inverter

chas

Hi all- I am thinking of fitting a small inverter in the van about 150-300 watt to run small chargers off , shaver/ digital camera/mobile phone/ ect, but one thought crossed my mind was if it runs off 12v and gives out 240v , what is the position with an earth, is there one? as I will only be connecting up TWO wires to the leisure battery + and - does the vehicle body act as the earth in 240v mode? Many Thanks Chas

The inverter should cut out if it detects any voltage on the output earth pin. All the items you list - and all the mains leads for low voltage transformers/chargers - have no earth on the 3-pin 13 amp plug anyway. Doubtless Clive will give us chapter and verse on the electronics.

Many of the inverters on the market today have the output socket NEUTRAL terminal connected to the BATTERY INPUT LEAD NEGATIVE inside the inverter. This provides a link between vehicle chassis and the 13 amp socket neutral pin but actually serves no purpose because the inverter output is seldom connected to the vans mains hookup point and does not flow through the vans earth leakage detection circuit. If however the output of your inverter is NOT connected to neutral inside the inverter then you have a fully isolated supply which means you are unlikely to get a shock should you touch the live output of the inverter alone. Confusing isn't it?

Archived