Passes in the Pyranees

mansell

Hi Barry, Done the route but not in December. The scenery is fantastic, you could have brilliant sunshine or two foot of snow Using this route will take you through the Viella Tunnel (1640 mt) which runs about 6 km from Viella and Vilaller; approaches to the tunnel are not too bad but could have pot holes in places like wise the tunnel. At that time of the year I would advise snow chains. They are compulsory in some mountain areas of Spain anyway. Personally I would go for it after checking the weather forecast before leaving. If you don't fancy that way you could try the Somport (1200mt) we have used this many times over the years, it was the old traditional route through mountains. Enjoy your trip. Safe travelling Don

We have done the Vielha route in December, January and Feb. and the return in late April and early May and the only time it has snowed on us was in May. I agree however check the weather as we have met others who have had a lot of snow (and been stuck) in January

One other thought strikes me. If you do decide to use the Viehla route don't bother filling with fresh water before setting off up the hill (why carry all that weight up hill). When you come down the other side from the tunnel watch for the Km markings at the side of the road. Exactly on Km111 (easy to remember) there is a dirt pull off on the left, park here and look across the road where you will see two grey plastic pipes sticking out of the hill with water running constantly. This is spring water and the locals come and fill their containers here so do lorry drivers. Just be carefull crossing the road

[QUOTE]Frankkia - 2006-10-22 10:07 PM One other thought strikes me. If you do decide to use the Viehla route don't bother filling with fresh water before setting off up the hill (why carry all that weight up hill). When you come down the other side from the tunnel watch for the Km markings at the side of the road. Exactly on Km111 (easy to remember) there is a dirt pull off on the left, park here and look across the road where you will see two grey plastic pipes sticking out of the hill with water running constantly. This is spring water and the locals come and fill their containers here so do lorry drivers. Just be carefull crossing the road[/QUOTE] Unless your van is winterised and your tanks and piping are inboard you could have problems in winter filling up in mountain ares. I've seen a few frozen waterpumps in my time. We have to rely on containers until we reach warmer climates as our tanks are both outboard. Don

Archived