Mirror protectors - I'll be sticking with the originals I think!

globebuster

On my previous van had the original Mirrorguards [MG's] fitted - which I found did a good job on more than one occasion - unfortunately I had to leave these with the van, to cover up some pre-MG fitting damage!

Can I say before I start, I'm fully aware that no after-market mirror cover will offer total protection, but then neither does an airbag......

So, with a new [to me] van on the driveway, and other similar products now available, I've been doing a bit of research.

I know a bit about plastics, and I was shocked by the 'quality' of the Milenco offering. Now I know many seem very happy with their Milenco purchase - but I'm so glad I saw these on the flesh.

Made of polypropylene they are almost translucent - think cheap washing up bowl. In fact if these cost more than a fiver to produce I would be amazed.

Being made of that material makes them very flexible - which is to some degree is [or would be] a good thing, however the fact that these are designed to fit directly against the original mirror case would probably negate any benefit. I noted there is also no facility for the temp sensor either. I'd imagine that minor abrasions would leave a lasting scar due to the construction material used, unlike the MG variant which can be polished out. I would also question how they will stand up to UV degradation.

The other alternative [i think Road Pro market it] looks much closer in design to the original MG, but appears not of such robust construction, cosmetically less attractive, and is certainly nowhere near such a good fit - and yes, I did try them.

Being a similar price to the original I didn't see the point in buying these, and discarded that option early on.

So back to the original MG, well this has now been significantly upgraded to include a full inner surface coating of closed cell foam, to absorb impact over the whole area of the cover, rather then the originals which had a few 10/12mm foampads, but left a void between the majority of guard and Fiat casing. It still retains the high gloss ABS finish, and good quality EPDM seal around the perimeter.

So which to chose? Well having had the originals and seeing their capability to protect my mirrors in the past, there really was only one option.

What really disappointed me most was the Milenco offering. From pictures I'd seen, I imagined something along the same lines as the MG, with an attractive cost saving - wrong!

I suppose if you want to change the colour of your mirrors from black to white, either for cosmetic reasons or to make you more visible to on-coming traffic they may be an option, but don't expect them to protect you from damage, and I really hope they don't suffer from UV and general weathering too much.

As far as VFM goes, well I see one costing bugger all to produce - I wouldn't pay £60 for a plastic plant pot [or two] and another product with at least some engineering thought, time and effort gone into it - and built in a far more robust way.

Of course this is just my humble opinion! and is only based on my previous experience with the original Mirrorguards, although I'm sure I would ever buy the cheaper version under the illusion it would offer any real impact protection - and too much of a risk to find out the hard way!

This earlier forum discussion may be of interest

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-guards/37383/

(You’ll see from rolandrat’s posting (Page 2 27 March 2015 2:36 PM) that there have evidently been ‘fitting’ problems with the latest foam-backed “Mirror Guard” protectors. You might want to check with the manufacturer that this issue has now been completely resolved.)

Thanks Derek,

I do recall this thread - although I'm not sure I followed it onto page two......

I installed my new Mirrorguards last night, and they fit absolutely perfectly - very pleased.

I see from looking back on that earlier post, you are considering them for your new van - I'm sure you've done your homework too...

"So back to the original MG, well this has now been significantly upgraded to include a full inner surface coating of closed cell foam, to absorb impact over the whole area of the cover, rather then the originals which had a few 10/12mm foampads, but left a void between the majority of guard and Fiat casing. It still retains the high gloss ABS finish, and good quality EPDM seal around the perimeter."

I had been thinking about these, do you mean you personalised an old pair or did you buy a new pair and work on them. I know they would be a good thing for us, having spent many hours searching in scrapyards for replacement mirrors for my transit.

I have the milencos, and too be honest, I would not expect them to offer much protection on a head/side on at speed. Can`t see anything working to be honest; As something has to give, somewhere. But they certainly stand out more being white, and they are good for the minor scuffs when parking etc.

T

yoko8pups

If you read my comments of 17 April 2015 6:53 AM that follow globebuster’s original posting from which you have quoted (and also look at the link I provided to an earlier forum discussion about mirror protectors) you should realise that the latest version of the “Mirror Guard” product now has a layer of closed-cell foam behind the protector’s plastic moulding.

The foam-backed protectors are designed to fit the mirrors of 2007-onwards Boxer/Ducato/Relay models. Earlier vehicles (like your Hymer) have a completely different mirror design and, although protectors are marketed for those mirrors, they may not be foam-backed. You would need to check this with the “Mirror Guard” manufacturer.

The original 'Mirrorguards' are offered in White,Black or Silver, mine are the early ones with the foam pads, even so they have sustained several heavy 'Whacks' and survived the experience, as did the mirrorglass, my indicator lens was not so robust, and broke, new one off of E-Bay £13.

Recommend them, the material they are made from is similar to a Motorcyle crash helmet I had in the 60's, and appears like glass fibre matting, certainly not abs. Ray

Off Topic..But, RE Mirror mounted indicators/markers.

Does anyone know if there is any real reason(regs etc?) for them to be mounted on the outer edges of the mirror heads, making them the first thing that get clacked or scraped?...:-S

(..the mirror mounted indicators on my OH's car, are mounted on the arm/base, not on edge of the mirror head..and seem far more practical...).

• 2 weeks later...

I received a call from a pretty unhappy customer (or so I thought)

His wife had purchased a pair of Mirrorguards at the NEC show in February.

The customer expressed his dissatisfaction with this product because they had shattered in pieces along with his mirror which he had to replace.

Apparently he had pulled over and stopped to let a transit van coming the opposite way to pass in doing so the van driver clipped his mirror resulting in the above damage.

I asked the customer to return the mirrorguard so I could have a look to see if there was any defect in the material.

On open the parcel and to my horror I found a milenco product. (see picture)

So folks beware someone is selling the milenco product as the mirrorguard.

429269363_milenco169.JPG.47987a52ee74aef8370d9467d6fea94d.JPG

Just in case there is any doubt, the Milenco mirror protector’s asking-price for a pair should be around £60. The product is just a simple plastic ‘shell’ that attaches to the original mirror via a clamp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milenco-Mirror-Protectors-Peugeot-Citroen/dp/B00KNRFJTW

The “Mirror Guard” protector’s price is £120+ and it will be obvious on inspection that it’s a much heavier duty product than the Milenco offering.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk

There’s also “Mirror Armour” at about £130 per pair. These were on sale on the RoadPro stand at the NEC and seemed to be inferior copies of the “Mirror Guard” product.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/exterior-parts-and-accessories/mirrors-and-lenses/mirror-protection/mirror-armour-for-fiat-ducato-pair-2470.htm

We are on our second pair of mirror guards as we wanted silver to match our new PVC. We could not have used the original white ones as they were for the long arm mirrors of our AutoTrail and would not have fitted the short arm mirrors of our PVC. It's worth rembering this when ordering.

Our original ones survived quite a few knocks. I can confirm that scuff marks and the blue paint from an impatient BMW estate car driver all come off easily with the application of a little polish!

Like my sons used to all to often tell me "you get what you pay for Dad"

Indeed, the Milenco version is around half the price of the original Mirrorguards - but I would imagine about as much use as a chocolate teapot in terms of protection.....

As I've said before - you can pay 60 quid for the equivalent of a couple of washing up bowls, or spend your money on something that has some thought, and engineering behind it.

On a linear scale of VFM the Mirrorguard wins hands-down.....in my opinion.

Archived