Carver water heater problems

boxer1

Now after sorting my nephews van I would appear to have problems in my 1998 autotrail. As most of the hard frost is over I took and filled her with water. As the water heater which is a Carver Rapide 9lt 1998 would not start on gas I took off the outside cover and found that water was on the striker system. On further inspection I found water weeping from the air release valve which is situated top left corner also when I checked inside the van I found water at the bottom of the tank.

I have checked the net and cannot see any clear evidence why there is water inside the van. I understand that the valve gives problems but the leak in the van worries me. Also the water pomp is leaking at the seal.

At the end of each season I drain the complete system down and leaving all taps centered and open. For the first time I took the van for a drive to move any water that could be lying in the system.

I am capable to remove the heater from the van if need be but I would like to know what has happened and may be able to repair without taking it out. There is insulation around the tank I couldnt get it off it was coming of in pieces.

What do I do to find out what is wrong and can parts be got for this age of heater. I hope I can as the prices for a new one is not good,

Boxer1

i

Well you won't get a new one as Carver are no more, although there is a copy called a Henry. You can also fit a Propex Malaga (they do a conversion bracket so it's fits in the same space as the Carver). the pressure release valve is easy to get replacement for but getting the old one out is a tough job and by the sound of it you also have a burst tank. Simplest may be to buy a second-hand Carver off Ebay.

I once had to replace a carver boiler cylinder,it was leaking badly found the old one had corroded through from the inside, I had always used Milton to sterilise the system, but calcium deposits in the tank had absorbed the chlorine then slowly ate their way through plastic liner and aluminium tank. I no longer use Milton.

All the screwed plastic connections on a Carver get brittle after about five years and crack causing the sort of leaks you have. Replacements are readily available but getting the old ones out can be fun. Some people swear by diving the tang of a file or the blade of a screwdriver into the plastic to get a grip but I prefer to drill them out with a drill a fraction smaller than the core of the thread and then pic the remains out with a sharp point.

That reminds me mine are due for changing.

See pics

53755243_CarverconnectionsR.thumb.jpg.bb14a6e3fb891bf5b35edb4b27cb9264.jpg

2086969694_DrilledoutconnectionR.thumb.jpg.3b1963fb65ef3afca63b13af46b0def3.jpg

boxer1 - 2015-05-11 7:09 PM

Rayisi what did u replace it with and where did you get it from boxer1

I managed to get one which was 'Old stock' but unused, at a dealers, this was about 2 years after Carver 'sold up'.Perhaps you could buy a 2nd hand one, purely for the Boiler Tank ?

Don't think they actually went bankrupt ? after all they had 90% of the Caravan/Motohome Boiler market, how could they fail ?? but they did.

Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-05-11 10:10 PM

boxer1 - 2015-05-11 7:09 PM

Rayisi what did u replace it with and where did you get it from boxer1

I managed to get one which was 'Old stock' but unused, at a dealers, this was about 2 years after Carver 'sold up'.Perhaps you could buy a 2nd hand one, purely for the Boiler Tank ?

Don't think they actually went bankrupt ? after all they had 90% of the Caravan/Motohome Boiler market, how could they fail ?? but they did.

Ray

They didn't go bust, they were taken over by Truma, who wanted them purely to get rid of the competition.

Stalwart thanks for the pictures they give me a better understanding of the connection before I take it out if I have to. I am certain that the air release valve is leaking on the outside of the van. From looking at your pictures could it be the valve is also leaking on the inside and not the tank. Is it possible to get the valve out without taking the heater out. How would I know if it is the tank I can not get the insulation of without breaking it or does it matter if it breaks of in pieces.

Rayisi the tank on ebay looks to be in good condition and gives me hope that the heater can be repaired and not have to buy a new one.

Boxer1

The heater has to come nearly all the way out out to change the connections. Its held in place by about four screws on each of its sides on the outside of bodywork. There may be enough cable to leave both the mains and 12V connections alone. The 12V is a plug in but the mains may need a small screwdriver if if the are too short .

There should be a large bend( almost a loop) in the gas pipe that allows the heater to be withdrawn far enough to change the water connections and drain and air release valve without disconnecting the gas.

One of the water connections ( the cold?) is a one way valve. Before worrying about the tank change them. and see if this cures the leaks.

Unless the tank is perforated the main problem is if the tank froze and stretched the central bolt that hold it all together. I have a nasty feeling its welded into the tank but may be wrong and its possibly replaceable.

Archived