Leaking side compartment door

boxer1

My nephews 2004 Autotrail side compartment door is leakink. I found approx 2" of water in the plastic storage tray. The door has a rubber seal around it and is leaking at the top. I have checked the rubber seal and the latches and all appear ok .Has anyone else had this problem and what would you suggest I do to repair it.

Inside the van there are cloth covered what I would call headboards around the walls of the seating area. These boards have batons of wood at the back of them which keeps them approx an inch out from the wall. The headboard that is located above the leaking door has what looks like a dark wet stain across it and rises from the bottom of the board up approx half ways. It does not feel damp to the touch?. If there was a leak at the window which is above the door I can not see how it would get onto the headboard as it is out from the wall. Could the water in the plastic tray be the problem when the van heats up on hot day and causes condensation. The seating also feels dry.Strange one I know.

The van is fitted with a Dometic fridge which when on gas has never worked properly from the day they bought the van. They have had more so called experts fix it for them putting on new parts every time. It works for the two weeks of their holiday and sometimes not and when they leave it for a few months they are back where they started. Is this normal for this make of fridge.

Boxer1

Hi Boxer

Fridges do like to be kept on the level, especially when in use. Is your nephew making sure his motorhome is level when on and off site. Does he use it mainly on electric or gas? More info might help some of the more technical people on here.

I know someone who couldn't find a leak in a locker and they put a bit of plastic L shaped trim over the door to deflect the rain (I presume it only leaks in the rain). It seemed to work for them, so might be worth a thought.

boxer1 - 2015-05-10 2:12 AM

My nephews 2004 Autotrail side compartment door is leakink. I found approx 2" of water in the plastic storage tray. The door has a rubber seal around it and is leaking at the top. I have checked the rubber seal and the latches and all appear ok .Has anyone else had this problem and what would you suggest I do to repair it.

Inside the van there are cloth covered what I would call headboards around the walls of the seating area. These boards have batons of wood at the back of them which keeps them approx an inch out from the wall. The headboard that is located above the leaking door has what looks like a dark wet stain across it and rises from the bottom of the board up approx half ways. It does not feel damp to the touch?. If there was a leak at the window which is above the door I can not see how it would get onto the headboard as it is out from the wall. Could the water in the plastic tray be the problem when the van heats up on hot day and causes condensation. The seating also feels dry.Strange one I know.

The van is fitted with a Dometic fridge which when on gas has never worked properly from the day they bought the van. They have had more so called experts fix it for them putting on new parts every time. It works for the two weeks of their holiday and sometimes not and when they leave it for a few months they are back where they started. Is this normal for this make of fridge.

Boxer1

I had a 2007 Auto-trail and the similar door on the off-side developed a leak. It was traced to the seal between the plastic frame of the door (not the door frame) and the white flat panel that makes up the door. I'm not sure how these are fitted together but the dealer who repair it I understand dismantled the door, sealed and re-built it. This was after we sold the 'van so I can't say how effective it was.

Hope that helps.

Keith

They would use the van for weekend at Easter and two weeks in the summer and then just the odd weekend.

The van is on level ground and I think would mostly use electric side and just gas now and again.

Regarding the door I am certain that it is leaking between the rubber seal on the door and the frame that is attached to the van. To find out where it is leaking at I closed the door tight and run water over it and from the inside the water could be seen running in. I also took a sheet of printing paper and closed the door on it and tried to pull the paper out. There was only one place where I was able to pull the paper out and it was the same place where the water was getting in. The door frame looks to the eye to be running straight across the side of the van and not screwed further in one place which would cause a leak. The only think that I can see wrong with the frame is the top has a slight curve in it.

Boxer1

Archived