sambukashot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gwendolyn - 2015-04-27 7:47 AM

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 11:12 PM

Gwendolyn - 2015-04-26 12:58 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 12:24 PM

For me its not the overnight bans that annoy, but the 'Blanket No Motorhomes' in perfectly large car parks that could easily accommodate us, I find that very discriminatory, almost as bad as ' No blacks, dogs or Irish'. That you used to see outside boarding houses in the 50's. And just as insulting. Should be illegal. ......

Well hardly! People cannot choose whether or not to be Black or Irish. It is what they are. One chooses to buy a motorhome. Wild comparisons do any campaign for better facilities for motorhomes no favours.

. Such is the mean spiritidness of discrimination.

You may well have a case to make regarding discrimination. But it doesn't help if you construct a weak argument in support of that case.

I wasn't ' Constructing an Argument' I was simply pointing out a similarity of attitude.

Guest Joe90

Well after reading the full article on the link provided it does sound as if a more positive approach is being taken by planning to provide facilities, rather than an outright ban, perhaps they have made a judgement that there may be some revenue in it for them in the long term, I guess the eventual pricing structure will govern it's success or failure.

Excellent that MMM have taken it up, perhaps given that this is an industry that pays a lot of people their wages a more pro active campaign fighting sometimes downright petty and restrictive rules that are more and more prevalent could just turn back the tide a little in our favour,

If Canterbury can do it, why can't it be done pretty much everywhere, we are not looking for a free ride, just a level playing field.................well not literally.

;-)

Sometimes, if you make enquiries, you get a pleasant result. I emailed the Beamish Museum to ask if there is provision for motorhome parking. I had a cordial reply saying that there is; directing me to a suitable location; adding that if we wished to stay there overnight, then to let the car park attendant know.

Guest pelmetman
Duncan MMM - 2015-04-27 9:13 AM

We spoke to the Bamburgh Castle Director on Friday. The Wyndings is a public road, but the spaces off it are land owned by the Estate. You can still get a campervan in the space, but not a motorhome. Full story - http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/Travel-and-Sites/Wild-camping-spaces-sealed-off-at-Bamburgh/_ch1_nw4018_pg1

Read the article Duncan.......especially this bit ;-)

"The nearest camping site for motorhomes is a short distance from Bamburgh at Meadowhead’s Waren Caravan and Camping Park which has 39 motorhome pitches at £11.50 per night."

Dunno when the £11.50 a night is available?....... the cheapest price seem to be £21 :-S ..........

Which equates to nearly 30€ for the cheapest pitch in April 8-) .............

Guest Joe90

You can get a grass pitch without electricity for just two weeks in early March for £12, I wonder if there is any charge for towing you off. :D

A premium pitch for the same weeks is just £20,

must put that down in my to do list, Northumberland in early March. :D

pelmetman - 2015-04-27 12:39 PM

Read the article Duncan.......especially this bit ;-)

"The nearest camping site for motorhomes is a short distance from Bamburgh at Meadowhead’s Waren Caravan and Camping Park which has 39 motorhome pitches at £11.50 per night."

Dunno when the £11.50 a night is available?....... the cheapest price seem to be £21 :-S ..........

Which equates to nearly 30€ for the cheapest pitch in April 8-) .............

Hmm, quite right. I've updated the story accordingly.

Duncan

Joe90 - 2015-04-27 5:30 PM

I'm not recommending anything, drive into a swamp for all I care. ;-)

Reminder - we are all supposed to be nice to each other whilst Lord Duncan of Warnerville is watching over us!

Maybe this thread has run it's course?

Joe90 - 2015-04-27 1:27 PM

You can get a grass pitch without electricity for just two weeks in early March for £12, I wonder if there is any charge for towing you off. :D

A premium pitch for the same weeks is just £20,

must put that down in my to do list, Northumberland in early March. :D

You need to give a bit more information about early March in Northumberland because as far as I am aware, there are NO campsites open until Easter in that area.

As for 30 to 35 motorhomes/campervans, that is pure rubbish. As has been said, there is not enough parking space for that many.

