Tackling overnight motorhome parking near Bamburgh, Northumberland

sambukashot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Joe90

Loved this bit they quoted

“To a greater extent, it has solved the problem in that the bigger vans cannot get in any more and we hope the smaller vans will see the notices and go elsewhere.

Does this ban just not typify the attitude of authorities in England to motorhomes? Instead of spending money building fences to prevent motorhomes staying, why not provide say ten marked spaces for motorhomes and charge maybe £5/6/7 a night. If not possible to provide services then make parking only and impose a 48 hour limit if worried about long stayers.

Compare and contrast this with the approach taken by the authorities taken in Port Louis, Brittany, where we have been staying. Here two Aires are provided which between them accommodate 60 vans, but seeing demand over French Spring Holiday period was greater than this opened up municipal camp site as an additional aire to take a further 40 vans (site only functions in July and August). We understand also from French vanners that in July/August the large grass area outside one of the Aires is utilised.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-04-25 6:33 PM

Loved this bit they quoted

“To a greater extent, it has solved the problem in that the bigger vans cannot get in any more and we hope the smaller vans will see the notices and go elsewhere.

Perhaps you missed this bit though:

'Mr Calvert said: “Before you used to get one or two camper vans and they would tidy up after themselves, but now people are using the tops of the dunes as toilets.”

He added that people are flushing out all sorts of materials into what is a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest), despite the fact there are eight camping and caravan sites in and around Bamburgh, Seahouses and Beadnell.

“They should be supporting the local economy, but they come fuelled up and stocked up with food and don’t spend any money,” he said. “Last year, someone parked their van and then drove home during the week in their car so that they had their spot.

“We are not anti-camper van, but they have their place and it’s only due to their reluctance to obey the law that we’ve had to take action.'

But Robert (or is it Jean) had the right idea. They should impose an overnight charge of between £5 and £7. That would get rid of the lot of them.

These reports always remind me of what it's like along the Mediterranean coast of France and other places such as the Ile de Re. Making height barriers is a great business to be in in many parts of France.

Nobody ever mentions these places though.

Guest Joe90

NO I did read it all, perhaps when the folk they have chased off, just as they have by us, they'll find that the sand dunes are just as they are here, full of dog crap, some thoughtfully bagged to stay fresh, cans, Costa coffee cups, discarded disposable barbecues, nappies, the little ladies bits of tissue they use for God knows what, and take away cartons from everyone under the sun, including the local chippie

Don't believe me, come down any time I'd be glad to show anyone around, and not a camper van in sight, apart from mine with a for sale sign on.

We are on a Stellplatz in Saarburg, Germany at the moment. Very pleasant.

They have 'named and shamed' about 20 vans, publishing their registration numbers as not being welcome to return. My German is not good enough for a detailed conversation for the reasons but I understand it to be for emptying grey water/toilet in places other than service point. Dumping is free but you may have to queue for a few minutes.

We also spent a night on an Aire in Aywaille, Belgium en route here. A jeton was required to empty the cassette. You guessed it, the tight, dirty, inconsiderate b******s dump yesterday's meals on the grate where you empty grey water

Misuse happens everywhere. I've seen cassette waste emptied on grey water dump points on CC (Cornwall) and C&CC (Moffat) sites. Ask the wardens their experience.

So when I see numbers of fellow motorhomers camping 'wild' in the UK I am suspicious.

I don't know if Calvert is right or wrong but I suspect the tight, dirty, inconsiderate b******s above referred to, are culpable?

Guest Joe90

Yes your correct of course, some folk of whatever mode of transport or nationality need to be taken out and shot, but it always seems we as a group are the main targets.

We often go up in the Cader Idris mountain range near us, at the top which is only accessible by car is a small car park, but whatever you do, don't look the other side of the stone walls, mind you on a good day your nose will tell you all you need to know without looking

but you can bet your life if you could get a motorhome up there, they would get the blame us as a group every time, and that's what I really object too, everyone else apparently a paragon of virtue, when that patently is not the truth, drive down any main road with the ever worsening blight of litter, and fly tipping all over the place should tell anyone that, as well as my old favourite the fresh doo doos doggy bag casually thrown away when no one is looking.

HI

It`s the oldest story in the book. Always some Bar Steward will eventually spoil it for the bulk of the populous. Think of anything which 40years ago was "free". now its either Charged for or Banned!

