cleaning off old sealant

boxer1

I have removed the skylights from my motorhome. The problem that I have is getting all the old sealant off. It is black and like tar. I was able to get most of it with white spirits but there are slight traces left. Does it all have to be taken off . The problem that I see if there are traces of white spirits in the sealant that is left it would react with the new sealant or can I wash it in water and would it dissolve the spirits

Boxer 1.

I doubt washing will remove any traces of the white spirit, in simplistic terms you are trying to mix oil and water.

But if you wipe the area with Acetone, Isopropanol, or MEK that should do the trick. Much will depend on the sealant you plan to use to re-bed the fitting, you could also abrade the area slightly and should you be really paranoid, apply a suitable primer if using a Sika product.

I forget to mention that it is the skyliight that I can not get the adhesive off. I was going to use caraflex the reason for that is caraflex as the name suggests flexes and does not go hard I thought that silka went solid and could not be removed easily.

Would acetone isupropanol or mex be safe to use on the plastic skylight.

Thanks for your replies .

Boxer 1.

I forget to mention that it was the skylight that I couldnt get the adhesive off. I had no problem getting the roof clean. it is smooth and no edges.I was going to use carafex 99 I think. Iam told it does not harden and can be removed if need be where

Sika won't go hard but is an adhesive/sealant.

If you just have a little residue on the skylight that should be fine, most of those solvents I suggested can have detrimental effects on certain plastics, although Isoprop would be the best option. Not all sealants are compatible, but I wouldn't imagine what's left on your skylights will cause any problems.

Archived