I have wildcamped at Bamburgh in the past. Once in December and twice in February. There were a few regular dogwalkers but nobody else (apart from the early morning camera buffs taking sunrise photos of the Castle). It was a no go area in the Summer anyway as it is difficult to park a Mini then. We often attend a THS at Beadnell but also take the car as it opens up a lot of the Northumberland Coast.

Bamburgh is now a no go area for us because of their action. We will not visit in the depths of Winter (and spend money) neither will we spend a penny in the town if we take the dogs to the beach in the car while at the Beadnell THS.

Also I would like to add that great swathes of the Northumberland coastline have been named as SSSI. When trying to find details of these particular SSSI's online, no real information is forthcoming. That is because it is a major con provided by faceless Quangos who like to control us. One just has to look at the area around Huttoft. They moved huge earthmoving equipment in, completely altered large sections and fenced it off. They then said they were SSSI's, important natural areas for indigenous species. THE B*****DS HAD JUST DUG EVERYTHING UP. You could not make it up but at least it got rid of the motorhomes. *-)

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2015-04-27 11:13 PM

Joe90 - 2015-04-27 7:47 PM

Open 6th March

http://www.meadowhead.co.uk/WarenHome/Tariffs.aspx

At £2.50 per dog, it works out at £24.50 per night for me. :-(

So, as they say ...... I'm out.

£2.50 for the dog 8-) .............never noticed that :-| .............

So that's £14.50 for a grass pitch in Northumberland in March..........or for less money a fully serviced pitch in sunny Spain minutes from the prom and a pleasant town?...........Hmmmm that's a toughie :D ..........

Guest Peter James
Alright for some when they can inherit an estate because their ancestors stole it hundreds of years ago, then charge the plebs that sort of money to park on it? If the Tories or UKIP have their way they will abolish inheritance tax altogether. Can understand the Travellers thinking 'just sod them we'll park on it anyway?

Peter James - 2015-04-28 8:27 AM

Alright for some when they can inherit an estate because their ancestors stole it hundreds of years ago, then charge the plebs that sort of money to park on it? If the Tories or UKIP have their way they will abolish inheritance tax altogether. Can understand the Travellers thinking 'just sod them we'll park on it anyway?

Absolutely right - why would anyone want to get off their own backside and work and plan ahead to create wealth and security for themselves and their families when it is so much easier to call yourself a victim and take the easy route of leeching and scrounging off of others who you deem to me unjustifiably more fortunate.

Why don't we all do it and pretty soon there would be no law enforcement and what a pretty site the coast and country would be? So maybe these wealthy families that were in the right place at the right time all those years ago have not done such a bad job of preserving much or our heritage after all?

Or maybe nationalise the entire country then we will all be equal in theory but there will always be those more equal than others, mainly party members in place of land owners - perish the thought!

Perfect it ain't, but are the alternatives any better in the cold harsh reality of real life?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-04-28 9:39 AM

Peter James - 2015-04-28 8:27 AM

Absolutely right - why would anyone want to get off their own backside and work and plan ahead to create wealth and security for themselves and their families when it is so much easier to call yourself a victim and take the easy route of leeching and scrounging off of others who you deem to me unjustifiably more fortunate.

Why don't we all do it and pretty soon there would be no law enforcement and what a pretty site the coast and country would be? So maybe these wealthy families that were in the right place at the right time all those years ago have not done such a bad job of preserving much or our heritage after all?

Or maybe nationalise the entire country then we will all be equal in theory but there will always be those more equal than others, mainly party members in place of land owners - perish the thought!

Perfect it ain't, but are the alternatives any better in the cold harsh reality of real life?

Or they could hand their estates over to the National trust, who appear to be even more rapacious than their original owners 8-) .................

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2015-04-28 7:51 AM

So that's £14.50 for a grass pitch in Northumberland in March..........or for less money a fully serviced pitch in sunny Spain minutes from the prom and a pleasant town?...........Hmmmm that's a toughie :D ..........

Yes, it will be great fun for any family that has two weeks' holiday. They might get two full days on the site in Spain after they've travelled and spent hundreds of pounds on fuel. Bit of a toughie for them eh?

Maybe a good thing though, as in summer Camping Calpemar charges €39 per night for a medium pitch and from the photos I've seen on its website and ones that you've published on here it looks more like Dale Farm than a proper campsite. My standards are higher than Camping Calpemar I'm afraid, but each to his own.

