full days of practical tuition to prepare for my next test and after that I'll still be restricted to a 125 cc bike.

Well done you.... ;-)

..I've only ever always ridden "modern" bikes(-750 race reps and 1000cc/1200cc sports tourers etc),although I currently only have a 650 single CCM, the performance of which is a bit yesteryear.

At one time I toyed with "trailering" it behind one of our vans but I didn't happen though, as we were never away long enough to warrant taking it..

One issue/concern to bear in mind, is decent safety clothing....

Do "holidaying" MHers, bother with full safety gear?...boots, trousers, jackets, gloves etc? (I assume helmets are compulsory on the Continent?)

I can imagine that it'd be the last thing anyone would really want to be putting on whilst away under the blazing med sun...but I can also remember what a mess ,even a slow speed tumble can make of someone..!?

..and I doubt that many of us bounce (or heal!), quite a well as we used to...! ... (lol)

Worth bearing in mind...

I passed my full Motorcycle Test back in 1963, there was no theory test just some random questions on the Highway Code, you rode around (on the road) a pre-arranged circuit, and the tester, who obviously knew a shortcut on foot, would suddenly leap out and put his hand up, to tell you to do an Emergency stop, I had actually seen his feet underneath a parked van that he was hidden behind, So was almost at a stop anyway when he stepped out ! I passed, and was able to get my Beloved Triumph Thunderbird 650, Unfortunately I took my now Wife for a ride on the back, to impress her..... I did the exact opposite she vowed never to ride pillion with me again, and never has.

In theory, i could go out today and buy any Motorcycle of unlimited power, and ride it legally, BUT I wouldn't... the roads have changed dramatically and my reactions have slowed, as they do. So, your CBT is good idea for everyone, whether they already have a Full Motorcycle license or not, and especially if a few years have passed since last riding a motorcycle (47 for me !). Enjoy ! there's nothing like it. Ray

Guest Had Enough
Rayjsj - 2015-04-16 1:18 PM

So, your CBT is good idea for everyone, whether they already have a Full Motorcycle license or not, and especially if a few years have passed since last riding a motorcycle (47 for me !). Enjoy ! there's nothing like it. Ray

Thanks for that. The CBT is of course now compulsory but the owner of the training school tells me that he gets lots of people like you, who can ride a big bike legally, but haven't for years, booking in for his 'Back to Biking' courses, where they're updated with all the latest information.

I find it encouraging that young kids can no longer get on a powerful bike without any real training like they could in the old days, when for many of them their biggest contribution to society was becoming organ donors.

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2015-04-16 1:15 PM

Well done you.... ;-)

..I've only ever always ridden "modern" bikes(-750 race reps and 1000cc/1200cc sports tourers etc),although I currently only have a 650 single CCM, the performance of which is a bit yesteryear.

At one time I toyed with "trailering" it behind one of our vans but I didn't happen though, as we were never away long enough to warrant taking it..

One issue/concern to bear in mind, is decent safety clothing....

Do "holidaying" MHers, bother with full safety gear?...boots, trousers, jackets, gloves etc? (I assume helmets are compulsory on the Continent?)

I can imagine that it'd be the last thing anyone would really want to be putting on whilst away under the blazing med sun...but I can also remember what a mess ,even a slow speed tumble can make of someone..!?

..and I doubt that many of us bounce (or heal!), quite a well as we used to...! ... (lol)

Worth bearing in mind...

Thanks,

Yes, the clothing issue was hammered home by my instructor. In my younger days I was a racing cyclist, massed start road races and time trials. I was brought down twice in road races and know all about gravel burn! It's very nasty! Fortunately I never suffered any broken bones.

Congratulations on the CBT and the Theory Test - some of the questions are deliberately vague so it it's hard to get the right answers - practice the test is the key.

The Practical Test is split into Mod 1 and Mod 2. The first part is a series of precise exercises - figure of 8, slow ride, walking the bike, cone weave, and speed tests at a test centre. You can make minor mistakes and pass, but if you hit cones, put a foot down, or fail the speed bank elements, then it's a fail. I would recommend at least one practice session on the test course itself. The speed bank tests are the trickiest because you have to accelerate around a 180 degree circle, hit a specific speed (19mph on a moped, 31mph on a bike), swerve around an obstacle and stop safely.

