Wheel bearing advice

thebishbus

At my last MOT I was advised of slight front wheel bearing play. My M/H is a 05/2001 registered 2.8 idTD Fiat Ducato 14 230 model (31000 miles). It seems that after 12/2001 front wheel bearings are non serviceable press out press in types, but before 12/2001 they are inner and outer tapered roller bearings.

My question is, is it possible to adjust / re-grease my bearings, or will they have to be replaced. If replacements are required, which ones, as there seems to be two different sizes depending on load. The bearing suppliers that I have contacted are not certain which ones I need even with having my VIN number. Any advice appreciated .

Brian B.

For the last 6 years i have had advisories on all wheel bearings 4 out of 6 times. This year not a mention of any play and it is still there. Original wheel bearings still fitted. If they are not noisey then they will be fine.

...the evidence I can find supports the fact that there are two sizes; one for the Ducato 10-14 (which will have hubs suitable for the original fit 15" wheels), and a larger one for the Ducato 18 (which will have hubs suitable for the original 16" wheels).

It seems most likely that you will need the smaller of the two.

If you want to do a check, the ePER available on the Fiat forum covers vehicles up to around 2005, and with your VIN number, you should be able to find your vehicle's original part number. (it isn't the easiest system to find your way round, however).

http://eper.fiatforum.com/

then "GO" on the first screen

"Spare Parts" on the second screen

"Fiat Commerciali" on the next

You should then be invited to enter your VIN number, and if you do, you should be able to browse all kinds of categories to find your original part number.

Guest Joe90

What an excellent link, ;-)

As for advisories I do wonder if sometimes this is about box ticking, in recent years I've had numerous advisories, none of them in subsequent MOTs were flagged up again, perhaps it's the dodgy MOT stations I've used. :-S

I have however had front wheel bearings go noisy, and had to get them replaced, but an advisory for slight play I'd ignore until they do go noisy, and bearings by their very nature need some slight play.

Thank you for the replies. Yes that is a very useful link Robin. My bearings do seem to be adjustable, but by replacement spacers ( 18 different sizes available ), or you can replace the whole thing as a kit. I now have the original part numbers, thank you again.

Brian B.

I had a front wheel bearing failure on my 2006 Hymer a couple of years ago. My local garage replaced it quickly and there didn't seem to be a problem getting the right size.

The failure was on the same side as I'd suffered a spring failure a year earlier, so the impact of the spring failue clearly damaged the wheel bearing too. I'd made it home from a European holiday (first noticed the growl from that wheel on the way out) but it lasted and did no secondary damage but by the time we gort home it was well and truly knackered.

Guest pelmetman

Noticed a vibration from the front end when I went round right hand bends, after descending into France from the Somport tunnel, it never got very bad but had them replaced when we got home...84 quid all in, which I didn't think was expensive ;-) ..........

Still a slight vibration from the back end now, which I put down to my wheel nut saga .......so I'll be changing those to, next service......

Fortunately wheel bearings seem to give you plenty of warning before they snuff it :D ........

IMO Fiats of various generations eat wheel bearings. In 8 years on 3 different vehicles I've had to have changed my4 wheel bearings, not hubs just bearings.

The vehicles were, 2.8 Tdi, 2.8jtd and my current 3.0 X250, it perhaps has something to do with the front geometry, or maybe cheap nasty bits.

IMO Fiats of various generations eat wheel bearings. In 8 years on 3 different vehicles I've had to have changed my4 wheel bearings, not hubs just bearings.

The vehicles were, 2.8 Tdi, 2.8jtd and my current 3.0 X250, it perhaps has something to do with the front geometry, or maybe cheap nasty bits.

I had a different experience with the amount of warning from front wheel bearings. I had purchased a "fully reconditioned," " this is how they should have left Solihull" 1992 Landrover Defender.

After some 3,000km the offside front bearing seized and I abruptly found myself stationary in the oncoming lane. Luckily no traffic around.

My local mechanic was convinced they had been assembled with no grease. :-(

Archived