Respect for your fellow "Man" went out of the window with the withdrawal of "Corporal Punishment" in Schools, discipline was the cornerstone of society, without which SELF discipline is absent!

But then, as I am repeatedly told, I am just "an old dinosaur".

Pete

Two points. Yes the estate could stop all visitors but have they not got businesses which depend on people being able to park up in cars? Would it not be better to encourage visitors in all kinds of vehicles to come?

Second, regarding parking restrictions in parts of France. Frank is correct that motorhome parking is regulated in certain areas but, and this is the important point, in almost all cases Aires are provided so motorhomes can stay easily. This contrasts with most places in England where no alternatives are available when restrictions are imposed and nothing is provided. On the Ile de Re for example, there are at least seven Aires for motorhomes, three of which we have used all of which were convenient for town, restaurants etc.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2015-04-26 11:01 AM

Two points. Yes the estate could stop all visitors but have they not got businesses which depend on people being able to park up in cars? Would it not be better to encourage visitors in all kinds of vehicles to come?

Second, regarding parking restrictions in parts of France. Frank is correct that motorhome parking is regulated in certain areas but, and this is the important point, in almost all cases Aires are provided so motorhomes can stay easily. This contrasts with most places in England where no alternatives are available when restrictions are imposed and nothing is provided. On the Ile de Re for example, there are at least seven Aires for motorhomes, three of which we have used all of which were convenient for town, restaurants etc.

Yes, but the reason why France has many aires and many other countries (not just Britain) don't, has been explained to you time and time again.

And once more, there are no aires in Paris for example, one of France's most popular tourist destinations and again, the reason for this has been explained to you more than once.

Guest Peter James

As I recall Its free to park in the village (which is more attractive than the castle) and a 5 minute walk up to the castle if you really want to go Or you can pay (expensive) to park at the castle and miss the village :-(

Castles have been owned by the very worst kind of people. The only thing I really liked about the castle was the views from it, but there are plenty of equally attractive views to be had for free along the coast.

Bit of a no brainer really :D

Running a Motorhome was a little elitist when it started but has become a convenient live-in-for-free device for moving about the countryside with many owners stopping anywhere and behaving as they choose.

There has to be restrictions. It cannot be avoided.

PS I may be odd but accept that paying for overnight stays is all part of the 'going away' attitude, I never seek a free overnight stay unless forced by being lost.

Will

Guest Joe90
Had Enough - 2015-04-26 11:16 AM

Yes, but the reason why France has many aires and many other countries (not just Britain) don't, has been explained to you time and time again.

And once more, there are no aires in Paris for example, one of France's most popular tourist destinations and again, the reason for this has been explained to you more than once.

But conversely many major cities in France do have aires, we've stopped at many over the years, I won't bother to name them as I'm sure you know that, and many major tourist attractions also provide facilities almost always free of charge, Rouen when they staged the tall ships Armada in 2013, which we attended, had gone out of their way to provide a large temporary Aire to accommodate motorhomes, but there we go, on the usual merry go round.

Perhaps when the very last council have decided to make parking nigh on impossible day or night anywhere, we'll all be singing from the same hymn sheet, but I won't hold my breath.

For me its not the overnight bans that annoy, but the 'Blanket No Motorhomes' in perfectly large car parks that could easily accommodate us, I find that very discriminatory, almost as bad as ' No blacks, dogs or Irish'. That you used to see outside boarding houses in the 50's. And just as insulting. Should be illegal. Us? Who motorhome exclusively in the UK ? We solved our problem by towing our small car behind our motorhome on an A- Frame, best thing we ever did.We now laugh at their stupid height barriers. The title of this thread should be ' Tackling the problem of Discriminatory and Bigoted Town Councils'. That is something that the industry should get tackling as well as ' Selling the Dream'.

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 12:24 PM

For me its not the overnight bans that annoy, but the 'Blanket No Motorhomes' in perfectly large car parks that could easily accommodate us, I find that very discriminatory, almost as bad as ' No blacks, dogs or Irish'. That you used to see outside boarding houses in the 50's. And just as insulting. Should be illegal. ......

Well hardly! People cannot choose whether or not to be Black or Irish. It is what they are. One chooses to buy a motorhome. Wild comparisons do any campaign for better facilities for motorhomes no favours.

