20 yr old newbie travelling europe advice please?

Travelerkid

Haha yeh i've had that before when im outside a club at about 3 am lol, if his reaction is anything like it was then i would do allot to avoid it

Ok appreciate your advice, i'll have to look around try make my mind up, do you think it would be cheaper to convert a van/minibus as appose to finding and buying a half decent motorhome?

I think pepe is right. Buy a van and kit it out as basic as possible. Less to go wrong and you will look much more cool on South of France in a surf bus be type thing than a twenty year old granny flat on wheels.

Anything this age will go wrong at some point and could cost a lot to rectify.

Guest pelmetman
ips - 2015-04-21 6:58 PM

I think pepe is right. Buy a van and kit it out as basic as possible. Less to go wrong and you will look much more cool on South of France in a surf bus be type thing than a twenty year old granny flat on wheels.

Anything this age will go wrong at some point and could cost a lot to rectify.

I disagree ;-) .........Fitting out a bus that's done a trillion miles is going to be more expensive and risky, than buying a camper that has usually been cherished by its owner, plus the OP is more likely to get his money back when he sell's on a camper than something more basic B-) .......

As for the myth that older vehicles are expensive to rectify *-) ...............just had 2 front wheel bearings replaced today.....84 quid B-) ...............how much would a main dealer charge for the same job on a fiat? :D ........

Guest pelmetman
ips - 2015-04-21 7:12 PM

I didn't mean an actual bus. I was getting down with the kids as I believe that is what they call vw type surf van thingies.

Have you seen the price they fetch now? 8-) .............

Travelerkid - 2015-04-21 5:58 PM

Ok appreciate your advice, i'll have to look around try make my mind up, do you think it would be cheaper to convert a van/minibus as appose to finding and buying a half decent motorhome?

Cheaper?...probably not, no (...especially not when compared to some of those cheaper ones,already linked too)..

I suppose part of my point was, as a 20 year old "winging it", are you going to want/need most of the kit in a "motorised caravan"?.. let alone having to try to get some it's aging kit fixed, should the need arise

( - heater, split charger, hot water boiler, fridge etc..).

Forums are awash with experienced- elderly, MHers, befuddled by some of the faults that their Mhs throw at them....

But if you feel you'd be happy enough with motorhomes similar as has been linked too, then as long as they check out okay......then maybe..?

They wouldn't have been for me as a 20 year old though. ;-)

pelmetman - 2015-04-21 7:22 PM

ips - 2015-04-21 7:12 PM

I didn't mean an actual bus. I was getting down with the kids as I believe that is what they call vw type surf van thingies.

Have you seen the price they fetch now? 8-) .............

GOOD Point

See im not bothered what it looks like, im not trying to impress anyone i just need a ride, ok the inside i could chuck another £500-1000 to get it up to date and looking how i want

I was looking heavily into getting a vw t25 high roof campervan, forget the old school classic vw camper its like £20,000 for a picture of it, but i decided against it because there just was not enough room, and me being 6'3 fitness freak of 15 stone i could imagine how cramped it would be, and i dont know how long i could put up with that on long term travelling

I thought these motorhome engines were suppose to be bullet proof?

Guest pelmetman
Travelerkid - 2015-04-21 8:10 PM

I thought these motorhome engines were suppose to be bullet proof?

Indeed they are if they're looked after, and quite capable of high mileage, so check for a full service history ;-) .........

Travelerkid,

I'm getting a little confused. OK you start off by suggesting collecting a few people along the way and you get replies accordingly. Then you talk of a VW which is mighty smaller. I don't think you know what to do and are asking for ideas.

What do you really want to do, touring Europe is fine many do it in a variety of vehicles, train, bus, even on a bike. I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

Where do you want to go, its a big area. You could spend months there and see only a little. Many understand some English, many refuse to answer if you are English. If you want a taste go across on a ferry for a couple of days.

You say you're 20 and a mechanic, its not a licence to tour Europe.

Sorry Travelerkid you're enthusiastic enough but you should really do some basics first.

I'm old enough to be your great-grandfather and have travelled plenty but without researching well you're a non starter.

Will85

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2015-04-22 11:13 AM

As an aside I would be terrified if my 22 yr old embarked on such a journey but I am very protective of all my family.

Just saying.

