Euros? Exchange now or wait?

Billggski

Guest Had Enough

Well, if the financial experts haven't got a crystal ball and can't predict which way the euro will go, I'm not sure that a bunch of us ordinary motorhomers can give you any solid advice.

Me, I don't even worry about it. It will be what it will be, and either way it's peanuts in the grand scheme of running a motorhome and touring Europe in it.

I go to Europe, stick my card in an ATM and draw a couple of hundred quid cash now and then, but pay for all major expenses using my credit card which gives me the current best rate.

Life's to short to be worrying about how I could have saved a bit by hoarding euros in advance and Murphy's Law states that if you gamble it will go the other way!

Ps When I was in Germany last September cash was no longer the king it might once have been and every restaurant and fuel station took cards.

It was a fair enough question but as has already been said - who knows?

How long is a piece of string?

Do ya feel lucky - well do ya!!

We too don't much care either way as in the grand scheme of things it matters little to us - just a few more or less quids for the kids to spend when we am gone and I suspect they will divest themselves of it in far less time than it took us to accumulate it!

Hi Billsgski

Well I keep an eye on the Caxton card rate and that can change throughout the day. I also watch bbc markeidiotch http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/intraday.stm

When I need euros I monitor these and know from BBC if the euro is due to drop or go up throughout the day and it gives me an idea if it will go up or down for the next day in places like Tesco and No 1 currency.

By monitoring these I buy usually before it drops too much but it has hovered around this high level for a couple of weeks now so I would say that the euro started high this morning and is dropping now then you will get a lower rate tomorrow. Further than that I haven't a clue where the euro will go.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hung parliament expected so factored into current rates.

If I were making a large purchase like a house I'd be more concerned about timing but with £2k, I'd either convert it all now or hedge your bets and half now and half after (simplistically, you'll only be half wrong whatever happens!)

here's a budgeting thought, today you know the rate, tomorrow, who knows.

However by buying your currency now, you can in effect fix your exchange rate at today's price.

it might get better or worse, but you would have fixed your budget, thus removing the uncertainty. .....unless the euro ceases to be, that is.

Guest JudgeMental
I got my 2k euros @1.40, next day it dropped significantly.....pundits were saying could go to 1.50...who knows!

Archived