buying motorhomes in germany

haineya1

Hi There,

I did it just this year. Purchased lhd van at dusseldorf motorhome show from Campirama belgium. Imported to Uk with my british licence. Then drove it to my home in spain. I may change plates over when mot is due in a few years. Not possible at the moment as there is luxury goods tax on motorhomes, this will not be the case if the van is 6 months old or i have it 6 months. Can`t remember which. With the pound touching 140 euros, its gotta be the way to go??

Tom

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Andrew.

Buying a motorhome in Germany and temporarily registering/insuring it there should be (relatively) straightforward, but you need to be aware that the insurance cover will be basic 3rd-party.

To the best of my knowledge you will not be able to obtain (in Germany) ‘comprehensive’ insurance cover for the drive from Germany to Spain, and Spanish insurance providers are unlikely to offer cover until the motorhome has been registered in Spain. The latter restriction was mentioned here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Insurance-to-Import-Motorhome-to-Spain/37870/

Hi Lenny , you own one of the models on my wish list. Would you mind telling me if the white interior is compulsory and if so has it been a problem keeping it clean. Do all the 678 come with the over cab bed or is it possible to stipulate without, there's only two of us and weight is always a bonus.

Thanks Peter

Barcobird - 2015-05-10 9:41 PM

Hi Lenny , you own one of the models on my wish list. Would you mind telling me if the white interior is compulsory and if so has it been a problem keeping it clean. Do all the 678 come with the over cab bed or is it possible to stipulate without, there's only two of us and weight is always a bonus.

Thanks Peter

I take it by white you are referring to the upholstery , we have optional beige/light brown upholstery . All A-Class Hymers have the option of lockers instead of the drop down bed, on the Exsis it saves about 16kg.

As for weight we have given up trying to run at 3500kg just up rated to 3850, if buying now I would go for the 4000kg Maxi chassis.

lennyhb - 2015-05-10 10:00 PM

I take it by white you are referring to the upholstery , we have optional beige/light brown upholstery . All A-Class Hymers have the option of lockers instead of the drop down bed, on the Exsis it saves about 16kg.

As for weight we have given up trying to run at 3500kg just up rated to 3850, if buying now I would go for the 4000kg Maxi chassis.

Thanks, nice to know there are options. Problem upgrading weight is the license after 65 :'(

Barcobird - 2015-05-10 10:59 PM

lennyhb - 2015-05-10 10:00 PM

Thanks, nice to know there are options. Problem upgrading weight is the license after 65 :'(

Don't need a medical until you are 70.

lennyhb - 2015-05-10 10:08 AM

Eddie (Judgemental) managed to get full comp export insurance from his German dealer on his last purchase, so it is possible but not the norm.

Are you sure about that?

I’ve looked back through recent-ish forum ‘importing’ threads in which JudgeMental participated and I could not find any mention that a German dealer provided him with comprehensive insurance for the vehicle he was exporting.

Back in 2005 - when I was due to import a new Hobby motorhome from Germany - I was provided with a ‘comprehensive’ insurance policy by a UK provider. This was based on the vehicle’s VIN number and took effect from the point of sale in Germany.

I was never confident that this policy was legal (and the late Mel Eastburn, who was then the motorhome-importing guru, was certain it was not). I still had the short-term 3rd-party cover that was part of the German temporary registration process, so even if the UK-supplied insurance was potentially iffy, I would never have been uninsured.

JudgeMental’s case differs from mine, as my Hobby was brand-new and had not been registered when I took delivery, whereas his Possl motorhome was a few months old and would already have been German-registered when he bought it. I would not have thought this difference would affect the provision of insurance, but I guess it might.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-05-11 7:57 AM

Eddie (Judgemental) managed to get full comp export insurance from his German dealer on his last purchase, so it is possible but not the norm.

Are you sure about that?

I’ve looked back through recent-ish forum ‘importing’ threads in which JudgeMental participated and I could not find any mention that a German dealer provided him with comprehensive insurance for the vehicle he was exporting.

Yes 100%, I'm friends with Eddie, also he posted about it on Motorhome Fun.

lennyhb - 2015-05-11 8:38 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2015-05-11 7:57 AM

Are you sure about that?

Yes 100%, I'm friends with Eddie, also he posted about it on Motorhome Fun.

Presumably this is the MotorHomeFun entry, with the relevant posting being “JudgeMental, Mar 7, 2015”.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/buying-a-motorhome-in-germany-via-mobile-de.102041/page-2

(A few more details would be useful - like the cost and who the insurance provider is.)

Archived