v5 and vin info asked by possible buyer.advice sort.

tringy

Hi all.i have someone who wants to buy my motor home from an advert we placed. This person lives 4 to 5 hours drive from us,so they have asked for lots of photos and vehicle history.we provisionly done the deal. He is now asking for a photocopy of the v5and photo of the vin plate .he says he needs this to get credit from a credit union. Is this to much information to give out, to me it seems a bit suspect. What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks Tringy.

Ps .this was all done buy email , I have a phone number for him but when I ring it it says I will be charged for call so l have hung up and not spoken direct.

Sounds a bit suspicious, I can't see anyone getting a loan from a Credit Union to buy a Motorhome, not exactly what they are set up for & people usually only go to them when they don't have any other lines of credit.

Although to run an HPI check they would need the registration & VIN numbers, I wouldn't give out any other info, if they are serious they will come and view the van.

When I sold my last van I had a few of the scam emails wanting to buy the van at full asking price without seeing it, anyone who wants to buy your van at full price without seeing it tell them to get lost.

Only accept payment by bank transfer faster payments as these can no longer be recalled.

"Only accept payment by bank transfer faster payments as these can no longer be recalled."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with this is that several banks have faster payments limits of only £10,000.

My VIN is viewable through the windscreen so not a state secret!

A copy of the V5 is a bit much, I would ask what info he wants off it and just supply that.

Ask for the Credit Union phone number and if it's genuine you could email them a copy?

As has been said, any serious buyer would surely want a viewing and test drive, if he sounds serious it might be worth meeting half way?

I sold a vehicle once and the buyer travelled from Denmark to see it, arrived with a trailer, had a drive etc and paid me cash, I then had to sit and check the watermark and metallic strip on £5000 worth of £50 notes. They were all genuine.

H

Mike88 - 2015-05-14 11:31 AM

"Only accept payment by bank transfer faster payments as these can no longer be recalled."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with this is that several banks have faster payments limits of only £10,000.

That is only per transaction, I have made multiple payments of 10,000 within minutes from my Nationwide account, Santander is one that doesn't have this restrictions.

Yes , all advice very very very much appreciated, lo and behold there phone number is now unattainable. Have blown them out now and no reply to my last email, what a surprise. To all people who are selling private be very careful, I cant believe how much of sort of thing is happening or am I just a bit nieve, anyway thanks for all your advice and todays lesson well learnt. Regards Tringy.

It's a no risk crime, you never see the thief, he can hide away in another country and pretend to be local, it's too much trouble for the police to trace them, so they keep trying with ever more plausible scams.

You'd think with that amount of skill they could get a proper job.

Archived