Grey waste and CS / CL

ips

Had a couple stay for three days on leaving I asked if they had enjoyed there stay he said yes apart from not being told what to do with grey waste.

I have never given this a thought before now as I assumed folk who stay on a feild with no amenities just dump it in the hedge it certainly has never been mentioned in the past.

So what do people think of the above should we tell people what to do with grey waste or was this just a one off.

It's never safe to assume anything.... ;-)

Just have clear signage and/or hand out a leaflet on arrival, as water and waste are the main things we want to know...

They may not have wanted to sling it in the hedge, in case they risked a rollocking ..?

(..also you run the risk of having some clueless dullard emptying their cassette in the hedge... :-S )

55 years of camping in everything from a tent to a m/h. Mainly in CS/CLs, I have always emptied the grey waste into the hedge and the toilet into everything from a hole in the ground to "just tip it on top of the cow manure heap"!

I reckon it is best to assume everyone is a beginner and to put notices up about everything. The one thing that I get a bit annoyed about is when someone uses the drinking water tap to rinse the cassette.

Emergency numbers for the doctor, chemist, local garage and very importantly the local pub.

Maps of local walks, local attractions and so on can be very helpful.

H

hallii - 2015-04-28 1:34 PM

I reckon it is best to assume everyone is a beginner and to put notices up about everything.

The one thing that I get a bit annoyed about is when someone uses the drinking water tap to rinse the cassette.

..yes, that and folk swilling off their pans and plates into the grate by the freshwater tap, so it ends up clogged with food debris... *-)

ips...If your black waste disposal point has a short length of hose on it's tap, may I suggest attaching some form of baffle/collar a couple of inches from the end?..so that it stops people "threading" it down inside their cassettes?...(..if that makes sense...?)

We stayed for one night a couple of years ago. From memory I put it in the chemical disposal. I have a collapsible bucket and use it when there is no drive over drain. If we'd stayed for longer wouldn't have fancied the bucket routine though. Certainly did not chuck it in the hedge.

You have a pond adjacent - from memory - so chucking it in the hedge may not be best idea?

I think it would be good to clarify what you want done with grey water.

We've stayed on some CL/CS when I've been told 'chuck it in the hedge' though I'm reluctant to do so if there's a watercourse nearby

Arthur

Guest pelmetman

Personally I've always found a bucket with a crack in the bottom works a treat ;-) ............It collects all the bits, and as the water drains slowly the ground seems to soak it up without turning muddy :D .......

Many Thanks For The feedback just to clarify we have separate hose for chemical disposal which is no were near the fresh water tap..

Arthur how are you ?

Empty down chemical point is fine in summer however we have high water table and in winter it can be quite high in the tank.

I just assumed everyone using a cl cs used there judgement as to were to put it. The hedge line which is behind the chemical point is the obvious choice but no prob doing what Arthur did conditions permitting. Sounds like we had better make it clear by signage to stop any confusion. Having said that I don't recall ever seeing anything to this effect on any cl cs we have stayed on.

Not sure at times what people want for £7-50 pn. Some seem to expect big site amenities with 24 he warden on tap but for cs price.

Ps

We have local info re shops etc and offer advice on walks in the area etc but we are always open to constructive ideas.

Guest Joe90

Must confess wherever I find myself I look for a dedicated drive over point for grey waste, strolling off with a bucket and chucking it in yours or anyone else's hedge without strictly being told to do so isn't something I'd be comfortable with, it's your property after all, and I'd certainly ask my host how to dispose of it first.

...I've thrown grey water along the hedgerows since I was a scout.

I always ask, however, on THS's etc., as it is rather embarrassing to have pointed out to you that you're expected to use a designated waste point.

If you already have notices, it wouldn't do any harm to clarify.

ips - 2015-04-28 4:34 PM

Arthur how are you ?

Empty down chemical point is fine in summer however we have high water table and in winter it can be quite high in the tank.

I'm fine thanks. In France at present. We will be back to your CS ..... honest ......

I think £7.50 is a bargain. What you provide suits us, except in winter when we prefer EHU. Overall though we intend to respect nature and the hosts wishes

arthur49 - 2015-04-28 8:07 PM

ips - 2015-04-28 4:34 PM

Arthur how are you ?

I'm fine thanks. In France at present. We will be back to your CS ..... honest ......

Look fwd to it. Have fun in France.

If we get home with water in the waste tank we dump it on one of our cart tracks, but wouldn't dream of doing that on anyone elses land unless told, same for emptying under a hedge.

As above never assume people know what to do, a little tip, don't refer on any notice to grey and black tanks/water, had to point out to one person that was about to empty a cassette down a grey water drain that there was a proper disposal point he was a bit flummoxed at first as he was holding a grey toilet cassette!

I would welcome a sign giving me the go ahead to empty the grey water in the hedge. When I am not sure I try to seek out the site owner to clarify where I am expected to empty the waste water, otherwise I use the chemical disposal point.

John

ips - 2015-04-29 10:21 AM

Good point Robin.

Think we will just tell folk verbally or site will be full of ruddy signs

When you get to a site with a big board of rules it aways seems a bit off putting to me, but you can understand why this happens on big sites.

Just how big are folk envisaging this sign?.... (lol)

I would've thought that a simple sign(s) directing folk to the fresh water tap, waste water disposal and toilet disposal points, would be the obvious things to expect...and such signage would be helpful, not off putting?...

(Our previous neighbour/landowner/landlord had a CS(or CL?)and he had no signage for anything..the result was, it was quite usual to see folk wandering in and around their "farm" buildings/workshops, looking for the "service point".

I kid you not but he told us that they even had a woman go around the back of their barn conversions, into their utility room and use their loo! (lol)

As I said up thread- Assume nothing!

Guest adhple
When there is no drive over empting point we use a short hose with a filter on the end so the water drains away, at the end of the stay the filter can be cleaned into the bin ( we use grass cuttings in the filter)

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2015-04-29 12:21 PM

Instead of signs hows about a leaflet given to each one on arrival.

And that would be my answer. The whole thing would take one sheet of A5 paper, which could also be laminated and stuck up in a suitable place on the site.

I think that it's important that people know that it's acceptable to dump grey waste in hedgerows. Many people are very precious about grey waste and you'd think that we were dumping toxic chemicals.

I remember an incident on a site in Croatia. I couldn't find a grey water disposal and, although there must have been one somewhere, I decided just to dump a few bucketfuls into the shrubbery. I was parked in front of dense wild shrubs and trees and, as I distributed my waste around the base of these, a German guy from over the road stood there with his hands on his hips glaring at me for daring to be so unhygienic!

It is a fact that some folk think that it's wrong and even dangerous, neither of which is the case. Much better to put them at ease about it as soon as they arrive.

Archived