Vehicle Tax Class

simes10

Hi All, I imported one of the UK spec RHD drive 3.5T Globecar PVC’s from Germany discussed on this forum at the end of last year. Process was straightforward with exception of a small hiccup with the DVLA but I am very pleased with the van and the huge financial saving made.

The DVLA initially rejected the registration in January on the basis I had not sent the correct payment for tax. When I received the V5 the tax class allocated is a diesel car and based on the Co2 level the tax payable is £265pa. When I queried this the DVLA eventually advised me verbally that in Aug 2013 a new regulation was introduced stating all motorcaravans up to 3.5T would be classed as diesel cars not PLGV’s. I am seeking written evidence of this but would be interested to know if anybody else has had a similar experience when registering a new imported van in the last 18months.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Simon.

The first section of the following link refers to "NEW RULES FROM 1st AUGUST 2013”

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-road-tax.shtml

If you click on “here” at the end of that section, this will download a document explaining the situation that is more complex than you have been led to believe.

From 1 August 2013, if a Type-Approved vehicle is UK-registered as a "MOTOR CARAVAN” and its final-stage Certificate of Conformity (CoC) carries a CO2 emissions figure, the vehicle will be placed in a UK taxation class appropriate to that CO2 datum (ie. it will be essentially be licenced as if it were a ‘car’).

I have copied the document’s text below:

"New Licensing Arrangements for motorhomes/motorcaravans

From 1st August 2013 a change was introduced for the licensing of all vehicles type approved within the M1SP category and this includes motorhomes/motorcaravans.

It is important to note that when licensing newly registered vehicles in this category for the first time, DVLA representatives should only be considering the Certificate of Conformity (CoC) for the final stage vehicle. Although, all other CoCs (ie first stage, second stage CoCs) relating to the vehicle must also be provided to the DVLA.

Where original first or second stage base vehicles are converted by manufacturers to a motorhome, the conversion process will affect the original emissions figure stated by the first stage base vehicle manufacturer.

Therefore, most motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturers/converters do not quote a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC. Accordingly, the CO2 emissions field on the final stage CoC will normally be left blank when registering the vehicle via Automatic First Registration & Licensing AFRL or with a V55/4 form.

Where no CO2 emissions are present on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle it must be licensed in the Private Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle taxation class, depending on weight.

If however the motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturer/converter has stated a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle then the motorhome/motorcaravan should be licensed in a vehicle taxation class based on its CO2 emissions. Where the CO2 figure is provided on the final stage CoC this will be captured and recorded on the vehicle record.

If you are unsure as to which CoC covers the final stage approval for the finished vehicle it is the one which has the same type approval number as that stated on the V55/4 Registration form.”

(It’s probable that your Globecar has two CoCs - one produced by Fiat/Citroen (that may well contain a CO2 figure) and a second produced by Globecar (that may or may not contain a CO2 figure). It’s the Globecar CoC that matters and - if that has a CO2 figure on it - the DVLA will have correctly classified your vehicle according to their August 2013-onwards rules.)

Thanks for the welcome Derek and the information provided which is exactly what I am after. I really do not understand why the DVLA couldn't provide me with this document on the 2 occasions they responded to my query.

I need to consider this more carefully but I believe this confirms they have made a mistake. The Dethleffs/Globecar CoC does not make reference to Co2 whereas as you suggest the Fiat one does.

Thanks again

.....I have had it confirmed by a dealer as part of the pre-purchase discussions that a (UK-sourced) 3.5t Globecar will be registered as PLG, and not in accordance with its emission ratings.

This is entirely in line with the background Derek has given, as long as Globecar don't record a CO2 rating on the final stage CoC.

I will hopefully be in a position to confirm in the next week or so. ;-)

(If you have a final stage (Globecar) CoC with no emissions data, as I expect to do, then you should definitely dispute the arrangement with the DVLA.

simes10 - 2015-04-30 2:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome Derek and the information provided which is exactly what I am after. I really do not understand why the DVLA couldn't provide me with this document on the 2 occasions they responded to my query...

It’s quite likely that the people who currently deal with UK registration of motorhomes are unaware of a joint-DVLA/NCC advice-note written in 2013.

Did you take the CO2 figure from the Fiat CoC and insert it in Section 34 of the "Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a new motor vehicle" (V55/4) form that you will have sent to the DVLA when you applied for registration? If you did, then there’s every chance that this figure would have been entered into the DVLA’s computer system, causing the vehicle to be placed automatically in a diesel-car tax class.

Once a vehicle has been placed in an inappropriate tax class it can be a helluva job sometimes correcting this. However, if you send the DVLA the Fiat and Dethleffs/Globecar Certificates of Conformity, plus a copy of the 2013 DVLA/NCC note, and point out that the Dethleffs/Globecar final stage CoC has no figure in its CO2 emissions field, you should be able to persuade the DVLA to reclassify your motorhome as Private/Light Goods and refund the £35 cost difference.

When you register a new vehicle you don't send the DVLA a C of C anymore, you send them your VCA certificate, which should have the CO2 figure left blank, unless as Derek suggests you inadvertently sent the Fiat C of C to the VCA instead of the Globecar one. If this is the case your best bet is to contact the VCA and try and get a new certificate, hopefully DVLA should take more notice of that.

I sent the CoC from both Fiat and Globecar to them which I'm sure was requested at the time. The joint statement from DVLA and NCC highlighted by Derek does state all CoC's should be sent but only the final stage CoC should be considered for the Co2 figure. That is the basis of my argument.

Anyway I've written a letter to the DVLA and enclosed the evidence which I will post later so we will see how they respond.

Thanks for your help everybody

simes10 - 2015-05-01 4:46 PM

I sent the CoC from both Fiat and Globecar to them which I'm sure was requested at the time. The joint statement from DVLA and NCC highlighted by Derek does state all CoC's should be sent but only the final stage CoC should be considered for the Co2 figure. That is the basis of my argument.

Anyway I've written a letter to the DVLA and enclosed the evidence which I will post later so we will see how they respond.

Thanks for your help everybody

I think that is your problem, you only need to send the final one as it will superseded the others, my van had 3, Fiat, Al-Ko & Hymer I only sent the Hymer one.

Archived