Thermal windscreen blinds

coot

coot - 2015-04-29 9:49 AM

We thinking of getting a Thermal cover for the windscreen of our motorhome. Is it worth buying one if so what is best one that fits on the inside or outside. U

Definitely worth while. We prefer external ones but others might prefer internal - as they are entitled to.

Ours is a genuine Silver Screen, and we had one on an earlier van that we had.

Dave

Guest Joe90

Having owned both types the internal ones will not defeat condensation, whereas external ones do, quite where all that moisture goes is another question. :-S

Downsides, well sucker marks with internal ones, and still condensation, but external ones could end up soaking wet to pack away, our external ones consequently languish in the locker the vast majority of the time..........would I bother with either if considering them now,unless doing winter touring probably not.

Hi folks, just a suggestion re windscreen blinds

our van is fitted with the ones we draw across at nights internally, so rather than buy expensive internal silverscreen, we were advised to go to b&q and buy a roll of their insulating material used behind radiators to reflect heat back into rooms

We did this and have cut and joined pieces to make internal front and side screens. The front screen is simply held in place by drawing the internal blinds , and the side screens are held on by 4 sticky back velcro

Pads in suitable places on the door frame.

initially we made paper patterns before cutting the material, and total cost for a roll was only a few pounds.

cheap and cheerful it may be , but does what it is supposed to do.

tonyg3nwl.

coot - 2015-04-29 10:29 AM

Thanks Joe 90 I think we will probably get internal one. Sucker marks should come off with window lean?

I suggest you think again. External Silverscreen or Tailormade fit like a glove and are made with an insulation layer between two layers of plasticy, waterproof covering and it doesn't matter if they get wet - and we have often just slung them in the locker before departure for sorting out later, so as long as you have an external locker, don't worry about them getting rained on. They can also be left in place but folded down during the day, to let some light in and allow you a view.

They are extremely effective at preventing condensation forming inside the windscreen and well worth using when the weather is cool or cold.

I don't think internal insulation works half as well.

coot - 2015-04-29 10:29 AM

Thanks Joe 90 I think we will probably get internal one. Sucker marks should come off with window lean?

. Depends whether you camp in cold weather or not ? In very hot sunny weather the exteriors will keep the cab cool and pleasant. the exterior ones are way better, in cold weather internals will stream with condensation. This subject has been 'done to death' many times before. Choose wisely.

We've only ever had internal screens...and although I was initially underwhelmed by ours(and fully intended to get external screens), we found that for our UK(all year)use, they were okay.

Yes, come time to move on there'd be some condensation to clear but nothing a quick wipe wouldn't sort(..and a couple of rolled up towels kept laid at the base of the screen stopped anything running down where it shouldn't).

...and for the last few years with our last van, we rarely used ours at all(..maybe having a rear, french-bed with a vent above, helped? as we were sleeping away from the cab?)

BUT...I'm sure we only paid around 40 odd quid for ours(Millenco?) and I look now and some are around the 80-90 quid mark!..so if someone is looking at spending that money, they may as well stump up the extra and get the externals..?

(..that's if they suit their usage and camping style?..)

We have some internal ones but only use them at home in the summer to help keep the motorhome cool. I realy couldn't be bothered fafing about with external ones continually taking the off and putting them on especially if it's raining never mind having to,try and find a place to store them wet in a PVC!

Archived