Dethleffs Globetrotter XLi - Taps and water supply

JamesO

I wonder if anyone on here owns a Dethleffs Globetrotter XLi, I bought mine last July and for one reason or another have not had the opportunity to use it very much until now. My question is, how do you get the taps to work? I have both the 240v and 12v symbols illuminated on the control panel yet when you open the tap in either the kitchen or the bathroom no water flows from them. If I press the "Res" button on the control panel the water does flow but the tank starts to drain itself as well and I'm left with no water. Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

James

Hi

Have a Dethleffs but not that model. Any chance water is running out from under the van when the pump is working because a safety valve has operated because the ambient temperature has dropped below 4°C since you last used it.

Doug

firstly, is the water pump on?

secondly, there may be a seperate drain valve that allows the last but of water in the pipes to drain when draining down. i also had water coming out from under the van when i forst filled and realised it was this valve that was open.

• 4 weeks later...
That's my problem, I don't know how to switch the water pump on. The owners manual only makes reference to a pump switch on the Iveco based model whereas mine is a based on a Ducato. There is absolutely no-where in the manual any reference to any switch for the pump, all it says is switch the pump on but does not tell you how.

Is it a new dethleffs??? Our pump is under the bed and there is a blue turn key and also a blue button. These must be shut .fill tank with water then open all the taps in the hot position. There should be a noise from the pump then. This will allow the hot water tank to fill with about 12 litres of water when full the taps will start to run with water so turn them off then. If you hear water coming from underneath the van then the blue button or blue turn key on that water heater has not been activated. Try again. If you do not hear a pumping noise then check your electrics and that the battery is charged. If older model then it's the red pull up button on water heater not blue.

Is it a new dethleffs??? Our pump is under the bed and there is a blue turn key and also a blue button. These must be shut .fill tank with water then open all the taps in the hot position. There should be a noise from the pump then. This will allow the hot water tank to fill with about 12 litres of water when full the taps will start to run with water so turn them off then. If you hear water coming from underneath the van then the blue button or blue turn key on that water heater has not been activated. Try again. If you do not hear a pumping noise then check your electrics and that the battery is charged. If older model then it's the red pull up button on water heater not blue.

Guest JudgeMental

IF you have a submersible pump might need priming occasionally, as mine sometimes dont work if vans been laid up and just filled. I have to open tap put hand into tank and tap it until it splutters into life...

Just a thought.

chris - 2015-06-02 1:36 AM

Chris, many thanks for this. Yes mine is a new van and yes it did have the blue turn key and blue button under the bed. The turn key was in the wrong position and once turned, it worked perfectly. It's just a pity they don't make that very clear in the handbook, but once again thanks very much. James. :-D

JamesO - 2015-06-07 9:09 PM

...it did have the blue turn key and blue button under the bed. The turn key was in the wrong position and once turned, it worked perfectly...

Are you referring to a Truma “Frost Control” safety/drain valve as shown here

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-systems/accessories-water-system.php

or a different device, please?

To the best of my knowledge this valve being open or shut will have no effect on the operation of a motorhome’s water pump, although an open Frost Control valve will certainly have a negative impact on water reaching the taps. (And, of course, if the valve is open, when the pump operates water will pour out through the valve and end up beneath the vehicle.)

It would appear from Dethleffs motorhome-related on-line comments elsewhere that the water pump may not have a dedicated On/Off switch. I believe Dethleffs motorhomes may have a submersible pump or a pressure-sensitive pump according to the particular model. In the former case there might well not be a dedicated switch for the pump as tap micro-switches will do the same job, but I’d expect there to be a separate switch if a pressure-sensitive pump were used.

It should be easy enough to tell which type of pump a motorhome has - a submersible pump (immersed beneath the water in the motorhome’s freshwater-tank) will be quiet, but a pressure-sensitive pump’s operation will be relatively noisy.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-08 1:18 PM

JamesO - 2015-06-07 9:09 PM

...it did have the blue turn key and blue button under the bed. The turn key was in the wrong position and once turned, it worked perfectly...

Are you referring to a Truma “Frost Control” safety/drain valve as shown here

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-systems/accessories-water-system.php

or a different device, please?

To the best of my knowledge this valve being open or shut will have no effect on the operation of a motorhome’s water pump, although an open Frost Control valve will certainly have a negative impact on water reaching the taps. (And, of course, if the valve is open, when the pump operates water will pour out through the valve and end up beneath the vehicle.)

It would appear from Dethleffs motorhome-related on-line comments elsewhere that the water pump may not have a dedicated On/Off switch. I believe Dethleffs motorhomes may have a submersible pump or a pressure-sensitive pump according to the particular model. In the former case there might well not be a dedicated switch for the pump as tap micro-switches will do the same job, but I’d expect there to be a separate switch if a pressure-sensitive pump were used.

It should be easy enough to tell which type of pump a motorhome has - a submersible pump (immersed beneath the water in the motorhome’s freshwater-tank) will be quiet, but a pressure-sensitive pump’s operation will be relatively noisy.

Yes it is the Frost Control/Safety Drain valve and it was in the drain position, unfortunately the Owners Manual shows the valve as "fig. 197" but merely says "this is the drain valve for the Truma heater", once I turned the switch at the top of the valve water started to flow from the taps.

The pump is pressure sensitive and sits inside one of the cupboards in the garage and I discovered more by accident because again it's not shown in the Owners Manual the pump switch on the control panel situated over the habitation door. This is a button to the right of all of the dials and is marked "Res" once pressed the pump runs for a few seconds then stops, thereafter it kicks in as soon as a tap is opened.

Archived