Max Wt & Payload

DBH

I wonder if anyone can help My wife and I wish to purchase a motorhome/camper, nothing too large, we have been looking at AS Executive/Nuevo or similar size, however my wife is disabled and I wish to carry a mobility scooter on a hydraulic mobility rack, saw one at the York show, has anyone any idea if either of these vehicles can have a tow bar fitted and would the max payload of these be sufficient for a scooter of 140kg plus rack and all other items we must carry, water fuel, wine, more wine, ourselves etc. Nuevo Payload 611 kg Executive Payload 438 kg Many thanks Dave

Hi Dave, Probably not. By the time you've got your rack and tow bar fitted (say 100Kgs) and add the scooter on top you've got near to a quarter of a Tonne hung on the back. Take into account the distance behind the rear axle of all this extra weight and it'll impose something like 300-350 Kgs load at the axle which will almost certainly put your rear axle over it's limit. Add to that the fact that 240Kgs out of your proposed vans available payload leaves you precious little to play with for the necessities of life. You'd be better off with a small trailer for the scooter. D.

Even if you put the scooter in a garage version, you are still likely to overload the rear axle for the reasons Dave states - the leverage of the load behind the axle. Very many garage models are unable to take the loads buyers wish to put in them. And in case anyone wishes to join all those who ignore such niceties, there are three extremely good reasons for not doing so: 1. You'll almost certainly overload the rear tyres, creating the conditions for a potentially dangerous blow-out. 2. If (or when) you do crash, your Insurers will almost certainly refuse to pay out on the basis that you're driving an illegal vehicle. 3. You're breaking the law, and the police in the UK are now having a blitz on overloaded motorhomes.

I should add that very many of the rear racks - especially those that attach to tow balls - sold at motorhome shows could not be fitted legally to very many motorhomes. You probably need a twin rear axle or twin rear wheel model to take the load. The problem is: - the tow bar will probably weigh around 100 Kgs - the rack is unlikely to weigh less than 50 Kgs - the load (scooter) is probably also near to 100 Kgs. That's 250 Kgs, probably 1.5 to 2.0 metres behind the rear axle and it adds around 400 Kgs to the rear axle of a typical vehicle. Remember, the salesman does not have to check the legality of what you do when you've bought his product, BUT YOU DO.

[QUOTE]DBH - 2006-10-15 6:22 PM I wonder if anyone can help My wife and I wish to purchase a motorhome/camper, nothing too large, we have been looking at AS Executive/Nuevo or similar size, however my wife is disabled and I wish to carry a mobility scooter on a hydraulic mobility rack, saw one at the York show, has anyone any idea if either of these vehicles can have a tow bar fitted and would the max payload of these be sufficient for a scooter of 140kg plus rack and all other items we must carry, water fuel, wine, more wine, ourselves etc. Nuevo Payload 611 kg Executive Payload 438 kg Many thanks Dave[/QUOTE] Hi Dave I have an 06 Nuevo with a Towbar fitted by Towtal and an Easylifter mobility scooter rack. Funny enough I checked the weight at my local weighbridge the other day. Checked with one body onboard a full tank of fuel and the toilet flush tank full but no fresh or waste water. Also van ready to go except clothes and camera's. First of these weights are for the 2.2ltr version the 2.0ltr only has a MTPLM 3300 kgs. front axle actual 1750 -- 1420 rear axle actual 1900 -- 1760 MTPLM actual 3400 -- 3180 So as you can see it can be done although my scooter only weighs 100kgs are you sure of your scooter weight 140kgs seems rather a lot. Mine is a 8mph and what I consider a full size one. The towbar as fitted has a gross weight capacity of 200kgs. I will admit that mine felt a bit rear heavy but since then I have had Airride suspension fitted and now do not notice any difference. If I can help with anything else please ask. Best of luck Pete

Archived