What a lovely surprise!

JuliaJackson123

Hello, a newly with a Nuevo!

I've been a motorhome owner since the 6th Feb this year, learnt many things in the few weeks I've had it. One being don't buy the Vango Keela standard, should have bought the tall, 230v is the elec heating not something to do with the leisure battery!

The most lovelyest thing I've found apart from the freedom, peace, time and adventure that comes with this amazing lifestyle is the nice people I have met so far, and those willing to offer advice in the nicest British way!

I've camped in Club sites so far, and a lovely CL site for which my gas was used to power my fridge! In the middle of a farmers field with owls and hares all around, being a photographer this was just heaven for me.

I'm currently at Torcross in South Devon and been fishing today. I love seeing the different vans that people drive, and the little caravans that seem so tiny then the door opens and two fully grown humans pop out!

The thing I have realised is that I need to get a motorbike to take along with my as I want to nip down little lanes, or got to small beaches but can't take the motorhome down them, so spoke to the dealer who can fit the towbar, I have researched the trailer type and pinpointed the BMW F650 that will suit me so that will really enhance this for me.

It's all very clever and enjoyable stuff and I've figured out I can hopefully do this till I'm pst 80 of I've got another 50 years of doing this touch wood!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid you have caught the bug. Dont worry it is not terminal. We caught it five years ago and the symtoms have not got any better. The problem will come in another five years when i am 70 when the insurance companies and the DVLA start putting obstacles in the way. We will overcome! Is what I say.

Can't comment on the motor bike idea, we use human powered bikes and choose our overnight stays carefully to avoid steep hills.

Enjoy the life.

JuliaJackson123 - 2015-04-24 7:45 PM

The thing I have realised is that I need to get a motorbike to take along with my as I want to nip down little lanes, or got to small beaches but can't take the motorhome down them, so spoke to the dealer who can fit the towbar, I have researched the trailer type and pinpointed the BMW F650 that will suit me so that will really enhance this for me.

Hi Julia, Welcome to the forum & the wonderful world of motorhomes.

The BMW together with a trailer will be a fairly weighty combination. I assume from your age you will have a restricted licence. Please check your licence regarding the weight of trailer you are allowed to tow, Then check if the motorhome weight plate (for motorhome maximum weight & gross train weight,) then the bike/trailer to ensure all are within the weight limits. A visit to your local weighbridge is advisable. (with the van loaded in touring trim) Then add in the weight of the tow-bar.

Good luck

A BMW F650 motorbike should weigh no more than 200kg.

The basic UK Category B ‘car’ licence entitles a person to drive vehicles up to 3500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg). So Julia should have no problems as far as the weight of the trailer+bike is concerned. As the trailer should be well below 750kg, it won’t need to be braked.

Cliffy - 2015-04-24 9:33 PM

I am afraid you have caught the bug. Dont worry it is not terminal. We caught it five years ago and the symptoms have not got any better.

Sorry Cliffy but you are quite wrong - the bug is terminal - I caught it over 50 years ago and there is no sign of any cure so I expect to go that great Aire in the sky one day, albeit without the van!

Good luck Julia, welcome to the madhouse - safe travels and enjoy !!

Archived