Driven like it's stolen

paulmold

Travelled along M56 yesterday to Manchester Airport and was overtaken by an Autotrail Frontier on a 15 plate being driven at speeds approaching 90mph (don't ask how I know) weaving across all three lanes . On the one occasion I passed it I could see that both drain taps were open which explained the spray/mist created. Disgusting thing to do, as waste water would deposit grease onto the road and even if fresh water only, following motorists will tar us all with the same brush and assume it's waste water. Driven like it was stolen - maybe it was. I do have the full registration.

Guest Joe90
If I had nicked it the last thing I'd do is draw attention to myself by driving at 90 mph, it was probably an old fart who still thinks he's a boy racer................

Joe90 - 2015-05-04 10:34 AM

If I had nicked it the last thing I'd do is draw attention to myself by driving at 90 mph, it was probably an old fart who still thinks he's a boy racer...............

Guy in early 40's actually with his wife/partner in passenger seat. I was only able to pass him when on the odd occasion he pulled into the nearside lane and slowed to around 60.

rupert123 - 2015-05-04 10:53 AM

This has to be a windup. I doubt the van could do 90mph and certainly not weave around while it was doing it.

No wind-up, I was just sorry I didn't have my dash-cam (left it in the motorhome)

If it was a delivery driver and the full Reg Number was published, the buyer would at least stand a chance of finding out what has been happening.

Whenever I've seen a MH being driven very hard it's always looked like a delivery - i.e. driver on his own, maybe trade plates.

sean.clarke - 2015-05-04 12:04 PM

rupert123 - 2015-05-04 10:53 AM

This has to be a windup. I doubt the van could do 90mph and certainly not weave around while it was doing it.

You'd be surprised - my 3lt tag pulls like a hungry doberman on a leash up to 80.

80 I can believe, my old Swift Sundance with just a 100bhp engine would do that, but 90 no matter how much power you have a motorhome has the aero dynamic's of a small bungalow so very doubtful, especially weaving all over the road while doing it.

Guest Joe90
Must confess I find it a little difficult to see how anyone could see both drain taps were in their open positions, especially at 90 miles per hour, but give the bloke the benefit of the doubt, he may have just have filled his fresh water tank, and with movement they can overflow somewhat, besides many folk I suspect having drained their tanks do not realise there can be a fair bit more that can dribble out on the move, and it's only water after all, the same stuff that comes out of your screen washers. ;-)

Fiat quote top speeds of between 93mph and 101mph. At 90 on the speedo, you are probably doing 80mph. More worrying than the disgusting habit of emptying tanks on the road but possibly not enough to get a speeding ticket unless caught by one of the smart speed cameras that relate speed to vehicle type.

I thought all vehicles being delivered had to be on transporters or trade plates so it was either a a private sale, stolen, someone running late or having mechanical trouble.

Joe90 - 2015-05-04 5:30 PM

Must confess I find it a little difficult to see how anyone could see both drain taps were in their open positions, especially at 90 miles per hour, ;-)

You don't read responses to your own comments do you - I already said, I only managed to draw level when he moved into the inside lane and dropped speed to 60, then I could quite easily see the taps.

Perhaps the weaving from lane to lane was to get the remaining water to slosh about and find it's way out. It could also have been a hire vehicle being driven by someone who didn't care because it wasn't his.

And as for 'it's only water after all', well it might have been greasy waste water.

Ive been attending the Shepton Mallet shows for years and every time i go i see the dealers vans , passing everything in sight , most have trade plates , ive often said how i wouldnt like to be the buyer of any of them but , how would you know ? and it probably doesnt do any harm to the modern day engines anyway.

woody. - 2015-05-05 10:30 PM

Ive been attending the Shepton Mallet shows for years and every time i go i see the dealers vans , passing everything in sight , most have trade plates , ive often said how i wouldnt like to be the buyer of any of them but , how would you know ? and it probably doesnt do any harm to the modern day engines anyway.

Within reason that's probably correct, I take my MH for a good motorway blast for 20-30 minutes every year before it's MOT. Driving "like it's stolen", as described here, is however in a different ball park.

Guest JudgeMental
Billggski - 2015-05-04 11:13 AM

Probably being delivered to it's new (unsuspecting) owner.

Great minds think alike...,

Archived