Fiat Comfortmatic and Driving Licence Type

Dave225

I am asking what may seem a slightly daft question, but does the Fiat Comfortmatic classify as an automatic transmission for the purposes of being able to drive it with an automatic only licence issued in the UK?

I only ask because while browsing I came across a comment I think in an Australian Forum where the Fiat Comfortmatic is not defined as an automatic and automatic licence holders cannot drive it.

It seems slightly daft to me, but I would like to get confirmation because my wife has such an automatic only licence, and it would be a bother if she could not drive a Comfortmatic, if we chose to get one. To my mind it should be classed as an 'automatic' as although it has a clutch, you cannot operate it manually through a pedal.

I accept I may be worrying uneccesarily but it is always better to check. I suspect approaching Fiat would not be much good as they probably have no idea about it.

This is borrowed from the RAC. It may give you a pointer. A definitive answer would be wisest, I would imagine from DSA or DVLA.

"This is from the DT1 form given to DSA examiners and this is what the official guidelines state regarding automatic transmissions:

6.8 VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

A vehicle with automatic transmission is defined in regulations as `A vehicle in which the gear ratio between the engine and the wheels can be varied only by the use of the accelerator or brakes'. In general a vehicle without a manual clutch is regarded as an automatic.

The following points of driving technique are common to all automatic systems:

HANDBRAKE

The handbrake should be applied for temporary stops, e.g. waiting at a red traffic light, a junction, or in a traffic hold-up, if they are likely to be of a long duration

Short stops may not require the application of the handbrake

The handbrake may need to be applied to prevent `creep'

Faults committed in these cases should be recorded at Handbrake

FOOTBRAKE AND ACCELERATOR

The use of the right foot for both brake and accelerator pedals has considerable safety advantages. It is therefore recommended practice for normal driving, but is not necessarily applicable to disabled drivers. The use of the left foot on the brake pedal should not however be marked as a fault unless it involves the use of the footbrake against the accelerator

The use of both feet when manoeuvring in a confined space is acceptable if carried out correctly, i.e. speed is properly adjusted so that no large throttle opening or heavy braking pressures are involved.

Any fault should be recorded at footbrake and/or Accelerator, or in the 'control' box if it occurs in the reversing, reverse parking, or turn in the road exercise

6.9 PARTICULAR DRIVING SYSTEMS

FULLY AUTOMATIC SYSTEM

This type has selector settings for forward and reverse, neutral and/or park. It also has settings which enable the driver to select and retain a particular gear ratio or range of gear ratios, e.g. to obtain engine braking when descending a steep hill, although gear changes are normally made automatically. Most automatics of this type enable the driver to make an immediate change into the lower gear, to obtain extra acceleration, by means of `kick down' or part throttle operation actuated by the accelerator pedal. In nearly all cases the selector lever is mounted on the floor or the steering column in the position normally occupied by the gear lever, but there are exceptions, e.g. a panel of press buttons on the facia.

SEMI-AUTOMATIC SYSTEMS

With these the driver has to select the gear required by movement of the gear lever as with a manually controlled gearbox, but there is no clutch pedal. For driving test and licensing purposes these vehicles are regarded as automatics.

PRE-SELECTOR SYSTEMS

In these the gear is selected, before it is required, by manual movement of a selector lever, which is normally mounted on the steering column. When required, the gear is engaged by a single depression and release of the gear-change pedal, which is situated where the clutch pedal would be on an orthodox transmission.

6.10 `THE CLUTCH' AND `GUIDOSIMPLEX'

These adaptations enable a vehicle to be driven in manual or automatic mode. The candidate can choose which mode to drive the vehicle in and if successful should be issued with the appropriate DSA10.

Disabled candidates may use the vehicle for a test in automatic mode as a means of overcoming their disability. If successful, the candidate should be issued with a restricted licence in the usual way.

6.11 CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCHES AND FREE-WHEEL DEVICES

Vehicles fitted with these devices do not fall within the definition of vehicles with automatic transmission. The use of a free-wheel device or centrifugal clutch in addition to a pedal-operated clutch is at the discretion of the candidate.

6.12 SUBARU `HILL HOLDER' CLUTCH

The `hill holder' clutch is fitted to manual versions of the Subaru Legacy estate and saloon models. Drivers are advised that when stopping on an incline they should take their foot off the brake pedal while keeping the clutch pedal depressed, this automatically engages the `hill holder' which prevents the vehicle from rolling back. To move off the driver selects first gear, releases the clutch and drives on in the normal way.

Note: If any doubt exist about whether a particular vehicle is a manual or automatic, advice should be sought from Technical Standards Branch at HQ. This enquiry should be made prior to the start of the test and the candidate informed of the decision before starting the practical drive.

6.13 CITROEN XM PARKING BRAKE

Citroen XMs are fitted with an `emergency and parking brake`. This brake is operated by the driver pushing in a control fitted under the offside face vent and depressing an additional foot pedal situated to the left of the clutch pedal on the manual model and to the left of the brake pedal on the automatic version. The parking brake is released by pulling out the control fitted on the dash.

The emergency brake can be operated by applying the additional pedal, which will operate the brakes without power assistance. Drivers are advised not to drive with the release control pushed in when driving normally."

....I can find the following words embedded in 2007 legislation about the exchange of Driving Licences from other countries:

Interpretation

2. In this Order—

(b)“vehicle with automatic transmission” means a vehicle in which either—

(i)the driver is not provided with any means whereby he may vary the gear ratio between the engine and the road wheels independently of the accelerator and the brakes, or

(ii)he is provided with such means but they do not include a clutch pedal or lever which he may operate manually,

(and accordingly, a vehicle with manual transmission is any other class of vehicle);

...which is pretty definitive (if one inteprets it as "clutch pedal or clutch lever" which is all that makes sense!).

This would make the comfortmatic an automatic for driving licence purposes.

One would hope that (given what this order governs) this definition is in line with the consideration of a UK-issued automatic licence.

(original reference at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/95/pdfs/uksi_20070095_en.pdf )

Thank you for the responses. It would appear that if we buy one, then the 'boss' can drive it as well. I admit her driving is kinda of the American style.....you press the go pedal and steer, the rest takes care of itself until you need to stop. Well, she did take her test on a Granada station wagon and as the tester did ask 'could you have got anything bigger?' But she sailed through it and has been happy ever since.

I also admit that having the automatic for many years now, I would be loathe to go back to constantly pressing a pedal and moving a lever. One gets lazy in one's old age.

Archived