Mod 2 is on the road and again, you can make minor mistakes and pass, but certain blunders are immediate fails. These include forcing oncoming traffic on narrow streets to stop when they have the right of way, wrong position for turning at a junction when on a one-way street, exceeding the speed limit, being in the wrong lane for your exit on a multi-lane roundabout, stopping within a bus length of a bus stop, and any manouvre which the tester determines is dangerous - like pulling out from the hill start in front of traffic.

It's a lot harder than doing the CBT so good luck!

Guest Had Enough
ips - 2015-04-16 3:25 PM

Very well done my friend. I passed my test in 81 had all sorts over the years last was a piagio scooter I'm motor home garage. Great fun, enjoy your tours.

Thank you. Just been out for an hour's ride in heavy stop-start traffic plus a bit of country riding. Much more confident now!

Guest Had Enough
Duncan MMM - 2015-04-16 1:55 PM

Congratulations on the CBT and the Theory Test - some of the questions are deliberately vague so it it's hard to get the right answers - practice the test is the key.

The Practical Test is split into Mod 1 and Mod 2. The first part is a series of precise exercises - figure of 8, slow ride, walking the bike, cone weave, and speed tests at a test centre. You can make minor mistakes and pass, but if you hit cones, put a foot down, or fail the speed bank elements, then it's a fail. I would recommend at least one practice session on the test course itself. The speed bank tests are the trickiest because you have to accelerate around a 180 degree circle, hit a specific speed (19mph on a moped, 31mph on a bike), swerve around an obstacle and stop safely.

Mod 2 is on the road and again, you can make minor mistakes and pass, but certain blunders are immediate fails. These include forcing oncoming traffic on narrow streets to stop when they have the right of way, wrong position for turning at a junction when on a one-way street, exceeding the speed limit, being in the wrong lane for your exit on a multi-lane roundabout, stopping within a bus length of a bus stop, and any manouvre which the tester determines is dangerous - like pulling out from the hill start in front of traffic.

It's a lot harder than doing the CBT so good luck!

Thank you. Yes, I'm under no illusions. Next week I go out for an afternoon with my instructor. We're going over the ground where the Mod 2 will be taken. I'm doing it all with this firm who've been great so far http://www.williamsmotorcycletraining.com/

The following Friday and weekend I have three full days of intensive training and take the Mod 1 a few days after that. Mod two has been booked for week after Mod 1 so, if all goes well, when we go away to France in mid-May I'll be able to take my wife on the pillion.

Thanks for the tips.

Guest pelmetman

I recall a conversation with a chap in France who had a trike, those ones with 2 wheels in front ;-) ....... and he reckoned you could ride one of those and carry a pillion passenger on a car license? :-S ........

He is correct it's a three wheeler so not a motorcycle.

Won't fit in or on a motor home though.

I saw a bloke with one of those off road quad things not a bike but a sort of off road go cart. Very cool. Sorry I digress.

Guest Had Enough
ips - 2015-04-16 4:45 PM

He is correct it's a three wheeler so not a motorcycle.

Won't fit in or on a motor home though.

Yep, it's a bit of a problem getting one of those on a rack on the back of the 'van!

Guest Had Enough
ips - 2015-04-16 4:47 PM

Ps

Get a top box. Safer for a pillion and some were to transport your croissants :)

Already got one thanks as we'll need to store two helmets and the under-seat hole only takes one. My wife has sat on the pillion and likes the box as it's a nice backrest as well.

Yes well done you. Fortunately did not have to go through this have a bike licence from years back. You will never regret this, we certainly have not, and after carrying my scooter around for five years now would never go away without it. As for the clothes bit mine is usually a helmet, gloves, T shirt, shorts and sunglasses in Southern Europe, maybe a waterproof jacket and trousers in the top box just in case.

Had Enough - 2015-04-16 4:50 PM

ips - 2015-04-16 4:47 PM

Ps

Get a top box. Safer for a pillion and some were to transport your croissants :)

Already got one thanks as we'll need to store two helmets and the under-seat hole only takes one. My wife has sat on the pillion and likes the box as it's a nice backrest as well.

Ideal.

Yes Mrs ips felt much more comfy and safer with one.

Guest peter

Well done Frank, it was great taking my 2012 Triumph Bonneville 865cc down to Spain this winter. I took it in a box trailer along with all the other clutter and to bring back loads of cheap Spanish plonk.

I bought a Yamaha 125 custom before the Bonnie and it was awful to ride with a passenger. I got rid of it sharpish, with only 340 miles on the clock as it was too light and way underpowered for 2 up. Can't you get a restricted bigger bike?. I'm not too sure what size you're allowed, but worth finding out. A couple of hundred more CCs is much safer to ride as well. You can get a pad to fit on the top box for your passenger to lean back against.

