Bergen campsites?

Alison12

Does anyone know of a good campsite near Bergen in Norway close to a train/bus stop into Bergen to stay at for a couple of nights in a 7m motorhome?. Mid August.

I have looked at the reviews but there appear to be more ones to avoid than anything else.

Thanks

Hi Alison and welcome to the forum.

Some years ago we stayed at Lone Camping in Epselon for a few nights - which we found o.k. at the time.

There was a shop and filling station alongside the site, and a bus from outside took us to Bergen.

It was busy in June when we were there, but we got in without booking - might be more crowded in August..

Good luck wherever you end up and have a good trip.

;-)

I've also stayed at Lone, but it was quite some time ago.

It was fine at the time, but seems to have more hardstanding than it did do (it was mainly grass when we were there).

There appears to be a decent public transport service to/from Bergen throughout the day, but it may require a change on the way (Bus to Bus, Train or Tram, depending on preference).

Thank you for the replies ...and all the pics. Amazing!

Our plan was to book a couple of campsites near cities on our trip as it is August and not worry the rest of the time ...but obviously I need to be more laid back about stopping points as when I looked at the Bergen Lone Camping website they wont take pitch bookings unless for large groups.

...as they don't take bookings, you'll be in the same boat as everyone else - just plan to arrive early.

Your post set off a "bit of a discussion" between myself and Mrs H as to how we had got into Bergen from the site (it was only 24 years ago (lol) ).

She maintained it was by bus; I had memories of driving to and parking at the station and going in by train.

Of course, she had to go and search out her diary to prove me wrong (She's still got her 1991 diary!!!! 8-) ) - unfortunately, she didn't B-) .

It was train from Arna. (which is more direct than any bus-route, since it goes through a long tunnel straight under the mountains). Nowadays, the bus service from outside the camp might be more convenient.

Robinhood - 2015-05-06 2:25 PM

...as they don't take bookings, you'll be in the same boat as everyone else - just plan to arrive early.

Your post set off a "bit of a discussion" between myself and Mrs H as to how we had got into Bergen from the site (it was only 24 years ago (lol) ).

She maintained it was by bus; I had memories of driving to and parking at the station and going in by train.

When I was there, more recently ( only 10 years ago !) we certainly went directly by bus from outside the site.

Took about 20 minutes on the bus if I remember rightly.

I also remember it was sunny on site and pouring with rain in Bergen.

Bergen has a reputation for being a bit wet.

;-)

malc d - 2015-05-06 2:41 PM

Bergen has a reputation for being a bit wet.

;-)

...hence the oft repeated joke about the tourist who had wandered about in the rain in Bergen for two days, and on asking a local "does it always rain in Bergen" the reply was "I don't know, I'm only thirteen".

;-)

Archived