Bordeaux

martin h

We are travelling to the Bordeaux area in May and can’t find an aire near the city; I have looked in the Aires book. The nearest campsite I can find to the city centre is La Village du Lac – is the most convenient for the city or is there an aire or motorhome parking in the city please?

Guest pelmetman

The campsite also has an aire, not sure how much a night it is, although the campsite does now accept ACSI.

Plenty of buses seem to pass the gates so should imagine access into the city should be easy ;-) ....

We have stayed at the Village du Lac on a couple of occasions. Yes there is an aire outside, well at least we saw a couple of vans there last October. The site is nice and has elec and water on pitch. The buses do run from outside the camp, so ideal for seeing the city . The site site is nice to walk around as has lakes

PJay

Hi

We have stayed at the la Village du Lac on a few occasions now, it is an ideal overnight stop on the trip to Spain and easy to find. The site is next to a large exhibition hall, their equivalent of the NEC and I think non campsite parking is dependent upon what, if any, exhibitions are on.

Buses do stop outside the camp entrance but most unusually, going towards the city, the campsite reception have to telephone the bus company, let them know how many passengers there are and ask it to stop- passengers then wait in reception until the bus arrives.

The bus does not go into the city. It goes to an interchange 6-10 minutes drive away where you then hop on a tram which takes you into the city. You pay a standard fare, 1 euro 40 I think, which lasts you for 1 hour on any for of transport in / around the city.

We did not like Bordeaux. It was very cold when we were there, the cathedral was closed for renovation, coffee and drinks were very expensive and we got ripped off when we had a meal in the market cafe. This was a great disappointment as we had meant to have a day in Bordeaux for many years and when we did we wished we had not. Next time we will go to the vineyards!

Sure you will have a better experience

Good luck

Bob

I know you are enquiring about an Aire but this might interest you too. On my last trip to that area I stayed in the Arcachon Basin. You can have the best of both worlds there - campsite by the beach and then a train to Bordeaux. I stayed in Camping Municipal de Verdalle in Gujan Mestras. This is a very reasonably priced Municipal site right on the beach in a small town and is about a 5/10 minute walk to the train. The trains run very frequently - probably every hour or so. The trip is about 40 minutes and cost about €10 at that time.

Bailey - 2015-04-29 1:02 PM

I know you are enquiring about an Aire but this might interest you too. On my last trip to that area I stayed in the Arcachon Basin. You can have the best of both worlds there - campsite by the beach and then a train to Bordeaux. I stayed in Camping Municipal de Verdalle in Gujan Mestras. This is a very reasonably priced Municipal site right on the beach in a small town and is about a 5/10 minute walk to the train. The trains run very frequently - probably every hour or so. The trip is about 40 minutes and cost about €10 at that time.

Just a word of warning. Don't visit the villages around the arcachon basin in peak times. The traffic is terrible and we got to the point where we didn't want to go out because travelling a few miles literally took hours and parking was impossible - and this was in a car!

Archived