Using a Combi 6E just on gas

Sparks1061

Hi,

If I pull the mains fuse from my combi 6E will it isolate the heater from the mains completely? and will the heater still work on gas?

Some background, have just discovered that my Laika van had tripped the mains at some point in the last 2 weeks it has been sat on the drive. resetting the trip and plugging it back in results in a large flash and immidiate trip.

I am off to india on the weekend and back the evening before we are due to use the van for our first trip of the year, so have very little time to get this sorted. I strongly suspect the problem is the Combi, as I had some work done on it not so long ago.

So I would like to isolate the mains from the Combi, partly as the first step in tracking down the issue and secondly because if that is the cause, I don´t have time to get it fixed before I go away, and while I could manage the weekend without Mains I would rather not.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Hi, Without knowing your van, if the van has circuit breakers fitted turn them all OFF. Reconnect the van to the mains and turn the breakers back ON one at a time leaving the heater to last. If the van remains on EHU until the last breaker is turned ON then this will tell you where the fault is. Hope this helps.

Ninian - 2015-05-07 7:14 PM

Hi, Without knowing your van, if the van has circuit breakers fitted turn them all OFF. Reconnect the van to the mains and turn the breakers back ON one at a time leaving the heater to last. If the van remains on EHU until the last breaker is turned ON then this will tell you where the fault is. Hope this helps.

Unfortuately only the one circuit breaker so not an option.

Guest peter
If you have the boiler set to gas operation only it should not connect the heating element. The fan is 12volts so does not need mains supply either. There should be no need to pull any fuses. If it still trips the mains there is another problem.

Dave

As you will be aware, a Combi E can be operated on gas-only, 230V-only, or - in ‘mixed' mode - on 230V + gas.

As Peter advises, selecting gas-only operation should have no impact on the heater’s 230V operation. The only caveat is that you might inadvertently select 230V or ‘mixed’ mode and (assuming that it’s the heater that’s tripping the mains power supply) this might cause the supply to trip.

I suspect that removing your Combi’s 230V fuse will have no effect on gas-only operation and should certainly prevent the heater from tripping the mains supply. Removing the fuse should not cause any harm, though a Combi E’s electronics might dislike it and put the heater into fault state. If removing the fuse is simple I suggest you do it and see what happens.

OK rule number one when trouble shooting, check the bleeding obvious first!!!!

Mains circuit breaker keeps tripping? check the circuit breaker, which I eventually did and only when I took it apart did I find that the Live and Neutral out were both burnt to a chrisp and molded togeather!

Now until I replace the circuit breaker and a short length of wireing I don´t know if that is the cause of the problem or the result of another one.

However when looking at the way the two wires were routed and how they were joined togeather I suspect it was the case that they have been rubbing togeather over time before finally making a nice little short.

Will report back once I know the answer, and thanks for all the suggestions.

And if any of you are experts on the Thetford C250 please checkout my next post.

OK rule number one when trouble shooting, check the bleeding obvious first!!!!

Mains circuit breaker keeps tripping? check the circuit breaker, which I eventually did and only when I took it apart did I find that the Live and Neutral out were both burnt to a chrisp and molded togeather!

Now until I replace the circuit breaker and a short length of wireing I don´t know if that is the cause of the problem or the result of another one.

However when looking at the way the two wires were routed and how they were joined togeather I suspect it was the case that they have been rubbing togeather over time before finally making a nice little short.

Will report back once I know the answer, and thanks for all the suggestions.

And if any of you are experts on the Thetford C250 please checkout my next post.

Archived