fixed penalty points

m6dog

I am seeking urgent advice. I have received a fixed penalty fine for speeding,I can pay the fine on line but I have to send my driving licence in by post. anyone know how long it will take before I get it back,i am booked to sail to spain late may,I have telephoned all numbers on the sheet with no luck all our lines are busy try later etc etc .I wrote to the fixed penalty office to explain my problem and asked if my case could be fast tracked that was 4 weeks ago. I even called in my local cop shop but they were no use,so not sure what to next should I post my licence and keep my fingers crossed any advice most welcome, thanks Keith.

I suggest sending the payment and copies of everything else and stating that you need the licence to travel as they cannot confirm sending it back in time.

That way you haven't avoided payment and given your side of the situation. Explain all that you have done to conform and assist the situation.

Keep it polite and keep the correspondence alive. Ask someone to open your mail and reply if it arrives while you're away.

Keep copies of EVERYTHING you do.

Will

Just spotted your post , if you now have a plastic licence you should have received with it a "paper counter part" this it what any endorsments are recorded on,and this is I think is what you send in with your payment

The paper counter part I have learned is to be abolished from June 8th and after this date will have no legal status .

Hope this helps

I think the chop date for the paper additional sheet is June 6th rather than the 8th but maybe I misread it.

If you are leaving late May I would send it off as instructed with a covering letter requesting prompt return and why - but photocopy everything as well, just in case. Maybe also arrange for someone to mail the licence to you in Spain if necessary. I once forgot my V5 and got that posted on (to France) and it only took two or three days to arrive.

Guest Had Enough
m6dog - 2015-04-25 10:12 AM

I am seeking urgent advice. I have received a fixed penalty fine for speeding,I can pay the fine on line but I have to send my driving licence in by post. anyone know how long it will take before I get it back,i am booked to sail to spain late may,I have telephoned all numbers on the sheet with no luck all our lines are busy try later etc etc .I wrote to the fixed penalty office to explain my problem and asked if my case could be fast tracked that was 4 weeks ago. I even called in my local cop shop but they were no use,so not sure what to next should I post my licence and keep my fingers crossed any advice most welcome, thanks Keith.

Have you not been offered a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine? If you have this option, take it. You can take it up to three months after the offence I believe.

Thanks everyone. managed to get through by phone this morning, paid the fine and was advised to send licence by recorded delivery promised I would get my licence back in 2 weeks so crossed that off the list also e mailed dvla yesterday. they said they could not help but they could issue a certificate of entitlement cost £5 and would post or fax it abroad contact phone no (+44)300 790 6801 this might be of interest for anyone having same problem. many thanks for your answers. cheers Keith

Archived