But here's something for you to think about. If I want to explore Northumberland and the Borders, which we did a couple of years ago, what good is it to me to be told about a Dale Farm type of camping refugee camp a thousand miles away?

That's not really much of a toughie is it?

Had Enough - 2015-04-28 11:11 AM

pelmetman - 2015-04-28 7:51 AM

Maybe a good thing though, as in summer Camping Calpemar charges €39 per night for a medium pitch and from the photos I've seen on its website and ones that you've published on here it looks more like Dale Farm than a proper campsite. My standards are higher than Camping Calpemar I'm afraid, but each to his own.

That's not really much of a toughie is it?

Yep mine to. Have to say the campsites in Spain that so many seem to love are my worst nightmare, so the sun shines, it would need a lot more than that for me to stay in one of these slums. OK there are without doubt a few good ones but the pictures I have seen on here so far, and I assume these are the best views, are pretty awful, would rather stay at that other well known motorhome slum called Honfleur aire.

Guest pelmetman

Yes, it will be great fun for any family that has two weeks' holiday. They might get two full days on the site in Spain after they've travelled and spent hundreds of pounds on fuel. Bit of a toughie for them eh?

35€ = £25 (at current rates) for a standard *fully serviced pitch* at Calpemar in the high season which is just 6 weeks......

As opposed to £27 for a fully serviced pitch at Waren..........unless of course you have a dog....which'll add another £2.50, making it nearly 30 quid a night.... also their high season is 10 weeks.......

Plus I think you'll find Calpemar accept the ACIS card for most of the year......does the Waren? :D .....

BTW its just as well its not your cuppa tea Frank, as all the large pitches are fully booked for the foreseeable future ;-) ........

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2015-04-28 11:42 AM

35€ = £25 (at current rates) for a standard *fully serviced pitch* at Calpemar in the high season which is just 6 weeks......

As opposed to £27 for a fully serviced pitch at Waren..........unless of course you have a dog....which'll add another £2.50, making it nearly 30 quid a night.... also their high season is 10 weeks.......

Plus I think you'll find Calpemar accept the ACIS card for most of the year......does the Waren? :D .....

BTW its just as well its not your cuppa tea Frank, as all the large pitches are fully booked for the foreseeable future ;-) ........

Yes, but the pound is very strong and if it was at levels that we've seen in the past, a slum in Spain would be a lot dearer.

But consider this, most sites in the UK do no or very little business in winter and have to make their profits in the warmer months. Your Spanish refugee camp is open all year and seems to be busy all year yet its normal prices, in a near Third-World country are similar to UK sites.

And did you know that if you nip over the water to even sunnier Morocco the sites there are up to half the cost of Spanish sites, rip-off Spain eh?

But to some extent all this is irrelevant. This thread is about parking in Northumberland and how easy it is to find a proper campsite nearby.

Ps Your €35 is for a small pitch and small really does appear to be small. The true comparison would be the ones at €39. And it may be booked up, but so was Dale Farm.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2015-04-28 12:00 PM

Ps Your €35 is for a small pitch and small really does appear to be small. The true comparison would be the ones at €39. And it may be booked up, but so was Dale Farm.

9 x 6 metres.........compared to a CC pitch?................If its like the one we had in Oban then I'd say it was on par, but compared to the one we had at Inclelboro fields, Calpemar is massive and there was no right of way through my awning either :D ...............

Guest pelmetman

"Yes, but the pound is very strong and if it was at levels that we've seen in the past, a slum in Spain would be a lot dearer.

But consider this, most sites in the UK do no or very little business in winter and have to make their profits in the warmer months. Your Spanish camp is open all year and seems to be busy all year yet its normal prices, in a near Third-World country are similar to UK sites.

And did you know that if you nip over the water to even sunnier Morocco the sites there are up to half the cost of Spanish sites, rip-off Spain eh?

But to some extent all this is irrelevant. This thread is about parking in Northumberland and how easy it is to find a proper campsite nearby.

Edited by Had Enough 2015-04-28 12:03 PM"

BTW how do you manage to edit your posts without an edit tag line showing? :-S ............

Archived