Had Enough - 2015-04-26 11:16 AM

Frank you really should have been a politician in the way you manage to ignore points which negate your arguments, like how Aires on Ile de Re compensate for other restrictions, and return to old chestnuts like no Aires in Paris! As Joe fairly points out many towns and cities in France, where land prices are also high, do manage to provide Aires. As great lovers of cities we have stayed on many. Now on aire at Vannes, bus outside aire for short ride to centre, and later moving to aire in Nantes. Both these are operated by the French private Aires company Camping-car Parks (Yes we know many people do not like this company). We mention it only because understand that this company are in negotiation to set up an aire in Paris.

Bamburgh Castle Estates can do what they like on their own land as it's privately owned. However there are no signs anywhere indicating that The Wynding belongs to Mr Watson-Armstrong and Bamburgh Castle Estates.

There are two lay-bys along the The Wynding, the first has one car on with barely enough room for another car. The second lay-by is a bit more sizeable with 4 cars parked and if totally empty would possibly squeeze 6-8 large motorhomes or 10 pvc campervans.....at a max.

So the statement of "the lay-bys along the Wynding had around 30 or 35 camper vans using them to park overnight illegally" is not quite correct.

I suspect that figure relates to two very sizeable 'off road' Parking areas which directly overlooks the sea.

Does Mr Watson-Armstrong, the Castle owner, actually own The Wynding road and that section of land? I cannot find anything to indicate he does.

Guest pelmetman

The title of this thread should be ' Tackling the problem of Discriminatory and Bigoted Town Councils'. That is something that the industry should get tackling as well as ' Selling the Dream'.

That's the same industry who want you to stay on their overpriced campsites ;-) .............

Guest Joe90

Had a stop off for a few hours at Aberaeron last week on the way home, parking down on the seafront in uniform bay sizes, laid out in a single row without an end bay boundary line,, so no issues about overhanging a bay.

Walked down to get my pay and display ticket only to discover cars were charged at £2, but motorhomes were charged at £5, couldn't quite see how much the bloke had paid that had parked his Artic tractor unit down there though, nor the bloke in his builders van, perhaps they were both cars, they certainly weren't motorhomes.

As for campaigns for better facilities for motorhomes, a pipe dream I'm afraid, it's going in exactly the opposite direction, and I'm not talking about wilders stopping overnight, it's stopping full stop at any time of day.

Joe90 - 2015-04-26 7:26 PM

As for campaigns for better facilities for motorhomes, a pipe dream I'm afraid, it's going in exactly the opposite direction, and I'm not talking about wilders stopping overnight, it's stopping full stop at any time of day.

It is just that and that's where it will remain as we are obsessed with subservience to 'rules' and prohibition notices. Even where there aren't any, you can be sure as hell some little Hitler will soon be along.The message is clear. Bamburgh is just one of many more places that doesn't want MH/Campervan people so take your money elsewhere.

Whenever i'm off on my travels the only money i spend here is a full tank of diesel. I buy absolutely nothing else and where i once used to shop in Dover before boarding the Ferry, i no longer do that now. I tank up with more diesel at Dunkerque Auchan, spend a couple of nights on the excellent Aire at Bray Dune where i go for morning coffee and evening meals. Then before setting off i do a full shop at the nearby Carrefour where i can also take on fresh supply of water and dump any grey water.

The day i drive onto a UK Supermarket forecourt with grey water waste disposal and fresh water points, i will think i'm in a foreign country.

Gwendolyn - 2015-04-26 12:58 PM

For me its not the overnight bans that annoy, but the 'Blanket No Motorhomes' in perfectly large car parks that could easily accommodate us, I find that very discriminatory, almost as bad as ' No blacks, dogs or Irish'. That you used to see outside boarding houses in the 50's. And just as insulting. Should be illegal. ......

Well hardly! People cannot choose whether or not to be Black or Irish. It is what they are. One chooses to buy a motorhome. Wild comparisons do any campaign for better facilities for motorhomes no favours.

. Such is the mean spiritidness of discrimination.

pelmetman - 2015-04-26 5:39 PM

The title of this thread should be ' Tackling the problem of Discriminatory and Bigoted Town Councils'. That is something that the industry should get tackling as well as ' Selling the Dream'.

That's the same industry who want you to stay on their overpriced campsites ;-) .............

I do stay on their overpriced campsites, but I still need to park during the day.I am not looking for better treatment than a car driver, just the same treatment.

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 11:12 PM

Gwendolyn - 2015-04-26 12:58 PM

. Such is the mean spiritidness of discrimination.

You may well have a case to make regarding discrimination. But it doesn't help if you construct a weak argument in support of that case.

Archived