Dogs and vans

Barcobird

Being new to the motorhome world we decided to rent one for a week which turned out to be a fantastic decision.

However we have a question based on our observations. Why do so many people have dogs? Is it for security or cheap insurance. It's hardly fair on the dog and most we saw were walked close to the aires to do their business and some were let out in the early hours on their own. During the day owners left on bikes etc and the poor dog was left behind.

Must admit the idea of using France as a dog walk makes sense.

Responsible owners love their dogs and treat them responsibly so a better question might be around how many responsible dog owners motorhome. The answer is thousands with a handful not being responsible.

Dogs make good pets and the two I've had loved motorhoming.

I can't remember what the figures are but statistically a lot of motorhomers are going to have dogs anyway.

We find having our pet with us on holiday enhances the experience more than detracts. Dogs love camping (generally means more walks and interesting new smells) and we don't find it particularly restricting. Extra security clearly a benefit but I can't image it ever being a main driver for ownership.

As regards leaving them in the van, we do generally leave ours if we are going out kayaking, shopping or a longer ride. He is perfectly happy in the van for 4 to 5 hrs as he is used to this at home but generally we keep it to a maximum of 2hrs

I seem to remember reading that at least a third of Caravan Club memebers have dogs. No idea whether that holds true across motorhoming as a whole, probably not, but there are certainly lots of dogs in motorhomes.

We occassionally leave ours in the MH for periods of up to several hours and she never seems to be bothered at all. She's always sound asleep when we come back. We did come back once to find the inside of the MH much warmer than we expected it to get (on a sunny day in UK) so you do have to be careful about temperature because although you can leave roof vents wide open, you can't really leave any windows open. If we're on an EHU we would leave the roof aircon running if it was warm weather. Plenty of water for her to drink too.

I don't think it's a problem you can't deal with in order to leave a dog in a MH but you shouldn't assume the MH's insulated construction will be enough to prevent the dog overheating.

The French are appaling in the way they simply don't seem to bother picking up dog poo. Their streets are often like UK streets used to be a generation ago. (But they do make nice bread and cheese.)

One very important fact I didn't mention, this was in Portugal.

So I wasn't referring to a long weekend in Margate or Blackpool and then back home. My question relates to those that disappear around Europe over a period of months.

Guest Joe90

Portugal and back in a week, doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs.

P.S did you happen to bump into Frank whilst you were there ?

747 - 2015-05-06 10:26 PM

We don't do France but I believe your dogs have to crap everywhere.

I think it is enshrined in French Law. :-S

hi 747,

I think I would call myself anti-dog although I would not wish harm to any animal. However , having travelled a lot in France I must say the behaviour of dog owners on sites re dogs toiletry is no different than here. My wife and I jokingly thought dogs came issued free with motorhomes,but each to their own. I have seen 3 large type dogs plus owners in a not too big motorhome which seems a bit too much.The main problem is that EVERY dog owner is responsible and THEIR dog would not foul anywhere,yet you do see people walking dogs around sites and the dogs just being allowed to pee wherever,never seems to be on their own pitch.

cheers

derek

Barcobird - 2015-05-06 10:19 PM

Being new to the motorhome world we decided to rent one for a week which turned out to be a fantastic decision.

However we have a question based on our observations. Why do so many people have dogs? Is it for security or cheap insurance. It's hardly fair on the dog and most we saw were walked close to the aires to do their business and some were let out in the early hours on their own. During the day owners left on bikes etc and the poor dog was left behind.

. We chose Motohoming for our holidays because of our Dogs, we like the whole family to go on holiday and that includes the Dogs. They enjoy touring as much as we do, and have played and swam off the beaches on the Western Isles and in the Lochs in the Highlands. Dogs and Motorhomes go together like 'Peas n carrots'. Nothing to do with insurance. As for dogs peeing , its called scent marking, and most dogs do it, even bitches. Very little urine is expelled, otherwise they would need a bladder the size of petrol tanker. And they are marking 'territory' so they would definitely 'mark' their 'own' pitch. Whether you believe me or not, I always pick up after my dogs, I hate stepping in dogs muck the same as everyone else.We have 2 Labrador bitches 1x 12 years old and a rescue who is about 4. We never take them to Europe, as they don't have passports. Plenty of beautiful places in the UK that we have yet to visit, not been to Orkney or Shetland yet.

derek pringle - 2015-05-07 9:52 AM

747 - 2015-05-06 10:26 PM

We don't do France but I believe your dogs have to crap everywhere.

