Dual Band Wireless

starvin marvin

Our existing laptop has now died, the package I'm looking at I can for approx £20 buy a USB adaptor for something called "Dual Band Wireless" the model is TEW-805UB which apparently connects to something called "Wireless AC network or to " Wireless N"

Problem is I've not got the faintest idea what the hell wireless AC or N means/does. Could this have any advantage for m/h's as dim as me?

Over to you savvy types.

Guest Had Enough

Many wi-fi routers (transmitters) are dual band. Think of them as the equivalent of a radio station transmitting on medium wave and FM.

With your dual band usb wi-fi stick you'll be sure of receiving a signal whichever of the two protocols on which a nearby router may be transmitting.

It's not quite as simple as that as the later and better AC system is backwards compatible with the previous N systems anyway but you get the point I'm sure.

...wireless AC is faster than wireless N (and can theoretically be much faster), and may have a better range through reduced interference.

However, in order to connect using wireless AC from your device, the router or access point you're connecting to must also support wireless AC.

If you want to take advantage of it at home, you will probably have to change your router.

If you want to take advantage of it on your travels, you will have to find an access point that supports it. In my experience, wireless N is now almost ubiquitous on our travels (having replaced the former slower wireless G), but wireless AC is still pretty rare.

I would think (particularly if you haven't a wireless AC router at home), wireless N (usually now the default) should be quite sufficient (and you could always upgrade with a USB device later).

Most wireless adaptors are backwards compatible with the older, and slower, protocols.

(It is termed "Dual Band" because wireless N operates in the 2.4GHz band, whereas wireless AC operates in the (currently less congested) 5Ghz band).

Archived