Yes its natural to have concerns, But my 23 year old daughter did it, flourished and survived and now my 22 year old son is 2 months into a 5 month South American back packing tour, and having a fantastic time, staying in hostels, meeting interesting people, living on tight budget etc...etc......Backpacking the normal choice of most graduates... *-)

I'm getting sick of being censored at every turn...there is so much wrong on this thread that dont ring true....its simple and obvious to the less gullible among us...

JudgeMental - 2015-04-22 11:40 AM

ips - 2015-04-22 11:13 AM

As an aside I would be terrified if my 22 yr old embarked on such a journey but I am very protective of all my family.

Just saying.

Yes its natural to have concerns, But my 23 year old daughter did it, flourished and survived and now my 22 year old son is 2 months into a 5 month South American back packing tour, and having a fantastic time, staying in hostels, meeting interesting people, living on tight budget etc...etc......Backpacking the normal choice of most graduates... *-)

I'm getting sick of being censored at every turn...there is so much wrong on this thread that dont ring true....its simple and obvious to the less gullible among us...

Eddie, I think your 2 have/are doing it the "normal" way of students. and had I believe traveled far and wide with you, so are probably "worldly wise" I do think traveling alone in a van, is open to more problems, especially as he appears to know little about engines! Mechanical engineers, don't necessarily learn about vehicles, but machines. (My OH is a qualified one, and did 5 year apprenticeship) Having said that , my nephew traveled to India in a london bus , but that was 40 odd years ago.

I am all in favour of the youth of to-day travelling and seeing how other cultures live, maybe will help in the future. I wish it had been possible in my day, but it was an adventure to go on a "package " holiday then!!

Hope Op thinks carefully about the encounter, and maybe get a travelling companion.

PJay

PS glad you still look in on us!! Your experience is allways valid,

I have nothing against young people going off on their own but whoever and whatever, research is essential. My grandson has just decided to cycle from Monaco to Calais, great but he's well prepared.

I guess a lot of advice comes from one's family and our Travelerkid's father has already offered his so he's fine. Anyone can often be identified by their appearance but until they open their mouth they are unknown.

Will

I know what i want to do, i want to travel in a motorhome, i mentioned that i had looked at vw's but did not take to them

Aslong as im abroad and doing what i want when i want thats travelling and freedom, yes im on here for your advice but its on living costs and to gain a little knowledge of the vehicles im looking at purchasing, your opinions are welcome but they will do nothing to sway my intentions

Cheers for the replies! :)

Guest pelmetman
Travelerkid - 2015-04-22 5:45 PM

I know what i want to do, i want to travel in a motorhome, i mentioned that i had looked at vw's but did not take to them

Aslong as im abroad and doing what i want when i want thats travelling and freedom, yes im on here for your advice but its on living costs and to gain a little knowledge of the vehicles im looking at purchasing, your opinions are welcome but they will do nothing to sway my intentions

Cheers for the replies! :)

I admire your spirit when faced with grumpy old men :D ...........and I can appreciate the urge to travel .......fortunately I was able to get the taxpayer to pay for my urge ;-)...........as I joined the navy back in the day when the adverts said "See the world"...........it said b*gger all about the risk of being killed though (lol) ......

Not wishing to pry, but I will anyway :D......... how do you intend to fund your traveling?........as the opportunities for casual employment are not what they were a decade ago :-| ...........

I've saved up about £15000

I will work where i can also if i need to

The other aim, i didn't want to say this because allot of people i know say it sounds stupid, but i want to volenteer at animal rescue centres whilst im travelling, just something i'd like to do and who's going to turn down a volenteer

Guest pelmetman

Looks tidy outside, and the upholstery is original...........not sure why they've painted all the woodwork?........worth a look, but I'd be suspicious if the wall's and ceiling have been painted too ;-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Travelerkid - 2015-04-22 6:11 PM

I've saved up about £15000

I will work where i can also if i need to

The other aim, i didn't want to say this because allot of people i know say it sounds stupid, but i want to volenteer at animal rescue centres whilst im travelling, just something i'd like to do and who's going to turn down a volenteer

15k of beer tokens B-) ................

Reckon your going to need a bigger camper if you plan to volunteer and dog rescues :-S ..........

We've brought back 2 dogs so far :D ..........

Archived