Good luck with the rest of the test. :D

Well done Frank, interesting stuff for me as I'm still mulling over which road to go down on the bike route. I was a biker but didn't take the test unfortunately.

As for the 3 wheel route, well there's a whole raft of misinformation about. You can ride a couple of these machines on a full car license and carry a passenger.

Piaggio mp3 300 being the stand out bike. The licence conundrum is solved by some trickery in how the front wheels are set up (don't ask).

Of course trailers have been designed to carry these bikes.

And no I'm not advocating someone buys a mp3 without some formal training on the road.

Martyn

I took my motorcycle test at the ripe age of 16 years. My bike broke down on the morning of the test. No worries my mate lent me his Honda 250. Never ridden it before and the controls were all in different places. Made it too the test centre and met the instructor. After a few questions he asked me to start the bike. Would it start - no- I had flooded the carb so I told him I would have to jump start it. Any method of starting was acceptable as long as it started or I would have to rebook the test.

Realising I only had one shot at a jump start I sprinted across the test centre car park pushing the bike as fast as possible. Giving an almighty leap in the air, landing on the saddle and releasing the clutch the sound of the engine started was accompanied by a loud ripping sound. I had split my trousers the complete length of the rear seam.

Anyway I passed although the emergency stop was ridiculous. The instructor was so fat I could see him "hidding" behind a tree and a group of girls at the bus stop kept waving at me as road passed them at least 4 times trying to stop the rear of my trousers flapping in the wind. Hondas have cold saddles.

ips - 2015-04-16 4:45 PM

I saw a bloke with one of those off road quad things not a bike but a sort of off road go cart. Very cool. Sorry I digress.

Yes, a few years back we saw a chap on a site with a Honda Pilot-type buggy..as you say, it did look fun(although, I didn't see how he was transporting it..).

I've always thought that a Mini Moke would be a cool thing to trundle around in, whilst on your hols... :-D

pelmetman - 2015-04-16 4:36 PM

I recall a conversation with a chap in France who had a trike, those ones with 2 wheels in front ;-) ....... and he reckoned you could ride one of those and carry a pillion passenger on a car license? :-S ........

There was quite a lot controversay when I used to do Motorcycle Sidecar Racing, a chap called Owen Greenwood rolled out a 'Mini Cooper 998s' chassis, with 2 wheels very close together at the back, very fast, and quite stable it was too, (and the passenger hardly had to do any 'work' at all !) He won many races....for the first season. But as it was clearly stretching the rules beyond the limit, They banned it.

Everyone Laughs at 3 Wheelers, thinking of 'Del Boys' Reliant Van, very,very Unstable but mount 2 driven wheels at the FRONT, and the single wheel at the back, and you have a very stable platform. AKA the Old Morgan 3 Wheelers....... Wonder if I could tow one behind my Motorhome on an A-Frame....in Spain ?? oops. Ray

Anyone remember the 'Twinny Moke' ? with 2 cooper s engines, one diving the front subframe, and another driving the Back. Boy did it go ! across almost any terrain.

Rayjsj - 2015-04-17 2:27 PM

Anyone remember the 'Twinny Moke' ? with 2 cooper s engines, one diving the front subframe, and another driving the Back. Boy did it go ! across almost any terrain.

Also, don't forget the Citroen 2CV Sahara, two engines, go anywhere, in the 1960's

Still a few going - used to see one daily last year in the Chilterns.

I too had to take my test, I was 67 at the time but it's been the most wonderful addition to our holidaying experience. We have a Honda 125 ANF which is a big wheel bike and we have used it in most of Europe including Portugal last Oct, I guess you may have been at Turisto camping. On the practical side I was advised by the training centre that I wouldn't be able to pass the test on a 125 because I wouldn't be able to reach the 50 Klm/ hr speed in the distance required to do the emergency stop and hazard avoidance. I asked for a half hour lesson to see if I could. I could and that was the only lesson I had apart from the CBT of course. I then got a cancelled test a few days later and passed. The whole thing cost about £200 instead of 6 or 7 hundred quoted. We had a motorhome with a scooter rack but changed it for one with a garage, much better. One word of advice is to carry common spares with you including tyres and tubes if you use them, it's a nightmare trying to get them abroad. We love camp hopping and scootering to see countries, especially Italy, Spain, France, well everywhere really including UK. It's the best way to see villages, town and cities. Well done and enjoy.

Archived