P0638 fault code 2.3 jtd

MR Van Sales

P0638 fault code 2.3 jtd  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, I keep getting this fault code on my 2009 59 reg Ducato 2.3jtd.

Hear is the story so far..... I brought this van last year and have not use it much until now.

The previous owner paid about £1000 to have a throttle body, loom and O2 sensor changed which was only about 4000 miles ago.

Now after about 10 miles it hesitates and the engine light comes on with the code P0638 throttle body range / performance.I have found Nicks comments very helpful and have tried the following:

Removed the throttle body which looked quite new and had a label saying Fiat re manufactured, the flap moved nice and freely so I put it back and fitted a new pressure valve located under the wipers

But it still has the same fault.

I am wondering about the EGR valve could a faulty EGR valve cause this code?

I wondered if I blanked it off would the engine light come on?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Richard

A cheap check to make is filter and onwards throu to air mas sensor for mice, I now know of 6 vans that have had mice in the filters, on our van one got trapped in the bottom loop of inlet pipe and after a few miles would be sucked up against the sensor mesh for a minute or so then drop back.

Hi Richard, ihad the same problem and with nicks help sorted it.on my replacement throttle body the position of the electronic actuator was different to the original Fiat one in that the electronic parts position has been changed so any water that comes in doesn't sit on it .I can't see how a remanufactured part could change the original problem. I got my parts from Neat automotive parts. The new throttle body comes with a new lead which is longer .l also inspected all the wiring under the fuse box for corrosion in the multi plugs, ldid find some and carefully cleaned them and sprayed them with some electronic protection stuff.the fuse box is not difficult to get at , take the cover of and you will see two tab type clips on the side , just release these and the whole thing hinges and exposes the plugs underneath. You will have to undo some cable clips to give you some slack.the root cause of all these problems is water coming in from the wind screen scuttle on the right hand side.i put an extra drain pipe in.i also made an extra cover up to stop water dripping on the little valve thing under the wipers.i also inspected and cleaned as before the plugs no the ecu that lies behind the fuse box but make sure you disconnect the battery before inspecting all the electrics.hope this helps regards, Tringy. Ps if you get stuck just put another post on here lots of people who can help.

Archived