Need a screw

phodetheus

Two things I have noticed when driving our RV. 1. It has some pretty big blind spots close to the sides and 2. Its quite hard to judge just how close you are to the side of the road or the centre. I think I have got it sussed for the left side but the right I rely on my co-pilot Ann to tell me. This is OK but she doesn’t drive (well except me up the wall) and she only tells me once I am over it. Not something useful like you are 6.6343773 mm from the white line.

Read more on my blog here

I used to look after the left side and let oncoming traffic look after the right. I felt this was the best solution to a big rv, there are solid objects on your left but only a white line on your right. Abroad of course it is technically the correct way round, but I found this more nerve wracking and tended to stick to motorways and dual carriageways.

I know from the look on my wife's face when I am getting too close to nearside stone walls etc at home - or oncoming traffic abroad.

The more you drive it the less difficult it gets but it will always be something of a leap of faith when passing an oncoming tractor and trailer or speeding artic on a narrow road and when the mirrors start bouncing you know you are close enough to shut your eyes and pray!

When I'm driving I also tend to look in my left mirror to judge how far I am into the road O.H tells me " keep away from the bushes " but there is no contest in my eyes! I'd rather be scratched by bushes than get the wing mirror knocked off when the road is tight.

Our last two MHs had both beed LHD and although most of th time it's trouble free, there have been tight spots - I remember a terrifting journey from Kingsbridge to Slapton on a Deven A Road which would have been narrow enough to be a country lane elsewhere, and it seemed like a disproportionate number of breadvans and 7.5 ton box vans were heading home to Kingsbridge for the weekend, taking no prisoners at all.

I worked out very quickly that sticking as close to the left as possible was all I could do - and whenever a big vehicle loomed, I would stop altogether untikl it was past. Rarely did they slow down, never mind stop. But they were ptractised at narrow roads and knew their width to the millimeter so they just seemed to sail through. It was, well, very scary for me but perhaps not so dangerous as it felt at the time. I have been back to Devon since, and indeed that same road - but I timed it for a quieter part of the week.

Since I got my bus pass we have used buses, including for soem country lane journeys and I do admire how well the bus drivers cope. Theor vehicles are wider than mine and they manage, so it is possible, you just need to get to know you vehicle and then stay in practise at driving it.

Normally however the flat sides of our Hymer help enormously and you can see fairly quickly through the mirrors whether you are positioned correctly in the lane. In heavy traffic and on narrow roads there just isn't time to keep looking, so I use an aiming point (one of the windscreen wipers) to line up with the left side of the road to get me close to the left and concentrate on that.

Archived