Total newbie with a huge motorhome - where to start?

LBUK

Hello,

A relative has bought a Hobby Toskana d690 and is anticipating all of the relatives and the kids getting a lot of use out of it but none of us have ever been on a camping holiday or motorhome holiday as adults.

We have a toddler and my first thought is that we're going to be attached to the motorhome at all times because we won't be able to take it off the A roads. It's 7.5m long apparently!

I've got a million questions...

Is it something you can just jump in and drive without running someone off the road?

Do all motorhome sites accommodate vehicles of this size?

Do you just turn up or book in advance?

Once parked etc, how do you travel around? Are you dependant on buses etc?

What do you actually do all day during these types of holidays?

Do sites tend to have their own activities and attractions?

What is the day to day maintenance?

What things must be done before and after each holiday?

Is there an ultimate resource to answer all of these types of probably stupid questions? Thanks.

FIRST OF ALL Can you all drive it on your licences?? If it is over 3500 tonne , then you need to look to see if you are allowed to drive it. If in Uk then it would pay you to join the Caravan Club or or The Camping and Caravan Club., as You will need to book sites especially at weekends and holidays, and july/August Insurance, would need to have ALL drivers named? Research where you are going, it is much bigger than a car I think your relative is very generous to let all and sundry drive, or maybe naive?? Make sure that child seats are secure, and not on sideways facing seats. I would have a test drive without children in to distract you

i am sure lot's more will be along to give advice

PJay

You are all going to have to do lots of reading! as has already been said does your license allow you to drive it? do you know about payload? that is the extra weight you are allowed to carry , if you go over that and are stopped and checked by VOSA anything over will have to be left at the roadside!

Joining a club is helpful but not essential as there are lots of camp sites out there, but what you need is a book of sites that you do get when joining one of the clubs and also lots of useful information.

Finding out how everything works heating/ water filling/ plugging in to the electrics, emptying grey water/toilet cassette.

Driving it, parking it. And getting about once on site, lots of us use bikes, but that all comes under pay load! using public transport is handy and cheaper if you are over 60 or is it now 65! as we are well over Ive forgotten now :-D Oh and walking is one of our pleasures it keeps us and the dogs fitter.

We shop on route buying enough to last us for about three days as that is all we usually spend in one place. Motor -homing is different to caravanning as unless you take the car along with you, you aren't as mobile, but that is one of the things we changed to a van for ease of movement , you don't spend hours setting things up ie filling water barrels , erecting awnings,

Its funny as people that have never gone motor-homing or camping before always seem to go for the BIGGEST van they can afford!! they think why pay more for a small van when we can have this palace on wheels (lol) they soon find out !!

Anyway I hope you all enjoy your holidays in it , especially the children , when ours were little we spent our hols under canvas (lol) now that was camping.

And nearly forgot you will probably find unless you book ahead you can be very disappointed when they tell you they are full! and with a van that size its not funny looking for somewhere else to spend the night when you are tired of driving, play safe book.

7.5 Metres is not THAT big as Motorhomes go, Think, Most Delivery trucks are at least as big, and some are bigger. Wouldn't think you would have problems on Most sites, after all, caravans are nearly ALL that length, and some a lot more.

As has been said, check that you can legally drive it First, before making any plans at all.

If you can....go ahead and Enjoy. Good Luck. Ray

LBUK - 2015-04-18 6:17 PM

Hello,

A relative has bought a Hobby Toskana d690 and is anticipating all of the relatives and the kids getting a lot of use out of it but none of us have ever been on a camping holiday or motorhome holiday as adults.

We have a toddler and my first thought is that we're going to be attached to the motorhome at all times because we won't be able to take it off the A roads. It's 7.5m long apparently!

Is it something you can just jump in and drive without running someone off the road?

Do all motorhome sites accommodate vehicles of this size?

Do you just turn up or book in advance?

Once parked etc, how do you travel around? Are you dependant on buses etc?

Do sites tend to have their own activities and attractions?

What is the day to day maintenance?

What things must be done before and after each holiday?

Is there an ultimate resource to answer all of these types of probably stupid questions? Thanks.

I will assume you are sensible enough to know if you have the correct licence, so a lot of answers will depend on where you intend to go. It is different in the UK to Europe, for example in UK I always book, in euro land never have. Can you just jump in and drive, well only you can answer that one, if you are even reasonably competent probably yes. We travel around using a motor scooter but most do not use a motorhome like a caravan you will work it out, visiting places while travelling rather than from site, using push bikes, public transport etc. Perhaps if you are a little more specific on what you like and where you intend to go you will get more specific answers.

LBUK - 2015-04-18 6:17 PM

Hello,

I would think that most people use motorhomes for touring, so that is what we do.

Stopping for a day or two ( or a week ) wherever we fancy - and exploring locally, or spending time on a beach - or fishing - or whatever.

All depends on what you like doing.

;-)

Guest Had Enough
malc d - 2015-04-19 11:10 AM

I would think that most people use motorhomes for touring, so that is what we do.

Stopping for a day or two ( or a week ) wherever we fancy - and exploring locally, or spending time on a beach - or fishing - or whatever.

;-)

This isn't our experience and as the OP has a toddler I'm assuming it won't be theirs either. If you were to go on any site in the UK and, particularly in winter in Spain, Portugal or Morocco, you'll see dozens of motorhomes parked up for weeks on end.

In summer in France, you'll see the same. We've stopped on sites all over France and the number of motorhomes that are clearly in position for a couple of weeks or longer is enormous.

Anyone whose main experience is using aires may well assume that people only stay one or two nights, because they could well be the kind of motorhomers who are more peripatetic.

Our pattern is very mixed. If we're touring a new country, such as Morocco or Croatia then of course it may well be short stays, but going through Slovenia on our way to Croatia we fell in love with Lake Bled and stayed six nights.

Once or twice a year we also enjoy a relaxing longer break, and for the last three years have visited Lake Annecy and the Dordogne where we know a superb quiet site in each location and spent a minimum of a week just cycling, walking and relaxing. Now we have a scooter I suspect that we'll be staying for a week or two much more regularly and exploring a wider area using the Honda.

But isn't that the big advantage of a motorhome? If you wish you can wander around, using aires and not stopping for more than a couple of nights and then you can change your pattern and stop somewhere for a fortnight or, as some on here enjoy, wintering in warmer climes for three months.

Had Enough - 2015-04-19 11:28 AM

malc d - 2015-04-19 11:10 AM

;-)

This isn't our experience and as the OP has a toddler I'm assuming it won't be theirs either.

There's no reason why having toddlers should stop anyone touring.

Ours were touring Europe in a tent, when aged of one or two - and that's before disposable nappies were invented !

Must be much easier these days.

;-)

Archived