Replacement Exhausts

tintenter

I'm sure this has featured so I apologise for bringing it up. Our Hymer 514 is now 10 years old but still with the original exhaust which now needs replacing. Thinking the local Fiat motorcaravan centre could help I took the van round there only to be told that because the chassis is an Alko I need a specially made exhaust - but from where?

Longlife Stainless steel exhausts, nation wide will manufacture to suit any vehicle while you wait, had mine done in Caerfhilly South Wales fantastic job great price and great people to deal with, will also reroute if wanted to suite you and your vehicle.

...when an Al-Ko chassis is fitted to a Ducato cab unit, the exhaust is normally custom fabricated using bits of the original design exhaust (largely the front-pipe and boxes), joined with additional piping, in a cut-and-shut manner.

Since the chassis lengths and geometry vary enormously, and any exhaust work may take into account the ultimate converter's requirements for fitting bodywork and ancillaries, there are a large number of different designs, virtually none of which are available off the shelf.

In theory, Al-Ko should be able to source replacements, and certainly should have drawings available.

In practice, my dealings with them on the subject (in the UK at least) have always been somewhat abortive. (Along the lines of "Well, we might be able to source something, but it will be prohibitively expensive - we suggest you find your own fabricator).

There are a surprising number of outlets that fabricate exhausts, though few will work without the vehicle, and not all of them can cope with the size of a motorhome.

Longlife (as posted above) is a known supplier at some of their branches, but not others, and will work in stainless steel.

It is also possible to find fabricators that will work in mild steel - a good bet is to ask any local independent exhaust place if they know of any.

In theory, mild steel should be cheaper, in practice, many posters appear to have found that stainless can be sourced at not much of a premium (and maybe worthwhile if you're planning on keeping a vehicle).

I don't know about Hymer but I can tell you what a Burstner (same company) is like.

If your tail pipe is on the UK nearside then you have the Continental Left Hand Drive exhaust fitted. If it is on an Alko Chassis, it will still be the standard Ducato LHD exhaust (not a lash up).

If yours is as described there are 2 problems.

1. They are difficult to get hold of.

2. They are very expensive.

My advice, from personal experience.

1. Get a Stainless Steel exhaust fitted.

2. Buy a standard RHD exhaust and get a Garage to alter the exhaust hangers to suit. I did this on my last van (2003 Ducato on an AlKo chassis, Tag Axle model). The RHD exhaust is one third of the price of a LHD and it only cost me £65 in Labour charges to alter the hangers.

tintenter - 2015-05-08 2:28 PM

I'm sure this has featured so I apologise for bringing it up. Our Hymer 514 is now 10 years old but still with the original exhaust which now needs replacing. Thinking the local Fiat motorcaravan centre could help I took the van round there only to be told that because the chassis is an Alko I need a specially made exhaust - but from where?

. I would go for a stainless steel one, especially as you probably need a custom made one anyway. Just type stainless steel exhausts into Google,there will be a dealer in your area.

I agree with the recommendation to buy a stainless steel system and there are quite a few sources. The going rate is £99 or £499 for a better grade of stainless, which includes fabrication of a complete system.

My 2006 LHD Hymer system failed a few months ago (the front pipe broke at a flange due to corrossion) and to get me back on the road I searched for a front pipe. Got into a tangle trying to source one from a Fiat Professional garage but eventually they did establish that there was no difference in the font pipe for LHD/RHD. It became quicker to buy one off EBay for £50 delivered, which I got my local garage to fit. It was quick and easy but note the front joint (to the manifold) is a special one using springs and special bolts to allow for engine movement, so dismantle carefully - you will need to reuse the front fastening parts. The bolts at the flange to the rear of the front pipe will need replacements but they are ordinary bolts.

The rest of my system is still OK and I'm back on the road so I reckon I'm OK for this season but I will get a stainless system as the next step.

starvin marvin - 2015-05-09 11:50 AM

I've had two m/h exhausts fitted, one on an old Merc and the other on a Fiat X250, both were done in Spain, much cheaper than the UK. The Merc was rhd and the Fiat lhd. Simples.

I assume they were "simples" as they were on a bog standard chassis?

Greetings from the frozen north,

Had a problem with our Burstner T625 exhaust a few years back and had a complete new custom stainless exhaust made up and fitted by M I J exhausts in Walsall in the West Midlands. Price was very keen £290 ish + a bit of VAT if I recall, the price off local Fiat dealer in Inverness was horrendous!

Brilliant job and great fitters and welders took about 2 hours. managed to fit it in with a trip down to family

is Shropshire other wise it would have been a fair trek from Aviemore.

I will definatley use them again

www.mijexhausts.com 01922 645646

shortcircuit - 2015-05-09 6:15 PM

starvin marvin - 2015-05-09 11:50 AM

I've had two m/h exhausts fitted, one on an old Merc and the other on a Fiat X250, both were done in Spain, much cheaper than the UK. The Merc was rhd and the Fiat lhd. Simples.

I assume they were "simples" as they were on a bog standard chassis?

Not the faintest idea, just drove into a main agent garage, the Merc was in Lloret, the Fiat was in Denia, shown them the problem and asked for a new exhaust. What else would you do? I tend to leave technical things to techies, seems to work for me. Simples

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Even with it,it proved a fraught experience.I lost count of the number of workshops who said they could help only to be told that now they had the chance to see the van it was too big, too long, too wide for their entrance or workshop...

In the end Long Life HQ suggested Dave at Demand Engineering in Stonham Aspal in Suffolk (demandengineering.co.uk) and he couldn't have been more helpful. The stainless steel exhaust is garaunteed as long as I own the vehicle.

So,if you are an East Anglian Flat Earther with a motor caravan who need a new exhaust this may help.

Archived