Carthago City

dicksob

Hi, we are just starting researching our next potential new van. We currently have an IH van conversion, fabulous quality, but now thinking of a compact (narrow) a class to get fixed bed/garage for electric bikes and proper separate shower. We had called into the N and B factory in Germany last week for a look at their models, amazing complex, free stellplatz, great showroom and v welcoming but feel they are just too big for us.

Favourite at moment is the carthago compactline 6.4m a class. Looks to meet all our requirements, so we are planning to visit the factory/complex down near Bodensee in Germany in June to have a look. Has anyone been before? Anyone own a carthago? Quality? Judge, think you are also looking at one, any views? Brian/Lennie did you look at carthago before choosing hymer? All (positive!!) views welcomed.

Bill

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Bill. yes I'm interested in the same i138 van as well. it looks real class. normal headlights appeal unlike the expensive hymer ones.....

only concern is accuracy of weight as have read a few reports that said they come out overweight, and Lenny's mates was !20 kg over 8-) but that was not the same model....

I'm popping into Urbano in Belgium in May on way home from Spain to have a look IF they have one in stock, will go get an idea anyway as to quality....

I will translate this when i get home as it looks in depth and useful..internet on site here poor

http://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/WoMoTest_CARTHAGO_c-compactline_138_197419.pdf

keep in touch and let me know how you get on :-D

I know a german dealer that offers reasonable price....

Hi Bill

We have visited Carthago City a couple of times since it was opened a couple of years ago, its a very modern complex with a stellplatz just outside in the car park

They have all the Carthago models on show and have a hire scheme where you can try the model you are interested in and the hire cost is deducted from the purchase price once you own a Carthago they also can service (need to book and they are very busy) and supply spare parts directly to you

Carthago Ring 1

D-88326 Aulendorf

Germany

You could also do the same at their old site at Ravensburg (which I preferred as smaller and more friendly) where they also manufacture the larger A class vans

We owned a Carthago Chic A class I51!KRH one of the larger A class models on an Iveco for 6 years just changing to downsize to a Hymer last year - over the 6 years of ownership no major issues or problems with the van other than the normal new van niggles n tucks and tweaks but always resolved directly by Carthago Germany

May I suggest you have a look at the Carthago owners UK club website as lots of background information there for you

Hope this helps

Regards

Wiggy

had our C-tourer i 148 now since mid January .....no issues so far, have had five trips away in uk and am now nr Paris at the start of a ten week or so break.....

quality very good, everything works as it should.....a couple of tiny niggles....the drop down bed rattle a little on bumpy surfaces but will be adjusted on return....

looked very, very, closely at the Compactline.....(and the hymer exsis-i) with the 138 (6.4m) van right up there as we wanted a big garage for our bikes....

OH decided that the shower room wall looked a bit imposing (our layout has the kitchen there...) and I felt that there was only a wardrobe as part of the garage rather than the three(!) we have now.....

the 138 os a great van tho, to have a real MH in the footprint of a PVC os great.

yes, check the weights, each model will vary.....we are on a 4.25t chassis so have masses of payload (around a tonne).

may visit Carthago city ourselves.....but not on this trip.....

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2015-04-19 9:32 PM

had our C-tourer i 148 now since mid January .....no issues so far, have had five trips away in uk and am now nr Paris at the start of a ten week or so break.....

quality very good, everything works as it should.....a couple of tiny niggles....the drop down bed rattle a little on bumpy surfaces but will be adjusted on return....

looked very, very, closely at the Compactline.....(and the hymer exsis-i) with the 138 (6.4m) van right up there as we wanted a big garage for our bikes....

whatever next...even Mel's just bought a German van now. will have to change your swift avatar :D

like you say the i 138 same length as our 636 FR but ours longer with the swing out bike rack....the Exsis 474 or 504 also under consideration as 474 @ 6.55 with twin singles. but I prefer the look of the Carthago and it has a larger fridge and normal headlights *-) and just looks more attractive

Those special headlights on the modern Hymers seem to be becoming a bit of a widespread turn off. A Hymer salesman at Perterborough was telling me that some people were buying tow sets of headlights so they can swap betwen L and R dipping easily. Not sure I swallowed that!

We were looking at Carthago Chic models and some of them (2014 model) seem to have flat-floored shower compartments while others have half of it raised by almost 6 inches, presumbaly to accomodate plumbing or something. It's a real bugbear for me not to have a level floor in a shower. OK for people with one leg a lot shorter than the other but even they would struggle to turn round to wash their backs properly!