I think it is enshrined in French Law. :-S

hi 747,

I think I would call myself anti-dog although I would not wish harm to any animal. However , having travelled a lot in France I must say the behaviour of dog owners on sites re dogs toiletry is no different than here. My wife and I jokingly thought dogs came issued free with motorhomes,but each to their own. I have seen 3 large type dogs plus owners in a not too big motorhome which seems a bit too much.The main problem is that EVERY dog owner is responsible and THEIR dog would not foul anywhere,yet you do see people walking dogs around sites and the dogs just being allowed to pee wherever,never seems to be on their own pitch.

cheers

derek

Well, not being anti-dog, being an owner, I see things slightly differently. :-D

Sites. We only use Temporary Holiday Sites and the odd CS. When we arrive at a THS, I ask for a pitch close to an exit (so that we can get the dogs off site quickly and without passing too many other pitches). Its often ironic that there is Sheep muck everywhere on the field, nevertheless we try our best. Many times my plea is ignored by the Steward for 2 reasons. The first is the length of my van (8.2 metres) but the killer is the fact that my Hab door is "on the wrong side". :-( Therefore we have to park where we are told. *-)

When we wildcamp (sorry if I have brought on Dyspepsia to the OAL Colonel Blimps) we often do a bit of 'Wombling' to tidy the area of the usual McD detritus, Coffee cups and Fish 'n Chip wrappers. This often includes Dog faeces and we pick that up as well, otherwise we might tread in it. So who do you think gets more p*ssed off about dog crap? People who don't have a dog, or responsible owners (especially when there is a doggy poo bin a few feet away).

To the OP.

Bad choice of a subject. It always causes arguments. :D

As an experienced motor-homer and DOG OWNER I was very offended by this remark, and told you what I thought :-S but standing up for ones self is not allowed on this forum the thread was pulled.

So I will leave you to carry on being insulting !! but this will probably be pulled as well

HAPPY motoring WHEN you get one. I am off to other pastures.

maggyd - 2015-05-07 4:37 PM

As an experienced motor-homer and DOG OWNER I was very offended by this remark, and told you what I thought :-S but standing up for ones self is not allowed on this forum the thread was pulled.

So I will leave you to carry on being insulting !! but this will probably be pulled as well

HAPPY motoring WHEN you get one. I am off to other pastures.

Difficult to see what you are offended about MaggyD. Barcbird is reporting what he's seen and asking a question. How does that offend you personally? Surely you don't think that all dog owners are automatically thoughtful and considerate people?

No I know they aren't , but I found the tone to be implicating and sarcastic making a joke of anyone that has dogs! I just hope the person with the SMALL motorhome and three dogs didn't recognize themselves.

I found it strange that someone just hiring a van thought that this was the first thing to ask??

What I am mad about is getting my post pulled when there wasn't anything in it that was offensive. Unlike the original poster.

I was wondering the same thing Stuart....as I can't see anything "insulting" there...?

..although with bits of posts, some fairly innocuous, now getting "moderated"(..and leaving no indication that the missing text was ever there), I just assumed that maybe something had been deleted..?...maybe?

As for the question: WHY do so many MHers have dogs?...

I always thought that it was more the case that the owners had chosen a MH(and previously a caravan?) because they had the dog...as it gave them the means to take them with them? :-S

Oops! sorry maggyd, I crossed your post.. :$

(..so if you know they, the OP, aren't being insulting..and you're just a bit peeved at getting your post pulled, maybe you should redirect your anger..?... :-S )

However we have a question based on our observations. Why do so many people have dogs? Is it for security or cheap insurance. It's hardly fair on the dog and most we saw were walked close to the aires to do their business and some were let out in the early hours on their own

O dear, it doesn't matter which forum or what subject there is always one that takes offence.

I found my entry into the world of motor home travelling to be a pleasure and free of stress. We spoke with one couple on our travels and they told us of an incident about when they parked in an Aire next to another van. The owner immediately came over and said they couldn't park there because it was taking THEIR sunlight.

I would like to stress there was no sarcasm or induendos in my question, no exaggeration most of the vans we saw had a dog. I love dogs, have owned dogs but would never leave them locked in a van for hours at a time. However if I was a lowlife and liked breaking into vehicles I would be very apprehensive if there was a dog inside, a doggy alarm, maybe insurance companies recognise this and offer preferential rates?

