Help!

silksheen

Hi Folks, I am a new to the motorhome idea and looking for some guidance and advice. As much with modern life the choices and range is bewildering and i was hoping for some steer from members. I am looking for a spacious and reliable motorhome (who isn't!) that is priced ideally under 20k. I am a large guy (tall) and am leaning towards a 6 Berth with a lounge configuration at the rear, or at least somewhere I can stretch out and watch tele! I travel a great deal in Europe, in fact most of my time is spent there so I would prefer a LHD model. I have looked at some Hymer's which appear to be the most well-built, but I am slowly getting more confused as time goes by. I have been to a couple of dealers but naturally they are there to sell so I take their view with a pinch of salt. I am happy to have a twin axle van, I guess I want it all! I really appreciate any assistance and apologies for sounding such a bloody novice!

Before you spend money, get reading, so at least you know what you are looking at, and some idea of what your 'must haves' are. Any topic that you want to know about, check the search option on this site, It will have usually been discussed(and perhaps argued about!) Before. Don't be afraid to ask though. There is a wealth of knowledge (and many differing opinions) on here. Make enquiries specific though.

I appreciate that reply, I am above all looking for reliability and room. The end lounge is my preferred option as I will also be using it for work meetings when on the road - I work in Adventure Training and therefore have to move all over Europe. I have read lots of horror stories about damp and poor wiring, so again a well built van. I am reading as much as I can but only started this week!

The two main issues that come up time after time are damp and payload.

If buying from a dealer get a recent habitation check including readings with a damp meter, and then a warranty. You can buy your own damp meter if buying privately, look on this forum for the worst spots, and makes.

If you can get a weigh bridge print out, about £7 around here, and then look at the metal plate under the bonnet to find your maximum weight. Subtract the actual weight and that is how much you can legally carry. Some are surprisingly lacking in this department, but the dealer will never mention it.

Rear axles can be overloaded, especially if there is a big garage at the back.

If very young or very old you could be limited to 3500K without an extra test.

The rest is personal preference, and price.

A boss of mine was once thanked by a potential client for a very short letter, which contained two squares, one large, the other small. The letter said, in terms, the large rectangle represents what you want, and the small rectangle what you budget will buy. I think that is roughly where you stand.

You can buy old vans with all you need, but will have to accept the potential for unreliability in all areas, and the consequent repair bills, or hours of DIY. From what you say, reliability in use would be quite a high priority.

I'd say first go to the website of Vicarious Books (Just Google it) and look for a book called (from memory) "Go Motorhoming and Campervanning Europe". Buy a copy, and sit down a read the lot. It will give you most of the insights you are seeking.

Then give consideration to how you imagine using the vehicle, and how much time you think you may be able to spend in it. Then, hire something that seems close to what you think you want, LHD, if you wish, and see how you get on. Germany and France are good sources of LHD hire vans.

Hi Silksheen & welcome to the forum

You don't give your location. but there are various Motorhome Shows coming up & that's where you will see the biggest range of motorhomes available, see:-

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Shows-Events/15/

Although many on display will be new there will also be lots of folks with their own vans.

You say you are looking for a 6 berth, but it would appear many of your travels will be alone ?

Matching 6 berths to 6 belted seats could limit selection. Does your licence restrict you to 3500kg ? Again could limit selection & eliminate tag axle models (twin rear axles) which will exceed the 3500kg MPTLW

Archived