Folding lecky bike

Pete-B

As anyone got a folding electric bike they would recommend or perhaps someone could advise on what's a good, or not to touch bike. Although were still very active the duchess and I are getting to the point, or the knee's are, where the 20-30 ride-outs are getting to be quite painful.

We would much prefer folding bikes so that we could carry them in the van rather than on a bike rack.

Thanks for any help or advice,

I agree with your comments regarding age and the old bones etc. However, the majority of folding bikes have wheel sizes in the 20 inch range. That is not a big issue in itself, but some feel that the range is slightly restricted. There is one version at 24/26 inches on the market that i know off:

http://www.asbikes.co.uk/electro-bike-elite-plus-22-p.asp

However, I have no personal knowlledge if they are good or bad.

We currently have 2 by 20 inch folding normal bikes which sit in the back of the car and we find them fine for pottering use. Again, I suspect our age and stiff bones would not encourage us to go further.

One thing you may wish to explore is whether any bike you choose has a 'self propelling' facility. If so, and most UK bikes do, then it will not be legal in Spain unless you have insurance, helmets and the appropriate paperwork as it is classed as a moped.

Cannot recommend AS Electric Bikes enough. We bought me the 26 inch version with one battery, this gives about 30 miles on a full battery if you use it a lot, or much longer if you only use the electric now and again like I do.

They do a 20 inch version and both with either one battery or two. They are based in Coventry.

I think they only sell at shows, but I could be wrong. Best to check out their website.

http://www.asbikes.co.uk

I endorse Cheryl's comments about AS Bikes. WE've had the 20" folding variety for over 3 yrs and they've given us excellent service for that time- ridden them quite "hard" too!

After sales service from the company is excellent.

I have a Pro rider E Wayfarer that I have been pleased with and has been used to make hills easy and let us gain access to historic towns, cycleways along rivers and coastline that would not otherwise be possible in a motorhome. That said my husband doesn't rate the gears when he has tried it ( I think I have a more leisurely approach so it doesn't worry me) ...but I have found it a bit heavy to manoeuver when I have had to push it up/down slopes accessing cycle routes along railway embankments.

I tried the full size wheel bike at the same place before I bought, but at 5ft 6 the seat was too high for comfort.

The Wayfarer bike with 20 inch wheels does fold but is not light to handle so it is not something you would wish to do on a daily basis.....it is easier on a low level cycle rack able to carrying the weight.

Alison12 - 2015-05-05 9:02 PM

I have a Pro rider E Wayfarer that I have been pleased with and has been used to make hills easy and let us gain access to historic towns, cycleways along rivers and coastline that would not otherwise be possible in a motorhome. That said my husband doesn't rate the gears when he has tried it ( I think I have a more leisurely approach so it doesn't worry me) ...but I have found it a bit heavy to manoeuver when I have had to push it up/down slopes accessing cycle routes along railway embankments.

I tried the full size wheel bike at the same place before I bought, but at 5ft 6 the seat was too high for comfort.

The Wayfarer bike with 20 inch wheels does fold but is not light to handle so it is not something you would wish to do on a daily basis.....it is easier on a low level cycle rack able to carrying the weight.

The Pro-Rider range are fantastic value for money and have terrific after care. The bikes are a bit on the heavy side but just compare the prices with the mega expensive lightweight ones: there is a choice!

Archived