Cobra and central locking

I have just purchased a new Pilote A class on a FIAT base and had a Cobra 4615 2-1 alarm fitted. I have two FIAT ignition keys but only one has a two button remote. One button locks it and another button unlocks it.

Being an A class it has one cab door and one habitation door and that's it.

The FIAT remote locks and unlocks both doors, no problem.

The Cobra system comes with two remotes, each with two buttons. The Cobra remote can lock both doors, but will only unlock the cab door, not the habitation door.

This doesn't make sense to me.

The explanation from the dealer is that modern FIAT commercials have a three button remote. One button locks all doors, one button unlocks the drivers door, and the third button unlocks the remaining doors. As I have only two buttons on the Cobra then it will only unlock the cab door!

But if the FIAT has only two buttons, then it has only one signal to send and it unlocks both doors. Why can't the Cobra send the same signal?

Anyone out there had the same problem?

....I was interested in this post, as I've recently (and at the last minute) declined the fitting of an Autowatch Canbus alarm on a new 'van.

I was progressing the option because I also only have one remote key (albeit a 3-button one), and the addition of an alarm remote which would also lock/unlock the doors was of some interest (as a cheaper way of getting additional remote access compared to buying an additional Fiat remote key).

I'm usually quite careful to state my requirements, and at the last minute my chosen installer confirmed that the alarm remote would not operate the vehicle central locking. (which certainly was my understanding - but he's the professional!)

He also stated that no pure Canbus alarm would do this.

So, I was slightly surprised by your post.

In searching for details of the Cobra alarm, however, it implies that locking with the alarm remote is only possible if CDL connections have been made.

Now, nothing is entirely clear in any of the alarm instructions, (particularly as it appears the Cobra alarm can be used in Canbus and non-Canbus mode) but given that statement and the feedback from my installer, one might surmise that the locking/unlocking via the alarm remote is not a Canbus function, but is a physical signal from the Cobra alarm.

I can find installation adverts that imply this is the case.

In which case, the locking activity will depend on the physical signal and connectivity from the alarm unit, and this may well limit the options.

Just something to think about ;-)

Our Fiat 250X Rapido (2010) has a cobra alarm that is switched via the canbus usint the two button Fiat ignition keys. (Passenger / driver and habitation door locks, with alarms on two locker doors)

May be a case of newer technology having less functionality !

Rgds

Thanks Robinhood for your reply. I looked on the web for Cobra information and its pretty poor and certainly not one bit technical. No installation manuals. Like you I spotted that a CDL (whatever that is) has to be fitted, but as the Cobra remote can "lock" both doors, I was guessing that this meant that a CdL has been fiited. Why can't it "unlock" more than 1 door? The FIAT remote can and with only one button.

This whole CANBUS thing needs to be better explained.

Does anyone know where it is well explained?

...the Canbus is a network that sends signals around the vehicle to control various electrically and electronically driven functions.

Where previously every light, etc. would be controlled by it's own pair of 12v wires, with a Canbus only a single pair of 12v wires is run to a node (controlling a number of functions local to it), along with a network circuit to a processor at that node.

So, if you have a node controlling the rear lighting (brake, indicator, reversing, fog, etc. lights), a single power circuit will be run to a node close to those, with branches locally to each of the lights. A digital signal sent via an additional Canbus connection to that node will switch the appropriate lights locally through the processor. e.g. activating the indicator stalk causes a processor close to the stalk to put a message on the Canbus, which circulates around the vehicle and is picked up by processors at the front and the rear that then switch their respective indicators.

It's a means of reducing the amount of wiring run in looms around the vehicle, (whilst increasing the electronic complexity) and advantage is taken to add logic to the process, e.g. on sensing bulb failure.

A Canbus alarm takes advantage of the system, by requiring very little wiring to function. Generally, at the base level, it has two connections to the Canbus to allow to capture all the signals circulated, and a positive and negative power connection. The alarm is also programmed to a vehicle such that it can interpret the Canbus signals used.

Gone are the days of adding contact switches to doors, etc. as the Canbus alarm can, for example, interpret the "door open" signals circulating via the Canbus. (which would switch on the courtesy lights, or trigger the door open warning on the dash).

To arm/disarm the alarm, the Canbus lock/unlock signal (triggered via normal key, or the use of the vehicle remote), is acted upon. This Canbus signal works the locking in these circumstances.

As I understand it (from what I've been told and what I've read in the various instructions) though the Canbus alarm will react to a lock/unlock signal created via the vehicle to arm/disarm the alarm, it will/can not reverse this process, i.e. it will not generate a Canbus lock/unlock signal in response to an arm/disarm request from its own, alarm, remote.

Implicit in the write-up is that it can perform a lock/unlock function in the same way as older non-Canbus alarms did (i.e. by a physical 12v supply jumped to the CDL - central door locking - module).

It seems to me then, that any lock/unlock you're getting from the alarm remote may not be using the Canbus at all, but is a wired function. If this is so, then the suspect area, if any, is not the Canbus.

....but I'm no expert. ;-)

I had a query about my Cobra alarm system status for insurance purposes and telephoned Cobra and received very helpful info. The 'receptionist' confirmed the status of my system but I did not understand the 'technicalities' of it so she put me through to their technical department and all was explained. Excellent service I thought.

Harvey

I have a Cobra system fitted and occasionally the habitation door does not lock when the cab doors lock.

My solution is to put my knee on the habitation door to put pressure on the door contacts - works every time in that mode. Also need to keep the contacts clean on door and door frame.

Never any issue with the cab doors.

Archived