Aires on west side of France

JohnP

robertandjean - 2015-04-30 3:00 PM

Had Enough - 2015-04-30 1:00 PM

vindiboy - 2015-04-30 11:24 AM

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/vindiboy1/library/WILD%20CAMPING%201  Wild camping for the non believers hee hee.

Wild? The first picture of that aire (and a few others) looks very cosy. ;-)

I wild camp when the circumstances are right, I also like some aires but many are (for me) only good for an overnight stop. I've had some lovely ones though and the one by the river at St Antonin Noble Val for example is one where we stayed three days, but only because it was quiet and we had the end slot. If it was busy and there'd been a 'van four feet on either side of us we'd have moved onto the campsite down the road.

If we decide that we'd like to stay somewhere for a few day I also like certain types of sites as you get a large pitch and there's no scrabbling around trying to find water or a suitable place to wild camp and I enjoy meeting all the other people nearby.

But what I am not is an proselytiser for one kind of camping over another. I can understand why people don't want to pay for sites, I can understand why people may enjoy wild camping even if they can afford sites, I can understand the attraction of many aires, but I can't understand how people can put up with a great many of them, which are crowded slums. In this case cost, or lack of it, must be the only attraction.

My wish though would be that you and others try to understand why so many people prefer sites. Yes, we have self-contained mobile homes but we like space, we like to stay somewhere nice for longer periods and walk and cycle or motorbike around the area, rather than moving on and driving every day.

So I suppose my message is, we all like different methods of camping and we shouldn't be constantly feigning bewilderment because others are different from ourselves. But haven't you noticed that you seldom get people starting threads telling us about a nice campsite that they've just found? But we do seem to get a number of threads by those pushing aires and wanting to convince us how wonderful they are?

Not sure why few threads on favourite camp sites, maybe site users have not the same degree of enthusiasm for their chosen places to stay as us aire users! Why are we such enthusiastic Aires users? We just think that it epitomises what motorhome lifestyle is all about, but understand that others, like yourself Frank, enjoy campsites and facilities and nothing wrong with that. To be fair this thread did start not by someone saying Aires great but asking for ideas regarding Aires in a particular area, which we gave. Yes agree that for a lot cost is often main reason for using Aires, but on most Aires we tend to use cost is little different from camp sites. It is also not always correct to say that staying on Aires means moving every day On this trip, for example, we have stayed for 3, 1, 8and 5 days on respective Aires so far with 3days in prospect where are now. Not alone in this as find French vanners doing the same.

But no matter how you use your van main thing is get out and use it and enjoy the Bank Holiday. Weather here in south Brittany now very wet, hope better where you are but still enjoying it and on hard standing, another advantage of Aires!!!!

Agreed ... Use Aires , don't use em ... Use sites or don't ... Who cares how others use motorhome

Archived