French Breathalysers /any updates

Corky 8

Bound for France in May/June , after just checking all Documents and requirements for Europe, I find my Breathalyser kit runs out in June 2015, The Last update I read was published in 2014 which stated the Law had not been repealed but the fine of 11 euros had ,  if I buy another set which is only about £5, am I wasting my money. you thoughts Please.

French law still states that you should carry two breathalysers in your motor vehicle.

If you are stopped and found NOT to have these on board you will be given a warning.

The fine for NOT having them is €0.00

French law has never stated that two breathalysers should be carried.

Where ’single-use’ breathalysers are concerned, it would certainly be logical to carry two as the idea behind the French scheme was that carrying a breathalyser allowed self-testing of a driver’s alcohol level. As the French law demanded that an approved unused in-date breathalyser be carried in a vehicle, if a driver self-tested and found himself/herself below the alcohol limit, the breathalyser that had been used during self-testing would no longer comply with the French to-be-carried-in-vehicle law. Hence carrying two single-use breathalysers (one for self-testing and the 2nd to comply with the French law after self-testing had been performed) made good sense and, consequently, it was commonplace to market this type of breathalyser in packs of two.

Back in 2012, when it seemed that the French police would be authorised to fine motorists for not carrying a breathalyser in their vehicle, the UK press (and - unsurprisingly - UK sellers of single-use breathalysers) regularly and wrongly stated that the French law demanded that two breathalysers be carried.

However, while the suggestion that two single-use breathalysers be carried is sensible, the French law is unequivocal - the requirement is that just one approved breathalyser (single-use or electronic) be carried.

The wording of the original French law can be found here

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000025417826&categorieLien=id

and the statement “...le décret oblige tout conducteur d'un véhicule à posséder un éthylotest non usagé, disponible immédiatement.” (...the decree requires every driver of a vehicle to have an unused breathalyser, immediately to hand) makes it plain that carrying one breathalyser (not two, three or twenty) is the minimum requirement.

This earlier forum discussion (one of many!) about the French breathalyser may be worth revisiting

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/French-Breathalyzer-fine-9-euros/28112/

Another new law you may be interested in

France has set the objective to reduce the number of road deaths in half by the year 2020. On Friday April 3, the Interior Ministry announced several measures to achieve this goal, including the ban of hands-free kits in vehicles that will take effect on June 30, 2015. The ban includes any mobile device hands-free kit that requires an ear bud, Bluetooth headset, earpiece or headphones, including those kits that only require one ear and leave the second ear free.

The use of a car phone or mobile phone while driving has been banned in France since 2001, but hands-free devices had been exempted from the restriction.

Road accident deaths have gone up for the first time in twelve years (an increase of 3.7% in 2014). Measure 22 calls for the ban of ‘any system of the kind that requires earphones, headphones, ear bud, earpiece … that is likely to limit either the attention or auditory capacity of drivers’.

The ban does not include systems that do not require an ear bud, earpiece of headphone, such as those connected via Bluetooth to the car speaker system, or the speaker function on the phone

Archived