What TV to buy

sakofox

My suggestion is to decide what you actually want from it. If it is to play DVD's as well, then obviously one that supports that is a good idea. However, as far as voltage is concerned, I really do not see an issue with that. Why not just use an invertor if you are desperate to watch tv while not hooked up to mains voltage? For example a 22 inch tv from John Lewis is stated as having a power consumption of 40 watts, so using 0.2 amps.

I swopped the small tv we had used (purchased from ASDA) for a larger one as we were having trouble seeing it clearly while sitting on the lounge settees. As far as DVD's are concerned we now use either the laptop with a 2 terabyte external hard drive. This holds all the programmes we ever need and is lightweight and easy to hook up. Some TV's will allow direct link up of the hard drive so making life even easier.

Where we tend to holiday is in southern Europe so watching live TV is not an option.Mind you in the sun, it is not an issue.

We got ours from Currys Has a DVD slot and is 12v, cost about £70.00 Can't remember the make, but I think it was the own brand Just the right size for our van. Use it with a dome .

PJay

We decided to simplify our setup and get a Avtex with built in sat receiver, much neater and lower power usage than our previous set up, and also much better viewing angles. We got ours from xsitems on the bay. But if you only want Freeview there's a whole load of other options, just make sure it has low power usage and good viewing angles.

The 'viewing angle' is the most important aspect for any TV destined for use in a Caravan or Motorhome. After price of course. For us Avtex sets are still the best.Despite their relatively high prices. Always re- tune quickly, which is important as well, as our locaction is always changing. IMO Avtex are worth the extra.

We have a Cello, claims to be a British company. Built in satellite, freeview and DVD. Runs on 12v or 240 v and is cheaper than the Avtex . Only problem I have found is the viewing angle in a vertical plan is not so good. Google "Cello" for the range but check the specs for features. Hope this helps

We to purchased one from Morrison's, yes picture is ok if viewing straight on, but was no good for us and hubby hated retuning every time we went out, unless you have the patience to do this hubby didn't, soon got shot of that.

Have had our Avtec for last 3 years been no problem, obviously more advanced again now since we purchased wouldn't hesitate buying another if needs be, more expensive but you get what you pay for basically.

dannyk - 2015-05-08 10:43 AM

We have a Cello, claims to be a British company. Built in satellite, freeview and DVD. Runs on 12v or 240 v and is cheaper than the Avtex . Only problem I have found is the viewing angle in a vertical plan is not so good. Google "Cello" for the range but check the specs for features. Hope this helps

We have have a Cello Traveller 19" for about 2½ years very pleased with it, sound like all small TV's is naf , we run the sound through the van's sound system.

I agree that viewing angle is important but I also think the colour quality of the TV makes a difference too.

I bought a couple of small TVs for use as bedroom TVs from Tesco. They have only a 240v cable, so not suitable for running on 12v unless you use an inverter. They are badged "Techno" and I think they are their own brand. Both have DVD palyers in corporated as well as Freeview tuners.

But they are not very successful, mainly because the colour isn't wonderful.. Not easy to explain what I mean but the image seems harsh, no matter what you do to adjust it. I think they are a cheap make and I wouldn't buy them again.

Thanks everybody for replying. I normally go cheapest but you get what you pay for so as someone else said, I have spent a lot of money on the MH so I have ordered an Avtex TV as many recommend it and I think AutoTrail use them as part of their sports pack.

I am sure we will have another question soon.

Archived