Having an isofix system fitted

rh8437

Looking for advice. We have a Hobby motorhome. There are 2 rear seat belts and a side seat under a window (behind driver's seat) without seat belts. We are wondering if it would be possible to have an isofix system fitted to the side wall of the side seat so that when a baby seat were fixed there the baby would still be facing backwards. The reason for doing this would be to be able to travel with 4 adults and the baby. We currently place the baby seat on the rear seat (rear facing) using the seat belt to secure it.

If anyone has done something similar or has an opinion on this we would be grateful to hear from you.

I am not suggesting that we try to do this ourselves. We would need to find a garage able to fit such a system.

Many thanks

Hi..

No idea what the "legal" side of this would be but I should imagine that,hopefully, they'd be pretty strict?

I would be expecting to have the same degree of "ironwork", that my existing seatbelt anchors had..

(..ie quite substantial framework, bolted down through/picking off, chassis mountings?..)

I take it you've googled/contacted these type of operations?...just to get a yay/nay?...

http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/services-repairs/camper-van-seat-belts/

Sorry, no experience of retrofitting an Isofix system. My only experience is having one built in by the manufacturer. You could try contacting the manufacturer of your motorhome or whoever built the chassis.

My Hymer 2013 manual says my 'Fiat seats' are unsuitable for fixing child seat restraints. It says I could fit them if I had a Mercedes base. Therefore, if the manual is right, I should not carry anyone below the age of 13. Hymer manuals tend to reflect German/EU legislation, not necessarily UK legislation/guidance.

I do know in the past there were concerns about motorhomes in which the seat bases form part of the bed. Apparently, any child seat would bounce around because the foam would be too soft and in some cases, the seat could slip out of the restraints [submarining was the term used]. Don't know if these concerns still apply.

I would have thought that your "Log Book" should dictate how many passengers you can carry? It probably says 4 seats including driver? I would not put any child/adult on a side facing seat. What if you had a side impact accident?? We have had one, and it certainly moved us .(in a car)

PJay

PS if you did add a "seat", you would need to tell DVLA and insurance company (if they will allow it)

I think you will find that any seat restraint system has to be fitted to the chassis. If you look at the rear seat belts you will find that they are fitted to a substantial metal frame. Safety systems are subjected to rigorous tests. IMO this is a none starter.

Archived