Deliberate road accident

colin

On way back from NEC today some c**t tried to get me to run in back of him. He pulled out to overtake a van (proboly his mate who would be witness) then hit the brakes. Luckily he totaly misstimed it, and even after hitting brakes three times it didn't work and I missed him. He then pulled back in behind van proboly waiting for next victim. When I got home phoned up local police, they wearn't interested, after several minutes of arguement they agreed to log it and pass to relavant force but I doupt they will as they didn't take my name and address >:-( >:-( >:-(

A long shot, but you might have more luck if you reported it to your insurance company as they do hold records that are cross checked when accidents etc occur. There may be a central database that they will be able to keep a record on, in case there are future claims by the offending parties and the insurance companies involved would then smell a rat. But then again they might give you the brush off as well! :-(

Why dont you ring the force who covers that area they must have told you. I bet you didnt talk to a policeman/woman who actually know the score i bet it was a telephonist or civilian worker. They are obliged to investigate even to what degree they think fit or at least if you had the number of the offending car make a police national computer report against that vehicle so when its stopped they can check out the vehicle.

A woman tried to do the same when we had the old converted Bedford Duple Vista coach in France about 16 years back. It took place in a town in France. When I got a camera out she got all evasive and left. My wife speaks VERY good french when riled!! It even made me take one step back when she launched her tirade in French.

This is a big scam in some parts of the UK. Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio 2 did a whole prog about it recently. We were advised to carry an instant camera and point at all the people in the offending vehicle/s which puts off opportunists. Insurance companies took part in the prog and told us that where 2 people would be in the offending vehicle, often 4 or 5 would make claims for things like whip-lash injuries - so taking photos helps the insurance companies too - it logs those repeat offenders and makes sure that only those involved on the day can make claims. Write a letter to the Chief Constable of the Force you reported the incident too and ask for a confirming letter that this incident will be investigated: quote the Jeremy Vine show to re-inforce that this is a common occurance. Contact the AA and RAC plus your insurance company with the area this happened in so it can be logged: and ask for confirmation of your complaint. I now have my mobile camera phone with me when driving. It has been said that offenders dash off never to be heard of again when one is pointed at them. Common themes are: overtaking them slamming on brakes: entering then stopping in front of a car at round-abouts/lights/junctions; indicating to turn 'right' then pulling back into the line of traffic ......... flashing from behind then running into the back of the vehicle deliberately as the worried driver slows down ........ How *was* the NEC by the way ;-)

[QUOTE]spartan3956 - 2006-10-18 10:40 PM Why dont you ring the force who covers that area they must have told you. I bet you didnt talk to a policeman/woman who actually know the score i bet it was a telephonist or civilian worker. They are obliged to investigate even to what degree they think fit or at least if you had the number of the offending car make a police national computer report against that vehicle so when its stopped they can check out the vehicle. [/QUOTE] I had brain fade, was looking in phone book for Bucks/MK police, but of course they are Thames Valley, I will be ringing them up in case they had another incident

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-10-19 12:38 PM How *was* the NEC by the way ;-)[/QUOTE] Interesting, lots of new vans, went to look at Deltflets globebus/van, but now am undecided between Adria Twin or Burstner coach built. Don't think there was many more vans than feb show.

Hello Colin, Unfortunately this is a well known scam in some areas especially in the home counties. I remember that a thread on this was posted on this forum some months ago about a vehicle slowing and waving another vehicle out from a side turning and then accelerating to "set up" an accident. Take a look at a thread on this forum posted by Don Madge "What to do if you are involved in a road traffic accident" 10/10/06 and my comments about using a mobile phone camera. Hope you were not stuck in the 25 mile traffic jam on the M6 on Friday afternoon, unfortunately I was. >:-( Regards, Mike

I used to travel from telford to Birmingham and back every work day for 4 years on what is probably the worst piece of motorway in the country. The appallingly low standard of driving from so many of the useless $%^&s i encountered made me wonder frequently if they were all out looking for an accident. I've seen truck drivers doing 56MPH with less than 10 feet between them and the truck in front while sending text messages on their mobile phones. I've seen some truckers making hot drinks while driving, I've even seen one frying bacon in a pan on one of those solo gas rings! I've seen car drivers(male and female) reading the paper while driving. This isn't so bad when you're stuck in stationary traffic but I found it a bit un-nerving when I saw one woman pass me (I was doing 70MPH) in the outside lane with a cup of coffee in her right hand, a ciggy in her left, the Daily Mirror spread out on the steering wheel and her mobile phone wedged in the crook of her neck! I'm so glad I don't have to use that motorway very often now. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-10-23 7:34 I've seen some truckers making hot drinks while driving, I've even seen one frying bacon in a pan on one of those solo gas rings! I've seen car drivers(male and female) reading the paper while driving. This isn't so bad when you're stuck in stationary traffic but I found it a bit un-nerving when I saw one woman pass me (I was doing 70MPH) in the outside lane with a cup of coffee in her right hand, a ciggy in her left, the Daily Mirror spread out on the steering wheel and her mobile phone wedged in the crook of her neck! I'm so glad I don't have to use that motorway very often now. D.[/QUOTE] Dave, You must be a fantastic driver to see drivers frying bacon in a truck cab and have time to see the Daily Mirror all at 70. Your observation, anticipation and forward planning must be first class to survive in those conditions. 8-) 8-) 8-) Another point your workshop camera has stopped at 0410 this morning :-D :-D about time you went to work. See you at Bridgwater :-D Don

this type of thing has been about for a while, the first deliberate road accidents I was aware of was a spate of them around Walsall on the M6 with cars sideswiping trucks (suicidal) then accusing truck drivers of changing lanes and colliding with them. Now 'brake testing' accidents seem to be becoming more common mainly on motorway sliproads where a car dives in front of a truck whilst braking hard. I've been a truck driver many years, and yes Dave I've seen all you say (well not the grilling bacon) and nothing surprises me anymore. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but the only defence against this accident scam is to drive defensively, make sure you have enough of a gap to stop safely and use your mirrors constantly, if another driver steals that gap then drop back! it may feel initially like you're giving in to road bullies but after a while it becomes second nature, you feel that you've more time and space around your vehicle and driving becomes a more pleasurable and safer experience.

I absolutely agree Kell. I now drive defensively and do all that you've just said. I try, wherever possible to stay just under the speed limit for the road I'm on and use the cruise control to help in this. On the motorway in a car I'll do 70MPH but in our motorhome its 55-60 cruising for a more relaxed journey. whatever I'm driving and wherever I am I like to leave a good distance between the car in front and myself. A few years ago I had a prang, totally my fault, where I rear ended a Jag. The car in front of the Jag stopped suddenly to turn right, the Jag (with big vented discs and ABS) stopped safely. I thought I'd got a safe distance between me and the Jag but when I saw his brake lights I braked and the front wheels of my work van locked. My brain said lift off and re-apply but my foot refused to come up off the pedal. I hit the Jag at about 20MPH and did 8 grands worth of damage to it! I now give a lot bigger safe distance between me and the car in front. D.

It happened to my daughter. He was a nasty, officious and foul person. Thankfully she phoned us and we were able to get there before the driver left. He wanted £500 to repair his £200 car. Afirst we were keen to avoid our insurance company to keep the no claims. Having slept on it I realised he would get the money and keep the heap. Decided to let the insurance company deal with. No doubt he still did well out of it but as he maintained to us the car was a right off (in his dreams)... Never did find out the outcome. And he claimed to be a professional driver! He tried through 2 sets of traffic lights but got her on a roundabout. I think she had learnt by then.

Archived