About to buy - Bailey or Autotrail

Aussie Mac

Folk

I expect you will have many questions on what I am looking for - but hoping just to get a breif "heads-up" really on brands before I commit. We are at Peterborough and have short-listed the Bailey Autograph 765 and the Autotrail Impalla (note - not the more expensive Scout) MH's. Both offer rear lounge - mandated by us, but the Impalla cannot be used as 2 single beds - 765 can at a pinch. Impalla has better garage/storage from an externall access perspective - good for chairs, tables, buckets etc.

Bailey has low profile, and seems to me/us to be a better "quality" on the surface.

Both will be around the same purchase price (765 a few thousand more, but not too much).

I do know experiences will be very individual - and can vary effectively from MH to MH - even off the same production line. However if you have any wise comments before I take the plunge I will appreciate your input. If anyone feels the burning need to talk - assuming this is ok on the forum - I can be reached on 07525 172 218.

Cheers

Mike

Solwaybuggier - 2015-04-17 7:39 PM

We have a Bailey 740 - very comfortable but make sure you're happy with the extra width (7.42m, from memory.). Great inside but can be daunting on the road.

Currently sat up in bed at Gigrin Farm Mid Wales in my awesome Bailey Approach 740 !

Great MHs , NOT at all daunting on the road , best " thing " I've ever bought ! Go buy ! :-D

Mike

I assume you mean “Imala” not “Impalla”.

I believe you’ll find that there are significant (and potentially important) technical differences between the Peugeot Boxer-based Bailey Autograph range and Fiat Ducato-based Auto-Trail Imala models.

Imala’s have a 130hp 2.3litre motor and ESC/Traction+ driver aids as standard, with more powerful engines and an ‘automatic’ transmission as options. The Autograph 765 (not exactly a light compact vehicle) has ‘just’ a 130bhp 2.2litre powerplant without ESC/Traction+ driver aids and (as I understand it) no opportunity to opt for a higher output motor, or the driver aids, or an auto gearbox.

When you are considering pricing, you might want to compare the respective Auto-Trail and Bailey brochures very carefully.

Whatever you buy do make sure you have a firm insurance quote before signing up for the purchase as if you are a foreign resident obtaining insurance is a nightmare. Australian friends of ours found only one company would quote and at a price.

The two British Built Vans you are looking at are built very Differently the Autotrail has a 10 years water Ingress warranty, subject to conditions and dealer checks. Is built conventionally, albeit with better quality adhesives than existed in the past. The Baileys use a relatively new process called 'Allu Tech' which uses bolted brackets in Joints (video here of a Bailey Caravan same process

http://www.caravanchannel.co.uk/videos?vid=112

this appears to worK well. Although I believe there have been some teething problems.

Good luck with your choice (I have an Autotrail Frontier Savannah, have owned it from new, and am happy with it.) Ray

There was a raft of misiformation about th Alu-Tec build at first.

There was an untruth peddled that the body work had to be checked and re torqued every 12 months.

This was for Bailey caravans - not motorhomes.

Our reasons for choosing the Bailey were based around value for money, an extremely strong brand (60 years +) and of course the vans beautiful (in our opinion), contemporary styling on both the exterior and interior.

It may interest you to know that Autotrail was in our top 3 of choices too.

Martyn

We have a 2013 AT Scout. Not quite the same but many similar components and we love it. Seems very well put together. We looked at the Bailey but prefer the look of the AT.

Almost as important is which dealer you purchase from. We've went with Premier and have received excellent service.

G'Day Mike,

It may interest you to look at the thread started on 14th April by Tracker" Whale Aquasource".

We have just bought a Bailey 540 but nearly didn't because they install this system on all their vans.

It is suitable no doubt for caravans or motorhomers who like to stay for extended periods at a site where each pitch has a dedicated water supply.

We, like so many these days stay at Aires in France and Stellplatz in Germany, and would spend 1 night in

5 - 7 at a campsite. We fill the tank from 5 - 10 litre conatainers or a handy hosepipe, often for free or a small charge at the Aire.

Bailey and others would do well to consult their customers. Elddiss, interestingly ditched this system a couple of years ago. When Bailey and Co. realise they may be loosing sales I'm sure they will do the same.

We opted for the Bailey because on balance the 'pros' outweighed this big drawback, and also we found that one can acces the water tank directly through the hatch in the floor. It may not be the same on all models, in our case the F/Water tank is behind the Waste water tank near the rear axle. This is the reverse of what is stated in the Handbook!

Best of luck,

Ron P.

Archived