Reception problems with BBC TV News on Astra 2

I have just retuned my Oyster dish and system following the Astra 2 transponder changes in April.

I get about the same number of TV and Radio FTA channels when in northern France and now at home (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk) in the UK.

However, before the retuning and after I find that reception of Channel 165 BBC TV News is a problem.

Reception/picture and sound quality is OK when I first start watching but after about five minutes on the channel both picture and sound break up. The channel becomes unwatchable after about 7 minutes.

This only happens on this and a few regional BBC TV channels.

I don't have an auto skew facility so cannot make any other adjustments but as I'm right in the middle of the satellite footprint that should not be the problem.

The ENOX TV has a built in DVB receiver.

I have tried rebooting the Oyster system and rescanned the channels but neither seems to make any difference.

Is this another transponder issue?

Any suggestions on how to cure the problem would be much appreciated.

Ian, dont know of this will help bit, even at home in the middle of the footprint, all home sky dishes are skewed slightly, with the LNB turned anti clockwise 20 deg or so.

on my latest Telesat 85cm dish, I noticed that, even when at home, I couldn't get the BBC HD Channels but pretty well all others.

so I went on to the roof and undid the clasp securing the LNB and rotated it to mirror my home LNB (plus a bit because we spend a lot of time in France and Spain) and the difference was amazing....all channels pulled in at home and still got the BBC as far south as Annecy, only losing them at Valence.

even tho you dont have auto skew, perhaps you can make a manual adjustment on your dish.

on our new dish, the LNB wasn't skewed at all, it was on.y after testing all channels at home that I realised it needed tweaking....

well done....

ps, I should have said 'clockwise' not anti clockwise in my earlier post which you obviously twigged.

Caroline.

I am assuming you meant the Oyster "Cosmo" system.

All Oysters made after September 2008 can be updated via satellite and there are instructions which should have come with your system - If you haven't got the instructions you can download them here - http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/anleitungen/GB/BA/BA_GB_DigiAll_12-2012.pdf

Although the Astra signals have a "European" beam and a "UK spot" beam the reception even in the UK of the Spot beam (where the "Free to air and "Freesat" are broadcast from) can vary. The weakest signals are at the eastern extremes of Norfolk / Suffolk Kent and the far west of Cornwall so if you don't have the "Skew" set correctly or are using a very small dish you can have problems.

At the moment Astra 2G is undergoing final testing at around 43 degrees and will soon be in service at 28 degrees. That means that in the next few weeks (Early June is expected) even more channels will move on to the UK spot beams making them difficult to receive (even with 85 / 90cm dishes) east of Dusseldorf in Germany and from the south of France and southwards.

Archived