Non EHU time expectancy

sakofox

Another newbie question. I read some rallies go on for 5+ days and there is no EHU on site. How long do the batteries last and do you just run the engine to top up? Or do you only stay two or three days before finding a site with EHU?

Depends on you usage, size of battery bank and if you have solar panels.

If you only have a single 90 A/H leisure battery 2-3 days in summer depending on usage.

Not a good idea to run engine to top up batteries, for a start it won't do much probably need to drive 200-300 miles to recharge a flat battery, also very annoying for other campers and if you have a particulate filter running the engine stationary is a good way to wreck it.

I have 2 x 95 A/H batteries & 2 x 100 watt solar panels, I can last indefinitely in summer and quite a few days in winter.

As Lenny said, it depends rather on how you use the power from the leisure battery. If you don't run a TV, or require the blown air heating and you have LED light bulbs, it shouldn't be difficult to last 5 days provided the battery is in good condition and fully charged to begin with.

We obviously avoid our leisure battery becoming flat, but unlike Lenny, ours re-charges within about 25-30 miles driving generally. So although your rally might be 5 days duration, if you go out in the van for the day - perhaps just once - you should be able to top the battery up that way.

We only have a standard single leisure battery and no solar panels, but haven't yet had a problem in five years. Having said that, we've only occasionally stayed in one place without moving for as long as 5 days without using an EHU.

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-05-11 7:44 AM

We obviously avoid our leisure battery becoming flat, but unlike Lenny, ours re-charges within about 25-30 miles driving generally.

Mike

Do you have a B2B charger to increase the charge rate as this appears to be very quick for a conventional set up?

We obviously avoid our leisure battery becoming flat, but unlike Lenny, ours re-charges within about 25-30 miles driving generally. So although your rally might be 5 days duration, if you go out in the van for the day - perhaps just once - you should be able to top the battery up that way.

Sorry I think you are under an illusion even with a B2B not possible, our Hymer has a similar setup (although not quite as efficient) as a B2B built into the Elektroblock will still take a days driving to recharge flat batteries.

As Lenny said, it depends rather on how you use the power from the leisure battery. If you don't run a TV, or require the blown air heating and you have LED light bulbs, it shouldn't be difficult to last 5 days provided the battery is in good condition and fully charged to begin with.

Mike

This ^^^^ ....

We could easily manage sat off hook-up (on festival sites) for a week+ with our previous vans (standard battery set-up, no LEDs, no solar, etc)..

However, being at an event, we wouldn't be spending that long at the van anyway (..so not sat tele' watching and probably minimal heater usage).

If it's only for the occasional, extended "off grid" stint,then before you get convinced that you need solar panels/ additional batteries/ B2B chargers etc, just give it a go first....

...moderate you usage(especially at the beginning of your stay) and see how you get on.... ;-)

Obviously, if you intend to do many off-grid rallies/camping then it may ( ?) be worth looking into some form of additional charging? (solar?.. B2B?)

We have just the standard battery that came with van and a 85w panel, we can last indefinitely with no EHU for 10 months of the year.

If you are buying from a dealer then thats when you have most leverage to get a deal on getting such extras fitted.

Colin is spot on.

Get a solar panel. Best thing we ever did. I am away right now an unusually for us we have been on the same spot for nearly two weeks. Not moved the van once. All we have is a 125AH battery and a single 100 watt solar panel but the clever bit is the MPPT controller. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200W-20A-12V-mppt-solar-charge-controller-LCD-off-grid-/130549038710

Dont ask me how it does it but by 11am this time of year we are topped up. I have the laptop running right now on 12v, TV and satellite whenever I want it and its almost like being on hookup.

Total cost. About £300. Would have been less if I was capable of fitting it myself but I had to get someone to stick it on the roof as Im useless.

To answer your original question though. about 3-5 days, less in winter

With a 40w Bosch panel in Spain we are charged back up by lunchtime. We use an 18" LED TV for a couple of hours at night, led lights and water pump. The charge controller switches to green by lunchtime sometimes sooner.

Archived