One morning we did step out of the van and the floor was soiled with dog poo, not very pleasant.

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2015-05-07 9:47 PM

O dear, it doesn't matter which forum or what subject there is always one that takes offence.

I found my entry into the world of motor home travelling to be a pleasure and free of stress. We spoke with one couple on our travels and they told us of an incident about when they parked in an Aire next to another van. The owner immediately came over and said they couldn't park there because it was taking THEIR sunlight, maybe it was maggyd.

I would like to stress there was no sarcasm or induendos in my question, no exaggeration most of the vans we saw had a dog. I love dogs, have owned dogs but would never leave them locked in a van for hours at a time. However if I was a lowlife and liked breaking into vehicles I would be very apprehensive if there was a dog inside, a doggy alarm, maybe insurance companies recognise this and offer preferential rates?

One morning we did step out of the van and the floor was soiled with dog poo, not very pleasant.

So lighten up and don't take things so seriously, life is too short :-D

Just an observation ;-) .............

Your profile is a bit light on info?.........and so far have made 3 posts according to your post count ............Plus you clearly have experience of forums....."O dear, it doesn't matter which forum or what subject there is always one that takes offence".........

Yet you have decided to introduce yourself via a well known sensitive subject (?) ........

Did you not do any homework on forums before you bought your camper? :-S ...........

pelmetman - 2015-05-07 10:12 PM

Your profile is a bit light on info?.........and so far have made 3 posts according to your post count ............Plus you clearly have experience of forums....."O dear, it doesn't matter which forum or what subject there is always one that takes offence".........

Yet you have decided to introduce yourself via a well known sensitive subject (?) ........

Did you not do any homework on forums before you bought your camper? :-S ...........

I didn't realise it was compulsory to answer all questions on a profile but go ahead and ask if it is a worrying factor to you.

Forums have been around for a long time and I have many interests so no surprises there.

I didn't realise this was such a contentious or sensitive subject.

I haven't purchased a motorhome just rented it and have joined this forum to gain invaluable experience and knowledge before buying one.

Finally Joe90 I haven't got a clue who Frank is, it certainly isn't me, give me a few more clues and I might find him for you ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2015-05-07 10:52 PM

pelmetman - 2015-05-07 10:12 PM

I didn't realise it was compulsory to answer all questions on a profile but go ahead and ask if it is a worrying factor to you.

Forums have been around for a long time and I have many interests so no surprises there.

I didn't realise this was such a contentious or sensitive subject.

I haven't purchased a motorhome just rented it and have joined this forum to gain invaluable experience and knowledge before buying one.

Finally Joe90 I haven't got a clue who Frank is, it certainly isn't me, give me a few more clues and I might find him for you ;-)

So you've rented a camper for a week, and gone to Portugal?..........Hmmmm :D .........

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2015-05-07 11:28 PM

Pelmetman, look at my location! *-)

But your clearly not a local ;-) ............

Barcobird - 2015-05-07 9:47 PM

I found my entry into the world of motor home travelling to be a pleasure and free of stress. We spoke with one couple on our travels and they told us of an incident about when they parked in an Aire next to another van. The owner immediately came over and said they couldn't park there because it was taking THEIR sunlight.

I'm afraid that I too am a bit 'sceptical' about your actual motives .. if you really want help/advice about motorhoming then why would you start with 'criticisms' of dog owning motorhomers who apparently leave their dogs in MHs for hours on end ... surely if you really wanted help/advice you'd ask motorhome specific questions ...

As for your specific snipe at Maggyd ... that is totally out of order! There are enough people on this particular forum who are too quick to pick fights for the sake of it and you are giving them all the ammunition they need to start another one ... the question I have is ... why have you done this ...

Guest Joe90
pelmetman - 2015-05-07 11:46 PM

Barcobird - 2015-05-07 11:28 PM

Pelmetman, look at my location! *-)

But your clearly not a local ;-) ............

Odd that Barobird only added his location after the first few posts, I'll add mine shortly, timbuktu.

................patently obvious this user knows his way around this particular forum, the syntax is also the same, and we all know who likes a "spirited argument" as he puts it, and his very first post on the subject of dogs hits the mark nicely,

Saying I drink Sagres lager and wine from Monsaraz" is the real clincher, a bit of a connoisseur is our Frank, he'll be mentioning St Emilion before you know it.

never mind Frank, better luck next time ;-)

Now back to the election coverage :D After a PM to Duncan.

Archived