20 yr old newbie travelling europe advice please?

Travelerkid

Hi, im 20 years old and im after a motorhome to travel around europe in

I've managed to get insured by adrian flux for a 5/6 berth 2.5 litre for around £550

Now realistically... Is there anything i should be aware of when travelling europe? Hidden charges anywhere, restrictions that sort of stuff? And ive got no idea what motorhomes are good/bad but ive been mainly looking at mercades and fiat ducato's

Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks

Make sure your licence covers you to drive a MH. I don't think you can drive any thing over 3500 tonne, so do check your license. With a 5/6 berth you will not have much payload for all the gear, so do your homework carefully. Others with much more knowledge than I have , will come along and give you advice

The price of the insurance seems low to me, regarding your age, and no experience of Motor Homes make sure it covers all your needs.

PJay

Hi, I bet you are looking forward to your adventure. I would recommend good breakdown cover and good medical cover, if you take it for the year not too expensive.

There are so many motorhome and conversions for sale, the only thing we have done as we want to do a lot of island hopping too, is buy the smallest motorhome which which met our needs, but there are only two of us.

Good luck and have fun.

Lynne x

Your a lucky git sounds great.

Are you travelling alone or with other lucky gits, gives us an idea as to what to advise. Personally as a generally anti social sort if I had had the time and money at your age I would have gone solo.

Guest pelmetman
Travelerkid - 2015-04-20 1:44 PM

I've managed to get insured by adrian flux for a 5/6 berth 2.5 litre for around £550

Now realistically... Is there anything i should be aware of when travelling europe?

Avoid staying overnight on motorway service aires if possible, and fit a CO2 alarm ;-) .............

Guest JudgeMental

buy LHD as cheaper and more choice. make sure you get it weighed before buying to make sure its practical and legal in use. what is your budget...just be careful as lots of damp rubbish around...

consider a 2nd battery and maybe a solar panel. That way you can wild camp off grid successfully. Have at least one refillable LPG bottle fitted... And above all do it! you will have a great time, I did it when 22 and memory's still real fresh :-D

Guest peter
PJay - 2015-04-20 2:23 PM

Make sure your licence covers you to drive a MH. I don't think you can drive any thing over 3500 tonne, so do check your license. With a 5/6 berth you will not have much payload for all the gear, so do your homework carefully. Others with much more knowledge than I have , will come along and give you advice

The price of the insurance seems low to me, regarding your age, and no experience of Motor Homes make sure it covers all your needs.

PJay

I don't think any of us would want to drive anything over 3500 ton, unless it was a ship. (lol)

Another wind up by the looks of it.

Unless it's a boy band member. :D

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2015-04-20 5:07 PM

Be careful of loose women :)

german ones best..just wink and smile at them and they start getting undressed :D

Peter your an old cynic......but probably right! :-D

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2015-04-20 7:32 PM

pelmetman - 2015-04-20 4:49 PM

Avoid staying overnight on motorway service aires if possible, and fit a CO2 alarm ;-) .............

Why would you want a Carbon Dioxide alarm? :D

Got me Monoxide & Dioxides in twist again :D ..........

Travelerkid - 2015-04-20 1:44 PM

Now realistically... Is there anything i should be aware of when travelling europe? Hidden charges anywhere, restrictions that sort of stuff? And ive got no idea what motorhomes are good/bad but ive been mainly looking at mercades and fiat ducato's

Have a look at this guy he seems to be doing what 20 year olds should be doing. http://vandogtraveller.com/ He is going solo but you seem to be taking a few others with you. Unless you are hoping to pick up some baggage on the way. >:-(

Thanks for the replies guys, i' am going on my own initially, might bring the dog with me but i think she's too old for that nonsense ha

My budget is £5-6000 not much i know but aslong as it doesn't fall apart at 60mph and it is mechanically sound im more than satisfied

I cant stand them van conversions i need the room, i may be picking people up along the way im sure there must be some genuine people who want to go on an adventure now days?

Im still skeptical about the insurance, but i've rang and gone through it online multiple times and im still getting a qoute, ranging from big 6 berth 2.5 turbo diesels to a 4/5 berth

I really want atleast a 5 berth, im not worried how big it is to manouver i'll make it happen

And yes i suppose i' am abit of a anti social git... Im currently a mechanical engineer but im packing it in to go travelling, your only young once and all that

Ive got my eyes on this one atm:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/mercedes-207d-autotrail-apache-5-berth-diesel-retro-classic-motorhome/1110839015

Guest pelmetman
Travelerkid - 2015-04-20 11:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, i' am going on my own initially, might bring the dog with me but i think she's too old for that nonsense ha

My budget is £5-6000 not much i know but aslong as it doesn't fall apart at 60mph and it is mechanically sound im more than satisfied

I cant stand them van conversions i need the room, i may be picking people up along the way im sure there must be some genuine people who want to go on an adventure now days?

Im still skeptical about the insurance, but i've rang and gone through it online multiple times and im still getting a qoute, ranging from big 6 berth 2.5 turbo diesels to a 4/5 berth

I really want atleast a 5 berth, im not worried how big it is to manouver i'll make it happen

And yes i suppose i' am abit of a anti social git... Im currently a mechanical engineer but im packing it in to go travelling, your only young once and all that

Ive got my eyes on this one atm:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/mercedes-207d-autotrail-apache-5-berth-diesel-retro-classic-motorhome/1110839015

Looks tidy, and its been reupholstered B-) ..........Main thing to check apart from damp is the rubber ie age of tyres, and has the timing belt been changed.

I guess as an engineer you'll be able to sort out the mechanical's? ;-).....

We're all aware that pictures can deceive, but at first glance that van looks to have been pretty well loved. Ask the seller to take a pic of the roof from an upstairs window and if they tell you they live in a bungalow - walk away :D

Seriously though, if a seller can be bothered doing a roof clean, I think you've half a chance. Good luck.

Martyn

I just want to go but it all seems to be flowing too smoothly i couldn't believe it at first considering last year no-one would insure me, my mum and dad are making me do my research properly because as you can imagine they aren't to fond of the idea

And believe it or not as a mechanical engineer i dont know much about car engines :$ , something i will have to get to grips with before i go, guys at work telling me the motorhomes engines are really compact and some areas hard to get too?

Bloody hell i dont understand some people, what dont add up? What, because a 20 year old wants to go travelling in a motorhome? Why do you think im on here im young and nieve but im smart enough to know that i dont know everything like most people my age, so im looking for help and advice from more experianced people

Yeh ok the majority of people who own a motorhome are older, but dont think im making all this up just because i say im 20, thats just being narrow sighted or whatever

Im a respected 'guru' on the dt125.co.uk forum and have been for years, so im not new to using forums etc

And its my 20th birthday today just thought i'd add that lol :D

Personally, I'd be looking for something as small and as "new"(and maybe as "rudimentary" kit-wise?), as I could get away with.

At 20, the last thing I'd want to be doing, is lumbering around in some old shed, which has had 20+ years of being subjected to damp dog and stale fag smoke and with an interior reminiscent of my Granny's front room!... :-S

If you envisage picking people up on the way (? ! )...then maybe get a tidy mini/midi-bus, and just convert it(again, as rudimentary/basic as you can get away with) and just leave a few extra, belted seats in..

And get decent, all-encompassing breakdown cover...(..."..Daaaaad! ...come and pick me up.....pleeeeze!..", is not going to go down too well. ;-)

Archived