Comfortin to here that Carthago build quality is well regarded.

Guest JudgeMental
re build quality: was chatting with BK recently and a writer on another magazine *-) got so fed up with his Carthago he PX'd it as as it had so many problems. lets face it they can all have problems......just some more than others! 8-)

CARTHAGO c compactline I 138

Fully integrated camper 3,5 t on Fiat Ducato base

(96 kW / 130 HP, DPF)

DIF is from integrated offered €68.990, approved for four persons

Pleasant drive motorhome. It is stable, the 130 HP diesel engine offers a good

The refinement and completely adequate performance. Optionally it is 138 new c-compactline I

from Carthage with the comfort suspension shock absorbers from AL-KO on the front axle

Offered. They promise one in comparison to the original Fiat spring - and damping system

Improvement of driving comfort for the occupants in the front row. Two airbags, ESP and Hill Start assist

are standard on board. The Fiat cockpit no riddles and is easy to use. The

Front seats are comfortable and offer comfort. With the large front window is for which

Passengers already travel to the holiday. In terms of payload, the 3.5-ton vehicle with 4 offers

Persons and luggage on board room. The long braking distance from 100 is improved

km/h: 45.9 meters are entirely too much up to the stop. Also she could available for an additional fee

Not fully convince automatic climate control. To go with children, offers little of Carthago

Ways to secure child seats. The hail-safe GfKDach provides weather protection at its finest

with lightning protection. The raised floor as a kind of air storage helps, the Carthago

to winterize. Ever the building insulation is managed well, thanks to DometicDoppelrahmenfenster

as well as high-quality roof hoods. There are good ratings for the storage space, the

generously dimensioned and contains many fixing possibilities. The rear bed with high-quality

Mattress is optimally supported by springs and lower-airy, but because of the arduous

and tight score of no access has two side, small steps. Nor could the

Wardrobe attached under the rear bed boast only a garment racks without compartments. The

Furniture construction works as a whole very solid, the ambience is comfortable in noble, bicoloren oak, only

the lighting concept could not convince in the test.

Comfortable and safe chassis, good enough performance

Will

Guys, thanks very much for responses, much appreciated.

Judge, agree with you on quality and looks, would like to go for a hymer as there is a dealer near us, Knowepark, for warranty, but prefer layout/looks of Carthago. We are in Germany again at the beginning of June, so will visit factory then and post views when I get back.

Wiggy/bolero, thank you for your views, always good to get first hand experience.

Will, thanks for translation, tried the link in google translate but said it was too big! Great help! Can anyone assist in translation of full article? Would appreciate any assist or personal email.

Bill

Guest JudgeMental
dicksob - 2015-04-20 8:12 PM

Judge, agree with you on quality and looks, would like to go for a hymer as there is a dealer near us, Knowepark, for warranty, but prefer layout/looks of Carthago. We are in Germany again at the beginning of June, so will visit factory then and post views when I get back.

Bill

Hi Bill, we are thinking alike :-) and I agree with all you say and yes Hymer exsis makes more sense, but if you prefer something else you prefer something else!

As I said earlier my main concern now is just the weight, a chap on MHFacts taking delivery of his i 138 soon and says he is going to weigh it, its in the Carthago section. so probably worth keeping an eye on...

If your buying LHD contact me via PM as I have had a good price from a German dealer

another review: http://tinyurl.com/nrcm6xk

JudgeMental - 2015-04-20 10:24 AM

bolero boy - 2015-04-19 9:32 PM

whatever next...even Mel's just bought a German van now. will have to change your swift avatar :D

like you say the i 138 same length as our 636 FR but ours longer with the swing out bike rack....the Exsis 474 or 504 also under consideration as 474 @ 6.55 with twin singles. but I prefer the look of the Carthago and it has a larger fridge and normal headlights *-) and just looks more attractive

eddie, check the Hymer garage sizes very carefully....not quite as high as the 138 and certainly not as long...i actually took our bikes to test in an exsis-i, went in ok bit smaller models lose length of garage and correspond only smaller door opening.

• 1 month later...
Guest JudgeMental
Change of plan: we are going to Carthago city as well in July on way to Italy. Only because dealer in Ostend did not have one to view on way home from Spain. also going to Hymer factory which is not far from there..

Archived